follow TidyMom on Pinterest

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Enjoy the burst of lemon flavor from these light and soft baked cookies.  Lemon Burst cookies are made using a cake mix.

I had a nice response last week with the Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies we made.

One of my fabulous readers, Alicia of Home with the Hollands shared another cake mix cookies recipe with me in the comments.  It’s just as easy and involves a lemon cake mix and cool whip.

I’m a HUGE fan of lemon, and Heather wanted a special treat to take into work for a co-worker’s birthday ……… easy and delicious was all I had time for.

Lemon burst cookies

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Enjoy the burst of lemon flavor from these light and soft baked cookies.

Ingredients

• 1 box Lemon Cake Mix*
  • 1- 8 oz container Cool Whip
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. In medium bowl, beat cool whip, egg and cake mix until well blended. Dough will be thick and sticky.
  3. Drop by teaspoonfuls into a bowl of powdered sugar and roll to coat.
  4. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10- 12 minutes

Notes

*Try these using strawberry or orange cake mix for variety.

© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

NEW FEATURE: Save recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Lemon Burst cookies - TidyMom

You Might also enjoy these lemon recipes:

Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream

Lemonade Pie

Strawberry Lemonade

Lemon Pudding Pound Cake

Lemon Recipe Round Up- 16 recipes from top food bloggers

photographing FOOD® ebooks

If you’re new to TidyMom, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed or Email. I would also love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter! Thanks for visiting!
About TidyMom

Comments

1. 81

I baked these a couple weeks ago for a family get together and they were so fast and easy to make. I got several compliments! These cookies are good and they get eaten fast!

2. 82

Thanks for this! Can’t wait to try it! Do you know if I can trade the egg for applesauce?? My son is allergic to eggs, but these sound delicious and wanted to see what you thought. THanks!

3. 83
    Kimberly McCombs says:

I made these cookies and they didn’t turn out at all :( They are flat as a board, what did I do wrong? I used wax paper instead of parchment. Would that screw it up? They are super ooey gooey as well? I baked 12 minutes since they didn’t look done. Please help!!

• 84

I used parchment paper and they came out flat and gooey as well.

• 85

I used parchment paper and mine turned out very flat and chewy. After they cooled they are more like lemon chews than cookies… I’m not really of a mind to try it again either.
        And I don’t think you should be using wax paper to bake anyway. :) I’ve heard they’re not meant for baking in the oven.
        I had a friend who had the same recipe except with 2 eggs and she said hers turned out fluffy like marshmallow.

• 86

mine were flat… GREAT flavor, but flat. I also baked mine 12-13 min. I will try again with 2 eggs and see. I do know my coolwhip was nearly frozen in middle… thought that might have been an issue.

• 87

Just a very important fyi: Parchment paper is not the same as wax paper. It would be a very bad idea to ever cook with wax paper. Sorry to hear your cookies didn’t turn out well. I used to make these years ago…and true, some batches are better than others.

• 88

I have been making these cookies for years at Christmas. I originally got the recipe from Taste of Home ~ Lemon Snowflake cookies. That recipe calls for lemon cake mix with pudding. My cookies have never failed! My sister makes them as well. This year, she forgot to get the cake mix with pudding and hers were a flop. I think the pudding makes a difference. If I can’t find cake mix with pudding, I add a small box of lemon pudding to yellow cake mix. These cookies are a hit every time I make them!!

4. 89

I just made these and they are amazing!!! After reading commets posted before about maybe needing one more egg because they were to flat, I went ahead and made them with the 2 eggs and they turned out light and fluffy they are great and I WILL be making these again.

5. 90

Do you know if they need to be refrigerated after baking? Also, If I sent them in a package overseas, would they hold up well?

6. 91

I made these today and although inured nly the ingredients it said to (box of cake, container of cool whip, and 1 egg) mine did come out flat after baking for 11 minutes. I used wax paper and it seemed to be sticking to the cookies and I put them in the fridge a few minutes before attempting to take them off again! The flavor was awesome and i love the crackling effect from the powdered sugar! P.s. Be sure to have A LOt of powdered sugar available to make these cuz without it you will have a sticky mess! I made about 20 decent sized cookies! I will make these again and am curious too see how the 2egg approach will go!

