Peanut Butter Crunch Black Bean Brownies | I’m Lovin It
Black Bean Brownies laced with peanut butter and topped with crunchy Reese’s Puffs cereal and chocolate for an over the top dessert.
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Black Bean Brownies! that’s one heck of a name isn’t it? I can’t tell you how long it took to come up with a title that gives these brownies justice!! A big thanks to Stef for helping me think it thru! She’s the queen of creative food, so I knew if anyone could give this recipe a name, it would be her!!
I’ve been intrigued by the idea of black bean brownies for a few years, but I’ve never gotten around to making them. I’ve heard some people say they were great, others didn’t care for them. Fast forward to the other day when I saw Naomi’s recipe for Crunchy Cookies & Cream Brownie Bars, I thought it might be the perfect recipe to test out some black bean brownies!
Steve’s birthday is tomorrow and there are 2 things that top his list, Coca Cola and peanut butter. You may remember that last year I made him Coca Cola Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting so this year I thought I could take Naomi’s recipe and change it up a bit using Reese’s Puff’s cereal, peanut butter and sneak in the black bean brownies!!
Of course I was a little skeptical at first………but I was sold after one bite!! The black beans get pureed smooth and knock down the fat and kick up the protein a little.
…………yes, I’m fully aware that by adding the peanut butter, cereal and more chocolate on top that these brownies are no where near healthy, but now I know, they would be just as delicious all on their own!
Bake them in a parchment lined 9-inch square pan so you can easily remove them to cut into small servings. They don’t take much effort at all to make, and I PROMISE you’ll be happy you did!!
My family had NO clue that these were black bean brownies! Tell me…….do YOU see any beans in these brownies?
Black Bean Brownies laced with peanut butter and topped with crunchy Reese's Puffs cereal and chocolate for an over the top dessert.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (approx 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and pureed until smooth (I prefer Bush's Beans
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1¼ cup Reeses Puffs cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, bean puree, and chocolate pieces and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until melted and smooth. Whisk in sugar, eggs and egg white, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir into chocolate mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan; In a microwave safe bowl, microwave peanut butter for 10-15 seconds or until thin. Drop by dallops on top of the brownie batter and then take a knife and swirl the peanut butter through.
- Bake until top is cracked and a toothpick inserted in center has moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes (center will seem undercooked but will set further as it cools). Transfer pan to wire rack to cool.
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat on high power for 1 minute, stirring every 10 to 15 seconds, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. Add Reeses Puffs cereal and toss to coat.
- Spread cereal mixture over top of brownies, then refrigerate for at least 90 minutes, or until set, or overnight.
- Use the overhanging parchment paper to remove the brownies from the pan and slice. Brownies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 1 week.
brownie recipe slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
I’m Lovin’…….Black Bean Brownies
Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://TidyMom.net
Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!
*Don’t forget to come back over the weekend for the I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up post……where I feature a few of the great links!!
What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here
Disclaimer: I grew up in a house who used Bush’s Beans, I am now proud to be a brand ambassador for them. All opinions and views are my own.