Vanilla Peppermint Cupcakes
There is a taste of Christmas in these Vanilla Peppermint Cupcakes topped with peppermint buttercream and crushed candy cane.
Yes, I realize it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, but the other day I had a huge craving for vanilla cupcakes and I’m always in the mood for peppermint, so I thought why not Vanilla Peppermint cupcakes? Honestly, these would be fabulous any time of year, but indulge me a minute, I had Christmas on the brain. —I even did a little Christmas shopping the other day!
Allison turned on our Christmas Pandora station and before I knew it, we were dreaming of a white Christmas! So Christmas cupcakes it is!!
You don’t have to wait until December to make these ……although they are the perfect treat to get you in the mood for the holidays!
I wanted to start with a vanilla cupcake from scratch……I hear Stef has found THE ULTIMATE Vanilla Cupcake recipe, test bake by 50 bakers and counting.
But I was in a hurry, and fell back on my very favorite perfect cupcake recipe using a box cake mix and make it taste like scratch – I’m sort of in love with Duncan Hines for making my life so easy. But I DO want to test out that recipe over at Cupcake Project someday soon!
If you could taste Christmas, it would taste like these Vanilla Peppermint Cupcakes………….don’t blame me if you make them and suddenly get the urge to put your tree up! They are not overly pepperminty, but oh my do they make your house smell amazing!! If you were to make these for Santa, there’s no way he would miss your house!
The day I made these cupcakes, Allison was going on a little road trip with a few friends and asked if I could make some as whoopie pies so they would be easier to eat in the car.
This was a fabulous idea – have you ever cut a cupcake in half to sandwich the frosting? That’s exactly what this was!
I used my whoopie pie pan, and baked the cakes….or do you call them pies? for about 10-12 minutes, then I frosted half of them, and topped each with another cake…..making Vanilla Peppermint Whoopie Pies! They were a HUGE hit!!
CHECK OUT HOW EASY THIS VANILLA PEPPERMINT CUPCAKES RECIPE IS TO MAKE! WATCH THE VIDEO!
click to see more of my recipe videos
Vanilla Peppermint Cupcakes
- For Cake
- 1 box mix Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon Peppermint Extract
- For Peppermint Crusting Butter Cream
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- pink gel food color (optional)
- crushed candy cane (optional for garnish)
- Heat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, butter, water and extract using an electric mixer on low for one minute, then mix on high for one minute.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling each two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool completely before frosting.
- Cream shortening and extracts in mixer for for 5-8 minutes on medium speed.
- Add powder sugar, one cup at a time. Slowly add in cream to desired consistency. More cream for a creamier frosting and less cream for a more still frosting (I prefer more still when I'm using it to pipe/decorate). Add just a little pink get food color, if desired, and whip until the color is well incorporated.
- To finish, scoop into a pastry bag fitted with a tip (Ateco No. 809 or Jumbo French Decorating Tip), pipe frosting on each cupcake: Garnish with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes..
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
Like this Vanilla Peppermint Cupcake Recipe? Pin It!
More Peppermint Recipes you might enjoy