7. 93

I know this is a older recipe, but hey is the cool whip frozen or thawed?

8. 95

Made these tonight as described and they turned out great! Am taking them into the office to share with everyone tomorrow. The trick is to not make them too big. When it says teaspoon, keep to the teaspoon size — if it’s too big of a spoonful then the cake doesn’t cook thru in 12 minutes.

9. 96

I used a silicon baking sheet instead of parchment, and mine turned out great, even with one egg! The cookies are soft coming out of the oven, but once they cool — YUM! Thanks for this great recipe.

10. 97

I suspect some of the problem with flat cookies is because some cake mixes are larger than others. Try one of the 18+ oz mixes as opposed to the brand that is around 15 oz.

11. 98
    Elizabeth says:

Does anyone know if the dough can be frozen and baked at a later date? Thanks!

12. 99

I have made these a couple of times. Once with chocolate cake mix and once with spice cake mix Both times they were a huge hit. Today I am trying red velvet.

13. 100

This receipt definitely works well if you use the “super moist” cake mix with the pudding mixed into it. Even my batch that burnt a little turned out tasting great!

14. 101

Tidy Mom:
    I just posted your wonderful Lemon Burst Cookies on my blog (http://barbaragarneaukelley.com/2012/04/13/whip-it-upfast/.) I made them today. Delish!

15. 102

I used the Strawberry cake mix rather than Lemon and I used 2 eggs rather than 1 . It was PERFECT!! I was nervous trying them. I didn’t use parchment or wax paper. I just used a teflon cookie sheet with a light coat of cooking spray. Light, fluffy and tasty

16. 103

I’m dumbfounded at all the people cooking with waxed paper!!! LOL! It’s WAXED! Meaning, it’s actually COATED WITH WAX!! Wax melts in heat! How do people not know this stuff? It’s complete and utter common sense! o.O

17. 104
    drevicmom says:

I have made these several times and I always end up baking them for about 20 minutes. The 10-12 minutes must be for little tiny cookies…not the teaspoon sized ones as recommended! They are SO yummy though! Just not sure what the perfect baking time is…either really raw or very tough…there has to be a just right! :)

18. 105
    Marlana says:

I made these like the recipe, but added two eggs after reading the reviews. I also made them the 1 teaspoon size and they turned out GREAT!! I noticed that the larger ones were a little flatter, so size is the key to a fluffy cookie!! Good luck!

19. 106

This recipe came from a fiction book by JoAnne Fluke– at least that is where I first saw this recipe. She called them Lemon Whippersnappers. Her recipe specified that you bake them on a greased cookie sheet. Also measure out the cool whip exactly– it called for 2 cups(stating that the 8oz cool whip container has about 3 cups)—also whip the one egg with a fork before adding. Side note: I accidentally made them better one day–lol– I thought for sure the recipe called for one 8oz pckg of cream cheese when I was making them the third time–but after I got the book out again- it didn’t but it was too late–so I suggest you try them with the cream cheese–AMAZING, Light and fluffy–EVERYTIME!!!!! Coworkers say it is like eating a cloud! lol .. hope this helps!!!

20. 108

We made these cookies for Father’s Day and they were ALL GONE by the end of the day. Everyone LOVED them. It was so easy the kids could make them on their own (9 & 12 years old). Now we are going to try it with some other flavors too.

21. 109

These cookies were AMAZING! I am not a crazy lemon fan but I like it enough….these blew my mind :)
    And a friend that loves lemon loved them too. I served them at a party and she took 6 home in a baggie!! I have been having 1 (or two!!) every night from the leftovers!! Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!!

