Recipes

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Enjoy the burst of lemon flavor from these light and soft baked cookies.  Lemon Burst cookies are made using a cake mix.

I had a nice response last week with the Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies we made.

One of my fabulous readers, Alicia of Home with the Hollands shared another cake mix cookies recipe with me in the comments.  It’s just as easy and involves a lemon cake mix and cool whip.

I’m a HUGE fan of lemon, and Heather wanted a special treat to take into work for a co-worker’s birthday ……… easy and delicious was all I had time for.

Lemon burst cookies

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 27 minutes

Yield: about 3 dozen

Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies

Enjoy the burst of lemon flavor from these light and soft baked cookies.

Ingredients

• 1 box Lemon* Cake Mix (with pudding in the mix)
  • 1- 8 oz container Cool Whip, completely thawed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. In a medium bowl combine dry cake mix, and beaten egg. Mixture will be crumbly. Fold in thawed Cool Whip until well combined. Dough will be thick and sticky.
  3. Drop by teaspoonfuls into a bowl of powdered sugar and roll to coat.
  4. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon baking sheet. Bake for 10- 12 minutes or until slightly set and tops are cracked. Cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool.

Notes

Dough is a little easier to handle if you refrigerate about an hour before dropping in powdered sugar, but it's not required.

You don't want to make these cookies too big, the key is to keep them small.

Since the dough is sticky and to keep your cookie size small and consistent, try using a small cookie scoop to drop cookie dough into powdered sugar, for easier handling.

*Try making these cookies using strawberry or orange cake mix for variety.

NEW FEATURE: Save recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Lemon Burst cookies - TidyMom

You Might also enjoy these lemon recipes:

Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream

Lemonade Pie

Strawberry Lemonade

Lemon Pudding Pound Cake

Lemon Recipe Round Up- 16 recipes from top food bloggers

photographing FOOD® ebooks

@TidyMom or scan my HR code with your camera

@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera

Yum

176 Responses to “Lemon Burst Cake Mix Cookies”

1. Gina posted on August 30, 2010 at 7:31 am (#)

Yum! These remind me of the Chocolate Crinkles that I make during the holidays. I love lemon, can’t wait to give these a try.

2. bridget {bake at 350} posted on August 30, 2010 at 7:37 am (#)

Gosh! These are so beautiful…and my mouth is totally watering! I LOVE lemon!

This looks like a perfect recipe for a bake sale, too!

I like starting off the week looking at COOKIES!!! Yum!

3. Paula posted on August 30, 2010 at 7:37 am (#)

What a pretty and bright little cookie! Perfect for Hollywood to bring into work for her co-worker’s birthday. Thanks for posting Cheryl.

4. Amanda posted on August 30, 2010 at 7:42 am (#)

Gorgeous!!! I am not s huge lemon dessert fan… but you just might have converted me!
    Be blessed!
    Amanda

5. Alicia posted on August 30, 2010 at 8:53 am (#)

Thank you so much! They turned out just as pretty as they always do. So glad that you liked them!

6. Prairie Story posted on August 30, 2010 at 9:17 am (#)

These look amazing!!! I love lemon too… and these cookies seem really easy to make! can you use real whip cream rather than cool whip?

7. Teresa Verhoestra posted on August 30, 2010 at 10:09 am (#)

Yummm! sounds delish.
    Teresa

8. Rachel ~ Southern Fairytale posted on August 30, 2010 at 10:35 am (#)

These are SO SO yummy! I’ve had these before and LOVE them! Too bad I used that whipped topping in the s’mores pie because I’d make these right now, if I hadn’t! 😉
    GORGEOUS pics.

9. April @ The 21st Century Housewife posted on August 30, 2010 at 11:31 am (#)

These look so lemony and luscious – What a great recipe! I like that it uses a cake mix too.

10. Megan posted on August 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm (#)

oh yum! I do believe im drooling… off to the store for lemon cake mix!

11. Amy K posted on August 31, 2010 at 4:11 am (#)

Yowzer, these look delicious! I love lemon, so I’m sure they wouldn’t last long around here. Thanks for sharing.

12. The Happy Housewife posted on August 31, 2010 at 5:43 am (#)

I was just commenting to my friend Jen that I don’t even like lemon but I would make these cookies! They look amazing and so easy!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Toni

13. Ashley posted on August 31, 2010 at 6:17 am (#)

Those cookies look so good! I love any dessert with lemon in it. It might not be safe for me to make them though. My husband isn’t a big fan of lemon so I would have to eat them ALL. LOL!

