Spiced Mocha Cupcakes
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Those who know me well, know I’m an avid coffee drinker. Not the fru-fru “pretend coffee” drinker…..a nice fresh brewed cup of joe with cream x 4-5 cups each morning drinker.
Now don’t get me wrong, I LOOOOVE my frappes, and lattes but to me, those aren’t “coffee”. Those are dessert coffees……and what do I love almost more than a dessert coffee?……how about a coffee dessert!
Last week my oldest asked if I would make a yummy dessert she could take to work for one of the other stylists who was having a birthday. – She wanted chocolate and only likes “fluffy whipped cream like” frosting.
I thumbed thru some of my bookmarked recipes and found one I’ve been dying to make! It’s a cake, but I made cupcakes..and I think they turned out every bit as delicious as I had imagined.
If you’re not a huge coffee fan, don’t worry, the coffee flavor is not overpowering!—–and, I would keep this in the refrigerator because of the whipped cream on top……or you could keep the cupcakes out and top with whipped cream right before serving.
Gold and Brown Damask Cupcake liners found at [Michaels|http://www.michaels.com/" rel="nofollow"]
Large round tip from [Sweet Baking Supply|http://sweetbakingsupply.com/large-round-p-1464.html" rel="nofollow"]
- 4 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 tbsps. butter
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Powdered sugar (to garnish)
- 1/2 pt. whipping cream
- 3 tbsps. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners. Coat cupcake papers with no-stick cooking spray.
- Place chocolate and butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power 45 to 60 seconds, stir and repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred.
- Combine coffee, potato flakes, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in large mixing bowl, stirring until moistened.
- Blend in sugar and vanilla.
- Blend in chocolate mixture and egg yolks.
- In a medium blow, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually blend into chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed of electric mixer until stiff.
- Add to chocolate mixture and blend on low speed until completely blended, scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until set in center.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan. Sprinkle liberally with sifted powdered sugar.
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- Combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in medium mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer until stiff.
- Pipe on top of cupcakes.
Recipe from Folgers.
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.