Grilled Chicken Caprese
It doesn’t get much better than Chicken Caprese for a quick and delicious summer meal. Grilled chicken breasts are topped with, melted mozzarella cheese, juicy cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and drizzled with a sweet balsamic glaze!
Main dishes like Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken and Honey & Soy Baked Chicken are not only easy, they are healthy dinners the whole family enjoys. They are well-loved family-friendly Chicken Dinner Recipes that are stress-free and delicious.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
SAVE this recipe to Pinterest!
Grilled Chicken Caprese
In our house summer is the time for ALL the grilled recipes. We hate turning on the oven during a heatwave so the grill is our go-to most nights from June-August.
One of my favorite things to grill is chicken because there’s just so many things you can do with it, and there’s just something about grilling chicken that makes it taste so much better, in my opinion.
My newest obsession this year is all things Caprese, so naturally, I found a way to incorporate some grilled chicken into the mix with this amazing grilled chicken Caprese recipe. This simple dinner recipe is full of flavor and is bursting with all of the fresh ingredients that are the epitome of summer cooking.
What is Caprese?
The term Caprese comes from the popular dish, Caprese salad that’s made up of made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil, seasoned with salt and olive oil, and occasionally paired with arugula.
While it’s amazing eaten just like that on its own, you can now find dozens of recipes that take those classic flavor combinations and add them to other recipes, such as pizza, sandwiches, and even grilled chicken.
How To Make The Best Grilled Chicken Caprese
To start prepping your grilled chicken Caprese, first heat your grill and brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Once the grill is heated, brush the grill grates with olive oil, or spray with a no-stick grill spray. Next, you will place the raw chicken on the grill and cook until the internal temperature reaches 155°. Add a slice of mozzarella to each chicken breast, and continue grilling until the cheese has melted.
As soon as the cheese has melted, remove chicken from the grill, place on a plate, and loosely cover with foil. Allow chicken to rest for a few minutes to continue cooking.
Lastly, in a small bowl gently combine tomatoes and balsamic glaze. When ready to serve, top each cheesy chicken breast with balsamic tomatoes and thinly sliced basil. Enjoy!
How To Pound Chicken For Grilling
It’s always best to pound your chicken before grilling to make sure it’s an even thickness all around to get the best cooking results. The easiest way to pound your chicken is to place the uncooked chicken breast or tenderloin in a ziptop plastic bag.
Place one chicken breast in the bag at a time, and remove as much air as possible before sealing. Once the air is removed and the bag is sealed, use whatever heavy object you have around to flatten the chicken. This could be a skillet, a meat mallet, or a rolling pin.
Once you’ve got the chicken pounded to your desired thickness (the suggested thickness is usually about 1/4 inch), you can remove the chicken breast from the bag and reuse the bag for the remaining chicken breasts.
What’s the Difference Between Grape and Cherry Tomatoes?
Grape and cherry tomatoes are very similar but their main difference is the shape they take. A grape tomato is longer and has an oval shape while a cherry tomato is much more symmetrical and tend to grow perfectly round.
Additionally, they have slightly different flavor profiles.
- Balanced flavor for a rich, sweet taste
- Meaty & crunchy
- Tastes more like a “traditional” tomato
- Very sweet
- Incredibly juicy and fresh flavor
- Crisp bite
Tips For Making A Perfect Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Fresh basil is a must for this recipe. If you use dried, most of the basil flavor will be lost and you’ll have a less flavorful end result.
- Fresh balls of mozzarella rather than pre-shredded is also a must. While there is definitely a time an a place where the pre-shredded mozzarella works great, this is not one of them.
- Use colorful cherry or grape tomatoes for a wonderful presentation
There’s no wrong way to serve this amazing grilled chicken Caprese recipe, but here are a few of my favorite pairings!
- a bed of your favorite pasta
- oven-roasted asparagus
- sauteed green beans
- an Italian salad
- grilled corn on the cob
Don’t Miss Out on More Summer Party Recipes!
Grilled Corn and Zucchini Salad – A fresh summer side that pairs well with anything off the grill. Full of flavor and lots of crunch make this summer salad a nice change from the classics.
BLT Red Potato Salad with Avocado – This easy red potato salad has an avocado ranch dressing along with bacon, lettuce, and tomato! It’s a simple crowd-pleasing side dish for any size gathering.
Garlic and Dill Flank Steak Sliders – Tender flank steak seasoned with garlic, grilled to perfection then topped with dill butter and melted cheese on a toasted bun – trust me it doesn’t get any better!
Strawberry Cheesecake Shortcake Parfaits – This easy Strawberry Cheesecake Shortcake Parfait comes together in no time and will become your go-to dessert in your recipe box.
Frozen Raspberry Margarita – Don’t settle for the same-old margarita this summer. Fire up the blender, grab some raspberry sorbet, and make a Frozen Raspberry Margarita. A quick refreshing party cocktail they will love.
Like This Chicken Caprese Recipe? Pin It!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Tools Used to Make This Grilled Chicken Caprese
This platter is my go-to for anything from dinner to backyard bbq party. The classic design is perfect for serving almost any dish in style.
I love using silicone basting brushes when grilling so I don’t have to worry about it getting damaged from the high heat. This brush can withstand heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
The extra-long handle on this grilling spatula helps make reaching the back of the grill without risking a burnt hand or arm.
Follow Along on Social Media
If you’re looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on Facebook, I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas, and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pound to an even thickness)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for the grill*)
- 1-2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 4 half-inch thick slices of fresh mozzarella
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Heat a grill to medium-high indirect heat. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush grill grates with olive oil, or spray with a no-stick grill spray. Place chicken on the grill and cook for 6 minutes per side (or until internal temperature reaches 155°) Cook time will vary based on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Add a slice of mozzarella to each chicken breast, and continue grilling for 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted (watch closely so it doesn't melt and slide off). Remove chicken from the grill, place on a plate, and loosely cover with foil. Allow chicken to rest 5-10 minutes to continue cooking.
- In a small bowl gently combine tomatoes and balsamic glaze.
- When ready to serve, top each cheesy chicken breast with balsamic tomatoes and thinly sliced basil. Enjoy!
- you can either oil the grill grates or spray them with no-stick grill spray
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 891mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.