Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
with recipe video
Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes is an easy to follow cupcake recipe for a tender vanilla cupcake filled with a luscious banana cream custard and topped with a banana buttercream…..reminiscent of banana cream pie.
I hope all you Mom’s had a beautiful Mother’s Day! I had a wonderful weekend that started with a relaxing massage on Saturday. I’m thoroughly convinced that every one should have a therapeutic massage at least once in their life! or better yet, at least a few times a year. Getting a massage helps you relax, relieve tension, and de-stress, and it also helps boost your immune system! It was just what I needed, and this one was one of the best I’ve ever had!
You know what else relives tension?………a REALLY good cupcake!! 😉
Allison wanted to take a special treat to the teachers and staff for her last day of high school last week…..and I love any excuse to make cupcakes!
We brainstormed flavor combinations for a few days until we decided on banana. But not just any banana cupcake, we wanted something luscious and cream filled ……reminiscent of banana cream pie.
You see, we filled tender french vanilla cupcakes with a heavenly banana cream custard. We ate this stuff by the spoonful! I almost had to make another batch for the cupcakes. We then topped the whole thing with a swoon-worthy banana buttercream frosting!
Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes Were a Hit
They were a HUGE hit at school, and my family says they are probably the best cupcakes we’ve ever made ~although I think they say that every time I make a new cupcake 😉
Allison said they remind her when you find a little gooey under-baked section in the middle of a loaf of banana bread (the best part, according to her).
I had a hard time coming up with a name for these cupcakes. But, Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes seemed to be perfect!
It’s hard to believe she has finished school. The next few weeks will be a whirlwind with baccalaureate, graduation, and parties. August will be here before we know it and we’ll be packing her off to college (making us empty nesters! gasp)…….hold me. I’m. NOT. READY……now excuse me while I go eat another cupcake.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Don’t be put off by how long this recipe looks. It’s really pretty simple cupcake recipe. I started by mixing up a batch of Perfect Cupcakes using a mix ‘recipe’ with my favorite French Vanilla Cake Mix. The custard filling and buttercream frosting recipe can both be made while the cupcakes bake and cool. Then use a sharp knife to cut out a cone-shaped section of each cupcake, fill with custard, pipe on frosting and decorate with a dusting of cocoa powder and a banana chip if you want!
I made 24 cupcakes in about an hour. Or you could make each step ahead of time, and assemble right before serving.
Let’s Make Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
CHECK OUT HOW EASY THIS BANANA CREAM PIE CUPCAKES RECIPE IS TO MAKE! WATCH THE VIDEO!
More banana cupcake recipes you might enjoy:
For the cake
- 1 box mix Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 Large Eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
For the Banana Cream Custard Filling
- 1 ½ bananas, sliced
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup +2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For Banana Buttercream
- ½ cup butter, softened (not melted)
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 ½ bananas)
- 6-7 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Garnish (optional)
- ¼ unsweetened cocoa powder
- banana chips
- Heat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, butter and water using an electric mixer on low for one minute, then mix on high for one minute.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling each two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool completely.
- Place all ingredients in blender and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture starts to bubble. Continue to cook the mixture until mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, cut out a cone-shaped section of the cupcake and set it aside (I like to sit the cones next to each cupcake).
- Fill cupcake holes with banana cream custard, and place cake back over hole.
- Scoop banana buttercream into a pastry bag fitted with a tip (I used a Wilton 1M), pipe frosting on each cupcake:
- Garnish with a dusting of cocoa powder and a banana chip
- Make custard filling and buttercream while cupcakes are baking and cooling. Or you could even make them ahead of time.
- *cupcakes are best eaten the day they are frosted, but will keep for several days in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator an hour or two before serving.
- Banana Cream Custard Filling from Bakers Royale