Recipes

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Enjoy the burst of lemon flavor from these light and soft baked cookies.  Lemon Burst cookies are made using a cake mix.

I had a nice response last week with the Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies we made.

One of my fabulous readers, Alicia of Home with the Hollands shared another cake mix cookies recipe with me in the comments.  It’s just as easy and involves a lemon cake mix and cool whip.

I’m a HUGE fan of lemon, and Heather wanted a special treat to take into work for a co-worker’s birthday ……… easy and delicious was all I had time for.

Lemon burst cookies

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 27 minutes

Yield: about 3 dozen

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Enjoy the burst of lemon flavor from these light and soft baked cookies.

Ingredients

• 1 box Lemon* Cake Mix (with pudding in the mix)
  • 1- 8 oz container Cool Whip, completely thawed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. In a medium bowl combine dry cake mix, and beaten egg. Mixture will be crumbly. Fold in thawed Cool Whip until well combined. Dough will be thick and sticky.
  3. Drop by teaspoonfuls into a bowl of powdered sugar and roll to coat.
  4. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon baking sheet. Bake for 10- 12 minutes or until slightly set and tops are cracked. Cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool.

Notes

Dough is a little easier to handle if you refrigerate about an hour before dropping in powdered sugar, but it's not required.

You don't want to make these cookies too big, the key is to keep them small.

Since the dough is sticky and to keep your cookie size small and consistent, try using a small cookie scoop to drop cookie dough into powdered sugar, for easier handling.

*Try making these cookies using strawberry or orange cake mix for variety.

NEW FEATURE: Save recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Lemon Burst cookies - TidyMom

You Might also enjoy these lemon recipes:

Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream

Lemonade Pie

Strawberry Lemonade

Lemon Pudding Pound Cake

Lemon Recipe Round Up- 16 recipes from top food bloggers

photographing FOOD® ebooks

@TidyMom or scan my HR code with your camera

@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera

Yum

177 Responses to “Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies”

1. Kristy Life n Reflection posted on July 30, 2011 at 11:05 am (#)

these are incredible! I’m pinning now!

2. Sommer posted on July 30, 2011 at 11:07 am (#)

Those look DELICIOUS! Would love to have you link to my party this weekend too!

3. ann posted on July 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm (#)

..I tried these years ago, and they didn’t turn out very well..help!
    My Cool-Whip was thawed..should it still be frozen??
    I know…how could I not figure out a three ingredient
    recipe!! I want to try again..they were so soft that they
    pulled apart on the cookie sheet..loving lemon in Washington
    State!!-ann

4. Robin B posted on August 1, 2011 at 8:06 am (#)

My grandmother made these when I was growing up….I use the same recipe but with a German chocolate cake mix and I add chocolate chips…my boys absolutely love this cookie…and at Christmas I tried it with a Spice cake and added cinnamon chips and chopped pecans then rolled them in powdered sugar and cinnamon mix then drizzled a powdered sugar and milk glaze over the top….very big hit!!.

5. Padgett Hoke posted on August 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm (#)

Just made these and they are delicious! thank you for the easy and yummy recipe!

6. Padgett Hoke posted on August 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm (#)

I just made these cookies and they are really yummy! thanks for the easy and delicious recipe!

7. Jodi posted on August 4, 2011 at 12:32 pm (#)

Made these for my neighbor’s birthday today! SO yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

8. starmonkey posted on September 5, 2011 at 10:49 am (#)

I’m making these now! The first batch just came out of the oven. They look sooooooo good!!!!

9. carole posted on September 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm (#)

I want to make these, but I get so upset when I waste stuff, so I need to know one thing: is the cool whip supposed to be frozen or thawed? Can someone who has already made them please let me know?

• TidyMom replied on September 5th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

thawed

10. Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers posted on September 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm (#)

you are pretty much a genius. that is all.

11. Kathy posted on September 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm (#)

I had gotten this recipe from a group that I volunteer for. They send these cookies to our troops because they don’t melt and spoil when they are sent over to Afghanistan. Treats for Troops will be in this Oct. Issue of woman’s day magazine and I think she had mentioned the cookies. They are wonderful and taste delicious.

