The BEST Brownie Recipe
Your search is over for the BEST Brownie recipe! These homemade brownies are decadently rich, chocolatey and fudgy with the perfect crackly top. You’ll never reach for the box mix again.
When it comes to brownies, I could eat a whole batch with no remorse, especially if it’s some of my favorites like Brownie Pizza, Peanut Butter Snickers Cheesecake Brownies, or Sandwich Brownies with Cookie Dough Frosting!
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
Table of Contents
The Best Brownie Recipe
It’s time to say goodbye to all of your favorite box mix brownies!
Is it just me or do brownies always come with this sense of nostalgia? I’m sure all of us have at least one fond memory of making brownies as a kid and tasting that forbidden brownie batter for the first time. There’s quite like memories of your first time getting to help out in the kitchen.
It’s why I think I always go back to my childhood favorite anytime I need a good dessert recipe. With that in mind, you might call me a bit of a brownie recipe expert. I’ve tried them all, box mixes, homemade, store-bought, you name it I’ve probably tried that brownie.
That’s why you should definitely trust me when I say this recipe is the best brownie recipe I’ve ever made in all my brownie loving years. We’re talking perfect fudgy to cakey ratio, spot on thickness, and rich chocolate flavor that will send you into a trance. These homemade brownies HAVE IT ALL!
What Makes This The Best Brownie Recipe?
I’m sure you’ve heard it all before “you’ve never tasted anything like these” “world’s best brownies” blah blah blah the list goes on and on. Everyone wants to claim their recipe is the best, but I am here to tell you that this time, I promise it’s different. Thanks to the lovely people from Tasty, I recently learned I had been making bronies wrong my whole life!
Thanks to the help of their research and trial and error, I have a whole new view on brownies. It’s not just about the ingredients you put into the recipe that matters, it’s also about you mixing and baking techniques.
I’m here to tell you now this isn’t your basic “throw it together” type of recipe, you need to be very exact and specific with every part of the recipe if you want it to come out to be perfection. It’s that precise mixture of high-quality ingredients and careful mixing and baking in this recipe that will have you on your way to saying “Wow that lady was right, these are the BEST brownies I’ve ever had!”
How To Make The Perfect Brownies
(Full recipe at the end of the post)
While this recipe is definitely not as easy as your standard box mix, I promise you it’s worth it! Just a handful of extra steps and you’ll be in dessert heaven!
Simply combine the sugars, vanilla extract, salt, and eggs in a large bowl and with an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Then add a chocolate and butter mixture and blend until smooth.
Sift flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until just combined. Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly puffed on top, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and lightly drop the pan on the counter 1-2 times until the brownies deflate slightly. Return the pan to the oven and continue baking about another 20 minutes.
What No One Ever Told You About Making The Best Brownies
Quality ingredients matter: Most of the time I will tell you to find whatever ingredients you have easily available to you, no matter the price point or quality level. A lot of times the higher quality stuff doesn’t make that much of a difference, but in this recipe it does, A LOT!
Due to some of the less common ingredients, you might have a few questions, and here are your answers:
- What kind of chocolate should I use? The higher quality chocolate the better. Make sure its either semi-sweet or bittersweet. I personally love the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate. It’s great quality with amazing flavor!
- Do I really need the espresso powder? Yes Yes Yes! A little-known fact is that coffee flavors in chocolate recipes make for an amazing right chocolate flavor. Without the espresso powder, your brownies will not be as rich. Espresso powder is also not the same thing as instant espresso. So, no you can not substitute one for the other.
- What is dutch process cocoa powder? Dutch process cocoa powder has a smoother, more mellow flavor that’s often associated with earthy, woodsy notes. Natural or “regular” cocoa powder gives the cocoa a sharp, almost citrus fruit finish. For this recipe, we really want that more mellow flavor.
Fold, don’t mix the flour: We’re always told not to overmix the brownie batter, yet I know I always just mixed in the dry ingredients all willy nilly until combined. With this recipe, we fold in the flour as not to flatten out the batter. We want that nice thick batter for thick fudgy homemade brownies.
Split the cooking time: It’s pretty typical to just throw the pan in the oven and forget about it until those 40ish minutes are up. Well, you’re not going to do that if you want the best brownies ever!
The way to get seemingly perfect cracks and a flat top on your pan of homemade brownies is to remove the pan from the oven after twenty minutes. Hold the hot pan with potholders about 4-6 inches over the counter and lightly drop the pan 1-2 times until the brownies deflate slightly, then back in the oven they go.
