Upside-Down Apple Pecan Pie (VIDEO)
This, my friends, is an apple pie like no other! Upside-Down Apple Pecan Pie is a self-glazing, award-winning pie that is sure to please any crowd. If you like pecan pie and apple pie, you’re going to want this apple pie recipe!
THE BEST Apple Pecan Pie
This is my all-time favorite way to make apple pie!! I found this upside-down apple pecan pie recipe in a little Pillsbury “pie” cookbook years ago, it’s listed on their site as a“Bake Off” WINNER in 1951! It’s a self-glazing apple pie that tastes as wonderful as it looks!!!
It’s easy to make too! Thanks to refrigerated pie crusts. Of course, you could always make your own pie crust, if you’d like. You will want to make enough for a 2-crust pie.
We’re going to make an apple pie that’s sure to knock their socks off!
CHECK OUT HOW EASY THIS UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE IS TO MAKE! WATCH THE VIDEO!
click to see more of my recipe videos
Does The Crust Get Soggy?
**Many people ask if the top crust is soggy- the answer is no, it becomes part of the topping, so it’s more like a one-crust pie after it has baked. Trust me on this!! I’ve made this pie more times than I can count over the last 20+ years, and I’m ALWAYS asked for the recipe!!
Grab Your Apron! Let’s Make Upside Down Apple Pecan Pie
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)(full printable recipe below)
In a 9-inch pie plate, combine pecans, brown sugar, and butter; spread evenly over the bottom of the pie dish.
Prepare the pie crust according to package direction for a two-crust pie (flouring each side of crust). Place bottom crust over pecan mixture in pan.
Press crust down around sides of the pan
In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. mix lightly.
Spoon into the pie crust-lined plate.
Top with second pie crust, and flute.
Cut slits in several places.
Place the pie plate on a cookie sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Cool the pie on a cooling rack, then place a serving plate over the pie.
Invert hot pie, and carefully remove pan. Some nuts may remain in the pan, replace on the pie with a knife.
Cool at least 1 hour before serving.
You’ll never eat/make a regular apple pie again!
LIKE THIS UPSIDE DOWN APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE? PIN IT!
MORE Apple Pie Recipes you might enjoy
Old Fashioned Apple Pie recipe from Simply Recipes
2 Ingredient Apple Pie Dumplings recipe from Spend With Pennies
Salted Caramel Apple Pie Recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Apple Berry Hand Pies recipe from Recipe Girl on TidyMom
Crumb Apple Pie recipe from Crazy for Crust
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 box of package refrigerated pie crusts (I prefer Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust or you can make your own pie crust)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 6 medium apples, sliced & peeled (I prefer Granny Smith and Braeburn apples)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Using a 9-inch pie plate, combine pecans, brown sugar and butter; spread evenly over bottom of pan.
- Place bottom pie crust over pecan mixture in pan. Press crust down around sides of pan and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour.
- In large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. mix lightly. Spoon into pie crust-lined plate.
- Top with second pie crust, and flute. Cut 4-5 slits in top crust, for steam to escape. Place pie plate on cookie sheet and bake at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove pie from oven, and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Place serving plate over pie and carefully invert hot pie. Remove pie plate. Some nuts may remain in pan, replace on pie with a knife
- Cool at least 1 hour before serving.