12. Lisa posted on October 17, 2011 at 10:20 am (#)

I am going to try these today! Super Excited!

13. Laura posted on November 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm (#)

I can say my grandmother made these almost every week when I was young. Having 10 kids and about 28 grandchildren and around 40 great grand children at the time she passed she would make huge batches up. I can still remember helping her Strawberry is the best. Great cheap quick snack that goes a long way. Just do not over cook you will enjoy throwing those outside as disk lol.

14. Megan posted on November 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm (#)

I make these cookies, but I use Whipped Topping, and they have to set in the Fridge for an hour. I have a recipe that calls for 2 boxes of Lemon Cake mix, 3 eggs and 8oz of whipped topping. Everyone requests these.

15. S posted on December 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm (#)

I have had these bookmarked to make for a while. I loved the bright cheery color. None of the grocery stores near me carried lemon cake mix. I found my cake mix (Duncan Hines) in Target. I did substitute topping for the cool whip. I am getting mixed reviews from my family about the cookies. I didn’t get the same bright yellow that you did. I also found them to be very caky rather than a fudgy textured cookie. I turned a few into cupcakes, and after tasting them I think I find the batter too sweet for me. Is there anything I did wrong that would make my cookies not be the same bright yellow or more of a cookie than a cake?

16. Rachael posted on December 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm (#)

Seriously, use parchment paper. You will regret it if you don’t! My cookie sheets normally don’t give me problems but these lemon cookies did not like to come off the sheet. The cookies are great!

17. Blythe posted on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 am (#)

Saw this recipe on TT&J and just made them to donate to a fundraise. They are so easy to make and so delicious. I have to drop them off immediately or I will have eaten them all. They taste like yummy little lemon cakes.

18. Shira posted on December 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm (#)

I baked these a couple weeks ago for a family get together and they were so fast and easy to make. I got several compliments! These cookies are good and they get eaten fast!

19. Kasey Laughlin posted on December 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm (#)

Thanks for this! Can’t wait to try it! Do you know if I can trade the egg for applesauce?? My son is allergic to eggs, but these sound delicious and wanted to see what you thought. THanks!

20. Kimberly McCombs posted on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm (#)

I made these cookies and they didn’t turn out at all :( They are flat as a board, what did I do wrong? I used wax paper instead of parchment. Would that screw it up? They are super ooey gooey as well? I baked 12 minutes since they didn’t look done. Please help!!

• Bev H. replied on December 21st, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I used parchment paper and they came out flat and gooey as well.

• Ju replied on December 22nd, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I used parchment paper and mine turned out very flat and chewy. After they cooled they are more like lemon chews than cookies… I’m not really of a mind to try it again either.
        And I don’t think you should be using wax paper to bake anyway. :) I’ve heard they’re not meant for baking in the oven.
        I had a friend who had the same recipe except with 2 eggs and she said hers turned out fluffy like marshmallow.

• Courtney replied on January 11th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

mine were flat… GREAT flavor, but flat. I also baked mine 12-13 min. I will try again with 2 eggs and see. I do know my coolwhip was nearly frozen in middle… thought that might have been an issue.

• Tammy replied on February 17th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Just a very important fyi: Parchment paper is not the same as wax paper. It would be a very bad idea to ever cook with wax paper. Sorry to hear your cookies didn’t turn out well. I used to make these years ago…and true, some batches are better than others.

• Cherie replied on January 16th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I have been making these cookies for years at Christmas. I originally got the recipe from Taste of Home ~ Lemon Snowflake cookies. That recipe calls for lemon cake mix with pudding. My cookies have never failed! My sister makes them as well. This year, she forgot to get the cake mix with pudding and hers were a flop. I think the pudding makes a difference. If I can’t find cake mix with pudding, I add a small box of lemon pudding to yellow cake mix. These cookies are a hit every time I make them!!

21. CJWW posted on January 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm (#)

I just made these and they are amazing!!! After reading commets posted before about maybe needing one more egg because they were to flat, I went ahead and made them with the 2 eggs and they turned out light and fluffy they are great and I WILL be making these again.