22. 111
    Esther's gramma says:

My d-i-l and gdtr are allergic to high fructose corn syrup which is a component of Cool Whip. So, instead of using the ready made stuff, I simply took 1 cup “whipping cream” and beat it until medium-stiff peaks held their shape. Then I dumped in the egg and cake mix (Duncan Hines doesn’t use corn syrup.) and beat until well blended. From there I followed the procedure in the original recipe.
    I didn’t sweeten the whipped cream, figured the cake mix was sweet enough. And the cookies came out like the picture. They have a “melt in your mouth” feel. :0>

23. 113
    Cynthia S. says:

Sounds yummy! But is there a substitute for the whipped cream? We don’t eat it at all. Is it just for the moisture or for the fluffiness that you’d use it? Thanks!

24. 114

I’ve made these twice – once with lemon and once with red velvet – and they were a huge hit both times! I did notice that my first batch was a little flat, but I’m pretty sure it was because the cool whip wasn’t completely thawed. The second batch it was completely thawed and I beat the egg and cool whip together before adding the cake mix – perfection! Another tip – I used a #20 spring-loaded scoop. It’s the perfect size and helps deal with the stickiness. :)

• 115

Thanks for the tips, I did it like you said and they turned out great, like little lemon clouds.

I made them pretty small, I think I could have gotten 5 dozen if I’d scrapped the bowl down good.
      I wonder if a bit of lemon juice or lemon zest in the batter would enhance the lemony flavor without effecting the consistency.
      Definitely gonna try these again with different flavors.

• 116

My daughter & nephew made these last night and I had them add the juice from one lemon – although this was our first attempt in making them, nothing seemed to go “wrong” by adding the lemon juice: the cookies were still fluffy, had the taste of lemon, and the entire batch was eaten within an hour of being baked! Next time I think I’ll have them add some lemon zest as well – I LOVE lemons and always think lemon desserts don’t taste lemon-y enough, but these were probably the closest I’ve ever tasted.

25. 117

Love this light and fluffy recipe! I did 2 eggs and yellow cake mix and added lemon extract to taste!!! So good!

26. 118

These are awesome! I tried the lemon first and my Mom saw me baking them and had serious doubts. But she sure was a believer when she tried them! They are so good. My friends loved them. They are so addictive. I’m trying strawberry this weekend for a pink themed party. :) Thanks for sharing!

27. 119

Best cookies ever! Changed cool whip to 1 1/2c. and added another egg and they were perfect!

28. 120
    Cookie Lover2 says:

I got this recipe from a friend, used a moist Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix and added a package of Andes Creme De Menthe baking chips and they turned out the most delicious Chocolate Mint Crinkle Cookies! Messy to make, but amazing!

29. 121

I just made these for Easter with my daughter. They melt in your mouth. I used.2 eggs like you all suggested and foil w pam spray. You also must make them no more than a tspoon size (or all the same size) . Also they take about 18mins to bake, my first batch were not fully done but my second one came out terrific!. Just watch them until slightly brown. YUM!!!

30. 122

How many cookies does this recipe make?

31. 123

I just made these (used 2 eggs per all the comments) and my only complaint is they are too good. I’ve got to hide them before I eat them all!

32. 124

I tried these for a bake sale. They were a mess to work with. But they taste great. Very soft cookie. The recipe I had said nothing about adding pudding. Maybe that makes the difference. I might try them one more time with pudding but so far, except for the taste, this isn’t my favorite recipe.

33. 125

I used to make these with my Nana many years ago. The recipe (which I think is in my mom’s recipe box) came from the side of a Duncan Hines cake mix. We made strawberry cookies, but I love to use red velvet cake mix at Christmas or for Valentine’s Day.

34. 126

Tried these today, and they came out great! I used light cool whip (store brand), and added 1/8 tsp of lemon extract, beat the egg firsts hem added the cool whip, then the mix. They were light and fluffy. And I did cook them for an additional 3 minutes. Will try this again.

35. 128

how many calories is this recipe or per cookie?

36. 129
    NLB2MRSNLP says:

Omg, these came out great! I used two eggs and lemon zest. Yum!

Trackbacks

I’d love to hear from you, leave a comment