14. Jennifer Sikora posted on August 31, 2010 at 6:57 am (#)

That looks really good. I love lemon flavored anything!

Thanks for sharing.
    Jennifer

15. carolee posted on August 31, 2010 at 7:36 am (#)

Looks delicious and easy to make as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

16. Brenda posted on August 31, 2010 at 9:43 am (#)

I love it!! What could be easier and lemon is my husband’s favourite. I can’t wait to make these, thank you for sharing!

17. Geri posted on August 31, 2010 at 10:23 am (#)

WOW!!! these cookies look AWESOME!!! and sound so EASY!!! to make.

18. Melinda posted on August 31, 2010 at 10:23 am (#)

How simple and yummy!

19. Danelle posted on August 31, 2010 at 2:11 pm (#)

I have the ingredients to make these right now. And that’s what I’m going to do!

20. Susan posted on August 31, 2010 at 6:58 pm (#)

Mine are taking a long time to get done what am I doing wrong?

21. The Coupon Goddess posted on September 3, 2010 at 6:32 am (#)

Oh Cheryl, those look awesome. You inspire me every time I come over here!

22. Amy posted on September 12, 2010 at 7:44 pm (#)

made these today with my daughter-they were yummy and easy for her to do almost by herself!

23. Violet @ Easy Recipes Free posted on November 23, 2010 at 5:18 am (#)

I’m not a big fan of lemon cakes, but this one looks delicious to me. I made a similar cake with strawberries and it was fantastic. Maybe I’ll try this time with lemons instead of strawberries. Thanks for sharing!

24. sabine posted on March 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm (#)

these look fab, but i dont have access to cool whip where i live. could i use cream?

25. Sarah posted on May 24, 2011 at 6:36 pm (#)

What the heck is cool whip?!?!?!!

• TidyMom replied on May 25th, 2011 at 7:48 am

it’s packaged whipped cream

• Alice replied on July 12th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Is it possible to use whipped cream instead of cool whip?

26. Mary Ellen posted on July 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm (#)

My mom and I have made these for about 10 years now. They are deliciously soft.
    Tip: Keep a very very careful eye on them. They turn to brown and burn very quickly. Also, put the dough in the fridge for an hour or so before rolling them in powdered sugar and they won’t be as sticky.

• Stephanie replied on September 17th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

What size of box do you use for the lemon cake mix? Thanks!

27. Scott (Cakes by Scott) posted on July 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm (#)

Alicia and Cheryl,

I cannot thank you enough for this post!!
    I grew up in a family of bakers. Both grandmothers had their specialties.

My maternal grandmother and I used to make these cookies EVERY time we visited her. Such fond memories are associated with them.

I’d had the recipe memorized for years. Then, as I grew up, and grandmother passed away, I forgot the recipe. No one in the family even remembers these but me! I thought the recipe lost, and was so disappointed.

Today, you’ve gifted me with a part of my history, my family I never thought I’d get back.

Thank you both so much! I can’t wait to share the recipe with my mother, aunts and cousins. Maybe THEN they’ll remember…(it might help if I send some of the cookies with the recipe, huh?)

Happy baking to you,
    ~ Scott in Vancouver, WA

• Alicia replied on July 29th, 2011 at 10:12 am

You are very welcome! This is one of those recipes that was also passed around in my family and it always comes out for the bridal teas and baby showers because it’s such a pretty cookie. So glad that I could help!

28. Laura Pokas posted on July 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm (#)

I’ve made these multiple times. The flavor is delish, but the batter can be quite sticky. I found if I had a large flat bowl/pan with the powder sugar in it, I could use my small ice cream scoop to grab a ball of dough and drop it right it, roll it around and it was a lot less messy.

29. Jen Higgins posted on July 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm (#)

They look so good, I have to try them!

30. Stephanie posted on July 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm (#)

These look so yummy, I have to try them right away! Thanks for sharing!!

31. Beth @ Hungry Happenings posted on July 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm (#)

I love to see a recipe that is so simple, yet it gets you thinking … how did anyone ever think to add Cool Whip to cake mix to make a cookie. Very clever, indeed.

32. Desiree Campbell posted on July 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm (#)

pinning right now… they look delicious!

33. Rebecca @This Nest is Best posted on July 30, 2011 at 5:37 am (#)

These are amazing! I made them last night and got rave reviews :)

1 2 3 4