22. Julie posted on February 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm (#)

Do you know if they need to be refrigerated after baking? Also, If I sent them in a package overseas, would they hold up well?

23. Lindsey posted on February 14, 2012 at 11:43 pm (#)

I made these today and although inured nly the ingredients it said to (box of cake, container of cool whip, and 1 egg) mine did come out flat after baking for 11 minutes. I used wax paper and it seemed to be sticking to the cookies and I put them in the fridge a few minutes before attempting to take them off again! The flavor was awesome and i love the crackling effect from the powdered sugar! P.s. Be sure to have A LOt of powdered sugar available to make these cuz without it you will have a sticky mess! I made about 20 decent sized cookies! I will make these again and am curious too see how the 2egg approach will go!

• TidyMom replied on February 15th, 2012 at 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing your experience. But just so you know, you are not supposed to put Waxed paper in the oven

24. pam posted on February 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#)

I know this is a older recipe, but hey is the cool whip frozen or thawed?

• TidyMom replied on February 16th, 2012 at 11:54 am

it should be thawed

25. Victorria posted on February 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm (#)

Made these tonight as described and they turned out great! Am taking them into the office to share with everyone tomorrow. The trick is to not make them too big. When it says teaspoon, keep to the teaspoon size — if it’s too big of a spoonful then the cake doesn’t cook thru in 12 minutes.

26. LeMira posted on February 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm (#)

I used a silicon baking sheet instead of parchment, and mine turned out great, even with one egg! The cookies are soft coming out of the oven, but once they cool — YUM! Thanks for this great recipe.

27. Robin posted on February 26, 2012 at 10:18 am (#)

I suspect some of the problem with flat cookies is because some cake mixes are larger than others. Try one of the 18+ oz mixes as opposed to the brand that is around 15 oz.

28. Elizabeth posted on March 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm (#)

Does anyone know if the dough can be frozen and baked at a later date? Thanks!

29. LJP posted on March 11, 2012 at 10:42 am (#)

I have made these a couple of times. Once with chocolate cake mix and once with spice cake mix Both times they were a huge hit. Today I am trying red velvet.

30. Jill posted on March 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm (#)

This receipt definitely works well if you use the “super moist” cake mix with the pudding mixed into it. Even my batch that burnt a little turned out tasting great!

31. Barbara Kelley posted on April 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm (#)

Tidy Mom:
    I just posted your wonderful Lemon Burst Cookies on my blog (http://barbaragarneaukelley.com/2012/04/13/whip-it-upfast/.) I made them today. Delish!

32. Tara E posted on April 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm (#)

I used the Strawberry cake mix rather than Lemon and I used 2 eggs rather than 1 . It was PERFECT!! I was nervous trying them. I didn’t use parchment or wax paper. I just used a teflon cookie sheet with a light coat of cooking spray. Light, fluffy and tasty

1. Pingback: Beach Boys Picnic Pops Concert & Crowd Control Recipe | This Nest is Best

2. Pingback: Create Something: lemon burst cake mix cookies | snipscribble

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats

4. Pingback: cake-y « Life in Color

5. Pingback: The Lures of Target. « The Paranoid Delusions of A Narcissist

6. Pingback: Sunday Adventures. « The Paranoid Delusions of A Narcissist

7. Pingback: Happy Thanksgiving! « The Paranoid Delusions of A Narcissist

8. Pingback: Cakes Gone Cookie! | Cake Mix Cookies To Die For - Mom Always Finds Out

9. Pingback: Christmas Cookies « Hookie's Cookies

10. Pingback: Orange You Sweet » Delicious Christmas Cookies, Part 2 » Orange You Sweet

11. Pingback: 12 Gifts of Christmas: Cookies | a project at a time

12. Pingback: yellow baby shower inspiration

13. Pingback: Wonderful Deliciousness « Blanket Statements

14. Pingback: Strawberry Burst Cookies « Let's Go Fly a Kite

15. Pingback: Tackling the Cookie Table in 2012: Thank God for Pinterest! « Dames Who Dish

16. Pingback: Cookie Table Project: Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies « Dames Who Dish

17. Pingback: orange cream cookies | Pink Tiger in the Kitchen