Malted Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling
If you only have the chance once in your life to eat chocolate cake, let it be this Malted Dark Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling. You’ll die happy and complete, I promise.
I have a confession to make………cake decorating kind of scares me. I’m not sure why, but it does. For years I always just made cake using a 9×13 pan, frosted the top with a knife and called it a day.
Then not long after I started blogging, I began reading blogs that inspired me to try new things. So many share the most mouth watering, hip widening confections. Many believe cakes should be beautiful from the inside out. They generously share HOW to make and decorate cakes on their blogs.
I made my very first layered decorated cake, learned tips to decorate a Thin Mint Cake for my mom, I felt like a star when I made a gorgeous Rose Cake for my Aunt, and started to think creatively when I decorated a cake covered in chocolate chips for a friend’s birthday . Yep, I have baking bloggers to thank for all those amazing cakes!
If you hang around here much, you know how much I LOVE to doctor the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix just a little. It’s my very favorite for a rich, moist delicious chocolate cake.
I wanted to keep this cake more simple all around. So I made it using just 2 nine-inch cake layers, with just one layer of the most amazing Toasted Marshmallow Cream Filling. This stuff people was DREAMY!!! I’ve had marshmallow cream filling before, but toasting 16 large marshmallows to mix in with the marshmallow fluff is what puts this cream filling over the top. I’m already dreaming up more recipes I can use it in……….so stay tuned for another appearance of that star!
If you wanted to make a 4 layer cake instead, you could easily do so with the cake mix by using 8″ cake pans and cut your layers in half. But again…………simple was my goal here.
Since my cake was smaller, I only made half the Malted Chocolate Frosting that Rosie and Michelle made for six layers – so keep that in mind if you choose to make 4-6 layers.
Let’s get baking………..
Starting with a box mix makes this rich chocolate cake with a toasted marshmallow filling and a malted chocolate frosting a fabulous recipe they will ask for again and again.
- 1 box mix Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup Ovaltine Classic
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, melted and cooled (I used Ghirardelli )
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 (7.5 ounce) jar Marshmallow Fluff
- Position rack in middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Butter two 9x2-inch round cake pans and line each with a parchment round. Butter the parchment, then dust pans with flour, be sure to pat out excess flour.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add cake mix, eggs and water to the butter in large mixing bowl.
- Mix on low for 1 min. Then mix on medium high for 1 min.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-29 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Cool on racks for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto the racks, remove the parchment, and cool completely.
- Set oven to broil, and position rack in the lowest part of oven.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Place marshmallows in the center of the baking sheet and broil in oven, watch until golden brown and melty (about 2 minutes).
- Remove pan from oven, and carefully flip marshmallows over, and broil other side until brown (1-2 mins). Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar for one minute using the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and beat for 3 minutes on medium high. Add the marshmallow fluff and toasted marshmallows and mix on low for 1 minute.
- Break up chocolate into a microwave safe bowl, and melt in microwave on high in 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds until fully melted. Set aside to cool
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the Ovaltine, vanilla and salt and mix on low 1-2 minutes, until well combine. Scrape the sides and add melted chocolate, beat for 2 minutes on medium, then slowly add whipping cream beating on medium-high for 1 minute.
- Put one cake layer on a flat serving platter or a cake stand lined with strips of waxed paper to keep it clean while icing. Top the layer with toasted marshmallow filling, spreading it evenly with an offset spatula to the cake's edge. Top with second cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with Malted Chocolate frosting using an offset spatula.
- Remove waxed paper strips and enjoy with a glass of cold milk!
Cake is best served the same day it's made. MAKE AHEAD TIPS
You can bake, cool, wrap, and store the cake layers at room temperature for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month. frosting recipes from Sweetapolita
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board