Strawberry & Chocolate Dessert Nachos (With Homemade Cinnamon Tortilla Chips)
A clever twist on nachos! Dessert Nachos with fresh strawberries and dark chocolate drizzle piled on crunchy homemade baked cinnamon tortilla chips topped with real whipped cream will be the hit of the party!
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
What a combination! When you say tortilla chips or nachos, most thoughts don’t run right to “dessert” nachos. That will no longer be the case once you make these special chocolate nachos for your clan!
Why You’ll Love This Dessert Nacho Recipe
- No fancy or exotic ingredients are needed to make chocolate nachos.
- The perfect snack bribe for those after-school chores!
- Dessert nachos are visually stunning and a real conversation piece!
- Strawberry & chocolate nachos taste even better than they look, and that’s saying something!
- Dessert nachos with homemade tortilla chips deserve a place on any dessert table.
- Super easy to double for any party or gathering.
- Come together quickly. It really takes no time at all to pull these strawberry nachos together.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Ingredients For Strawberry & Chocolate Nachos
Crunchy homemade tortilla chips sprinkled with cinnamon sugar are the delicious, crunchy foundation for these standout dessert nachos. (Try not to munch too many in advance or just make extra from the get-go!)
- Flour Tortillas – thin unleavened bread made from finely ground wheat flour, salt, and water. Make sure you choose the soft, flat 6” round flour version for baked cinnamon sugar tortilla chips.
- Butter – unsalted butter is best, we don’t need the chips to taste salty.
- Cinnamon Sugar – comes pre-made, but it’s super easy to make your own.
- Strawberries – fresh berries cleaned and diced.
- Sugar – white granulated sugar is needed.
- Chocolate Chips – I like to use dark chocolate, but you can use semi-sweet or milk chocolate if you prefer
- Shortening – just a little will help thin out the chocolate for drizzling.
- Whipped Cream – store-bought, or homemade is fine. Cinnamon whipped cream is even better!
How To Make Dessert Nachos With Baked Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Instructions For Baked Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas:
1. Coat each tortilla with melted butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
2. Cut tortillas into wedges using a pizza cutter.
3. Spread tortilla wedges on an ungreased baking sheet, sugar side up.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 350° F oven.
Making Chocolate & Strawberry Dessert Nachos
1. Sprinkle strawberries with sugar, stir, and let them sit to make a light syrup for ~ 10 minutes.
2. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave for 60-seconds, stir, and microwave in small increments until melted.
3. Arrange cinnamon tortilla chips on a serving platter, top with strawberries, and drizzle with melted chocolate.
4. Garnish with whipped cream and dig in! (Or wait for your guests?)
Make your own cinnamon sugar for homemade tortilla chips by combining cinnamon and sugar by the standard ratio of 1:4, respectively.
Here are the measurements for 1 cup, ½ cup, and ¼ cup:
1 cup sugar – ¼ cup cinnamon
½ cup sugar – 2 tbsp cinnamon
¼ cup sugar – 1 tbsp cinnamon
You can easily increase or decrease the amount of cinnamon to your taste. Cinnamon sugar is much cheaper to make at home than the store-bought version! (Make extra for the next batch; everyone will be asking for more!)
Chef’s Note: Add a dash of sea salt to the cinnamon-sugar mixture. For extra flavor and depth, add vanilla powder.
Yes! Allow strawberries to thaw in a colander. Dice the semi-thawed fruit and sprinkle them with sugar to make the syrup.
The irony is the main culprit that turns smooth, silky chocolate into a solid, crunchy mess (besides burning) is the same thing that will fix it: water. There is a ton of info on “why” chocolate seizes and “what” happens to it (even the fix).*
*But “how” does chocolate seize?*
It’s an oil and water relationship with sugar as the third wheel. In a nutshell/cocoa bean fats/oil from the cocoa butter repel water (hydrophobic), but the (hydrophilic) sugar just loves it! The sugar is attracted to water and dissolves in as little as a drop; that’s how you get a hard, gritty lump.
Chef’s Note: The only way to fix seized chocolate is by adding a tablespoon of boiling water, one at a time, stirring like crazy until the mixture is smoothed out.
Dessert Nachos Variation Ideas
- Banana slices
- Berries (Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries)
- Fresh Peach Slices
- Chopped Toasted Pecans
- Chopped Salted Peanuts
- butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- Toasted Shredded Coconut
- Caramel Drizzle
- Maple Syrup
- try cinnamon graham crackers for tortilla chips
- Serve with vanilla ice cream
- Add sprinkles for a fun birthday dessert
- Set up a dessert nacho bar with homemade cinnamon chips and various toppings and let everyone build their own dessert
- perfect on any dessert table
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
I hope you fall in love with this unique Strawberry & Chocolate Dessert Nachos With Homemade Tortilla Chips recipe like we did! Strawberry & chocolate are always winners, but the homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips send these chocolate nachos to the next level!
Originally posted in August 2011. UPDATED July 2022. We spiffed up this post with more info and better pictures! No changes to the original recipe.
A clever twist on nachos! Dessert Nachos with fresh strawberries and dark chocolate piled on sweet, crunchy homemade baked cinnamon chips will be the hit of the party!
For baked cinnamon sugar tortilla chips
- 4-6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pound strawberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- homemade cinnamon chips (see above)
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon shortening (or coconut oil)
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with melted butter. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over buttered tortillas. Cut tortillas into wedges (like you would cut a pizza) using a pizza cutter.
- Place tortilla wedges in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet, sugar side up. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Place chopped strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Stir and set aside for about 10 minutes so the sugar dissolves into a light syrup.
- When ready to serve, melt chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave, in 1-minute increments, stopping to stir each time, until melted. Take care not to "burn" the chocolate.
- Arrange cinnamon sugar chips on a platter or plate, top with strawberries, and drizzle with melted chocolate. Garnish with whipped cream. Enjoy!!
Time Saver: use chocolate sauce (sold by the ice cream) instead of melting chocolate chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.