Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
We are having the wettest and one of the coldest Octobers on record here in St. Louis.
So I’ve been in a soup mood!!
Soup is a GREAT Halloween meal as well, you can fix a big pot during the day, and easily eat before or after Trick-or-Treating!
One of my favorites at St. Louis Bread (Panera Bread) is their Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup!
So, I’ve been on a search for similar recipe! I found one and tweaked it just a bit for this Panera Bread Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Copycat Recipe
OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVED how this soup turned out!!
It’s filling, hearty and makes GREAT leftovers! Just be sure to add a little water when re-heating.
It will definitely become a regular in our house!
- 2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 celery
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Cook chicken breast – I cooked mine in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil until cooked thru (about 4-5 mins on each side), removed from pan and shredded with a knife and fork. **You could also use a rotisserie chicken, just pull chicken from bone. Set cooked chicken aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat saute garlic cloves in olive oil, then add carrot and celery and saute for a few minutes until softened.
- Add broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon by tablespoons, until thick, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully mixed and smooth. Cook until thickened about 5 minutes.
- Add cream mixture into broth and rice, stir slowly. Cook over medium heat until heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera