Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie with Streusel Topping
with recipe video
APPLE BUTTER PUMPKIN PIE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING is a delicious combination of flavors and texture that just screams “fall” with apple and pumpkin, in a heavenly spiced custard pie. The slightly crisp pecan streusel topping gives a surprising crunch in every bite.
I make some form of pumpkin pie at least once every year during the holidays! My family loves anything pumpkin. Crustless Mini Pumpkin Pies, Pumpkin Fluff, Pumpkin Pancakes, even this Smashing Pumpkin Cocktail!
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
SAVE this recipe to Pinterest!
New Twist To Pumpkin Pie
It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without a beautiful, pumpkin pie at the center of the table! The rich, earthy pumpkin with plenty of fall spices cradled in a flaky pie crust is so nostalgic – everyone looks forward to it all year long!
Did you know, most family Thanksgiving dinners include more than one pumpkin pie? No need to choose between the classic pumpkin pie, a chiffon pumpkin pie, or apple butter pumpkin pie! You can have all 3!
This Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie recipe is everything you crave about fall!! It’s the perfect twist to traditional pumpkin pie…hello apple butter! with a crumbly streusel topping that is packed full of spice that’s crazy DELICIOUS!! A wonderful addition to any Thanksgiving table!
Why Pumpkin Pie Should Be On Your Thanksgiving Table
It’s hard to imagine an American Thanksgiving table without the ubiquitous orange custard-filled pie.
- It’s a nice change from fruit pie. We enjoy peach cobbler, blackberry cobbler, apple pie, as well as blueberry, cherry, strawberry, and lemon pies most of the year. Pumpkin is a nice respite from all the fruity desserts. Apple Butter pumpkin pie gives you the best of both worlds — pumpkin and apple.
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, pumpkin is incredibly healthy. Cooked pumpkin contains 200 percent of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A.
- Pumpkin pie is ridiculously easy to make. It’s the perfect pie recipe even for a first-time pie baker. Simple ingredients are mixed in one bowl and can be baked in a homemade pie crust or in a pre-made pie crust (no pie crust judging here – I love to use refrigerated pie crusts or even frozen pie crust) Easy as pie!
Quick and Easy Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie has always been my favorite for the holidays but it seems to be a dessert that people either love or hate (gasp).
Whether you are team pumpkin pie, or team apple pie this Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie will change everything. I can’t wait for you to try it! This easy pumpkin pie recipe is slightly sweet and fruity from the apple butter, but still has all the traditional pumpkin pie flavor everyone loves and is fool-proof. It’s the Thanksgiving dessert you just NEED every year.
This pie is so simple and doesn’t really have that many ingredients. I usually start with a pre-made pie crust, because I want quick and simple. But you can also use this homemade pie crust recipe if you want to make it from scratch.
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)
Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie Ingredients
- pie crust
- 100% pure pumpkin (pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- apple butter (I’ve only used store-bought)
- evaporated milk
- packed dark brown sugar
- ground cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
for streusel topping:
- dark brown sugar
- chopped pecans
How To Make Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Place the pie crust in a 9-inch glass pie pan and flute edges
- In a large bowl combine pie filling ingredients and set aside. In another bowl, combine brown sugar and flour then cut in cold butter until crumbly (using a pastry blender, fork, or clean hands for this step). Stir in some chopped pecans and set aside.
- Pour the pie filling into the unbaked crust-lined pie pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted two inches from the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle streusel over pie filling.
- Return the pie to the oven, cover the crust with foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely, at least two hours before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Tips For Making Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
- Be sure to use 100% pure canned pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- Not all apple butter is created equally. Store-bought apple butter is what I use (it has a different texture than homemade). Thicker apple butter will probably be best, as it’s closer to the consistency of pumpkin.
- Signs that your pie is done: golden-brown crust, the filling will be set firm around the outside edges, and just sightly wobbly towards the center. The filling will become a lot thicker as it cools
- If the outside edge of the crust is browning too quickly, cover lightly with foil or with a piecrust shield.
- Be sure the pie is completely cooled and fully set before slicing. You can even chill it overnight – Great for making-ahead dessert.
- I often use my own Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe instead of the individual spices in this pie recipe. Just replace the spices listed with 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- Watch the video near the top of this post to see the step by step recipe!
How Long Does Pumpkin Pie Keep?
Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie should not be left out on the kitchen counter. Once completely cooled, if you are not planning to eat the pumpkin pie within two hours you should cover the pie loosely with plastic wrap or foil and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Like This Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie Recipe? Pin It!
Be the hero this Thanksgiving with this Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie. It’s an utterly DELICIOUS twist on the comforting classic…..there’s a spot on your holiday table just waiting for this pie!
Follow Along On Social Media
If you’re looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on Facebook, I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
recipe adapted from Lucky Leaf As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 8g
recipe adapted from Lucky Leaf
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.