Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes
The addition of diced fresh strawberries makes this Strawberry Milkshake Buttercream the perfect complement to the french vanilla cake beneath in these Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes!
I wasn’t planning on posting these cupcakes when I started to make them. I made them on a whim last week when I was craving a cupcake. They are so simple, yet turned out to be one seriously delicious cupcake!
I was browsing thru several “new to me” blogs one day, and someone had mentioned frosting that tasted just like a strawberry milkshake. I didn’t bookmark it or pin it……but couldn’t get those words out of my head. Then I started searching for the post, I couldn’t even remember what blog I was on. I don’t even think the post was about the cupcakes, maybe they just mentioned cupcakes they ate somewhere.
I started searching frosting until I found one that sounded good – with strawberry jello in it! I wanted to try it with Nesquik Strawberry Milk, but I didn’t have any, so I stuck with the jello.
One bite into these cupcakes, I realized that they taste amazingly like strawberry milk or milkshake — flashback to my childhood! I remember coming home from school, making myself strawberry milk and settling down to watch The Brady Bunch.
Not only do these Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes take you back to being a kid, the vanilla cake makes the perfect partner to the dreamy strawberry frosting. Best of all, you could easily tweak this recipe if you are more of a chocolate strawberry lover, by using chocolate cake!………oh I think I see another batch in my future, you know….to compare and see which is better! 😉
I used my favorite Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake mix, doctored up like I usually do, with butter in-place of the oil and a little less water.
I raided my cupcake liner stash, and found these adorable liners I picked up at Michaels a few weeks ago. I don’t know who makes them, or what they are called exactly, I can’t find them on the Michaels website, and I don’t see them on Amazon. But they sure are pretty aren’t they? I do remember they only came in solid colors.
These would make perfect Valentines Day treat, if you’re looking for something easy and delicious! If you’re a chocolate lover, I would use Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix.
*this post is NOT sponsored by Duncan Hines, I just love their cake mixes 🙂
Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines French Vanilla)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 2½ teaspoon strawberry flavored gelatin (jello powder)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- pink gel food coloring (optional)
- 4 strawberries, diced extra strawberries is you'd like to use as garnish too)
- Heat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, butter and water using an electric mixer on low for one minute, then mix on high for one minute.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling each two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening for 2 minutes on high.
- Add vanilla extract and gelatin.
- Slowly add powdered sugar then whipping cream until you reach your desired consistency.
- Fold in strawberries then add a little pink gel food coloring if you'd like your frosting more pink and beat on low just until combined.
- Pipe buttercream on to cooled cupcakes, garnish with strawberries or sprinkles.
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
Like These Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes? Pin It!
More Strawberry Cupcake Recipes you might enjoy:
Are you a fan of Strawberries and vanilla or chocolate? Do you have plans for Valentines Day?