Serving Up Choclately Goodness – All the Ways to Serve Brownies
A la mode: We all know the fan favorite way to serve up brownies is with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! I 100% agree with that popular opinion because it definitely takes any brownie over the top.
Why stop at just vanilla ice cream though? Next time you’re having your “treat yo self” moment try these brownies with a cookie dough ice cream to make your own half baked combo! Trust me you won’t regret it! I also recommend a scoop of cookies and cream or a caramel swirl ice cream! All are fav favorites in our house, and I’m sure they will be in yours as well.
Drizzled with chocolate sauce and sprinkles: This topping combo is for those who don’t want to change the flavor combo as much as adding a scoop of ice cream but want a little pizazz to give the dessert that extra pop of chocolatey goodness!
If sprinkles aren’t you’re forte, no problem! Try adding graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter chips, or cookie dough bites. Those are just a few of my favorites, but really the possibilities are endless with it comes to adding to these brownies!
Wrapped up as a gift: If you’re feeling extra generous, or happened to make an extra batch of brownies, these homemade bronies make for the perfect gift!
To give the whole batch to one person, I love making a gift basket by cutting the pan into squares, stacking them and wrapping them in cellophane and placing them in a cute box or basket. Add a little ribbon and a name tag at the end for the perfect finishing touch!
You could also but each individual square in a small bag sealed with ribbon for personalized individual gifts, perfect for showers, parties, or office gifts.
Don’t Stop at Just One, Check Out Even More Decadent Chocolate Treats!
Triple Chocolate Caramel Bars Like a thick chewy brownie only better!! These indulgent cake mix bars are always a hit and easy to make!
Lindt Truffle Chocolate Cupcakes These cupcakes are baked with a Lindt truffle in the center, then topped with a Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Ganache is poured over the frosting, and then, we top the cupcake with a Lindt truffle to make things even better.
Chocolate Raspberry Bundt Cake An intense chocolate cake with a surprise raspberry filling and a hint of raspberry liquor in every bite. Covered in a Chocolate Chambord Glaze and simply garnished with fresh raspberries.
Chocolate Souffle Light as air, and melt in your mouth creamy, our Chocolate Soufflé with Bailey’s Crème Anglaise tastes luxurious and couldn’t be easier to make!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Balls These cake balls have all the delicious flavor of a chocolate covered strawberry. A perfect Valentine treat for your sweetheart, or dessert any time of year.
Cinnamon Roll Hot Chocolate An easy to make winter drink recipe that is sure to warm you up on a chilly day. This Rich and creamy hot chocolate is delish
Like This Recipe For The BEST Brownies? Pin It!
Stop What You’re Doing and Makes These NOW!
You’re probably already running to the kitchen to make these by now, but if you aren’t yet, I suggest you start running! I can’t wait to hear how much you love the recipe!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Your search for the BEST Brownie recipe is over! These homemade brownies are decadently rich, chocolatey and fudgy with the perfect crackly top. You'll never reach for the box mix again.
- 1 ¼ cups (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter (additional tablespoon or two for greasing the pan)
- 8 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, or bittersweet chocolate, 60-70% cacao, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Grease a 9x13-inch dark metal pan with softened butter, and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on all sides. Then grease the parchment with softened butter.
- Combine the chopped chocolate, ¼ cup of the cocoa powder, and the espresso powder in heatproof medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan pan and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes swirling the pan occasionally until the butter comes to a vigorous simmer. Immediately pour the hot butter over the chocolate mixture and let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk until the chocolate is completely smooth and melted, then set aside.
- Combine the sugars, vanilla extract, salt, and eggs in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer beat on high speed about 10 minutes until light and fluffy. The batter should resemble a very thick pancake batter.
- With the mixer on low, add the chocolate and butter mixture and blend on medium until smooth.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Sift the flour and remaining cocoa powder into the bowl and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly puffed on top, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Hold the hot pan with potholders about 4-6 inches over the counter and lightly drop the pan 1-2 times until the brownies deflate slightly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking about another 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out fudgy but the edges look cooked through.
- Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack
- Lift the cooled brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into 24 bars and serve immediately.
recipe from Tasty
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cake Pan, 9" x 13"
Glass Mixing Bowls
OXO 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set
Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Premium Baking Bar, 4 oz
E Guittard Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Rouge Red Dutch Process Cocoa, 8oz Can
Delallo Baking Powder Espresso
Hearth & Hand with Magnolia Potholder 2 Pc Black Cream Stripe Set Farmhouse Collection
KitchenAid Hand Mixer
Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.