Best Cannoli Dip With Mascarpone Cheese
Cannoli Dip is a creamy, no-bake dessert dip made with whipped cannoli filling, mascarpone cheese, and mini chocolate chips. Serve with cookies, fruit, or broken waffle cones for dipping – It’s sure to be a sweet success at your next gathering!
If you’re looking for more insanely easy dessert appetizers, don’t miss our Pumpkin Fluff Dip we’ve been making for years and everyone’s favorite Strawberry Dessert Nachos for a sweet treat everyone will love!
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
Why You’ll Love This Cannoli Dip Recipe
Cannoli Dip is a delicious and easy way to enjoy the classic Italian dessert.
- This sweet cannoli dip with mascarpone is ready in minutes! Just 5 minutes prep time.
- Enjoy all the delicious flavors of the traditional dessert without the hassle of making cannoli.
- Save time and make no-bake cannoli dip without cream cheese up to 3 days ahead of time.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser! There is plenty of cannoli dip to feed a group, and this recipe is loved by all ages!
Italian Cannoli Dip Recipe Ingredients
For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Whole milk ricotta cheese – This mild cheese is one of the bases of the dip and the full fat variety provides richness to the dip.
- Mascarpone cheese – Often referred to as Italian cream cheese, this cheese imparts a little bit of sweetness and a touch of tangy acidity that balances the dip.
- Powdered sugar – Confectioners sugar helps to sweeten the mixture but also contributes to the smooth texture.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla balances all of the ingredients in the dip.
- Lemon zest – Zest brings a slight bit of bright flavor to the dip.
- Miniature chocolate chips (semi-sweet) – These add texture and chocolate flavor.
- Broken waffle cones, pizzelle cookies, or fruit – Use these to dip into the sweet cannoli dip.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
How to Make The Best Cannoli Dip
Transform the classic Italian Cannoli dessert into a quick and effortless dip!
When you are baking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
- Add the ricotta and mascarpone to a bowl and beat with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the cheese dip mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips and powdered sugar (or cinnamon) on top of the dip.
- Serve with cannoli chips, broken cannoli shells or waffle cones, or the dipper of your choice.
Mixing Bowl – For best results, use a clean medium-sized glass bowl to mix the cannoli dip.
Electric Mixer – To make this simple dip, you can use either a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer with a paddle attachment or beaters.
TidyMom’s Recipe Notes And Tips
We have just a few tips up our sleeve that will help you make the tastiest cannoli dip.
- Be sure to start with room-temperature ingredients to ensure that the cheeses combine well.
- Using full-fat cheese is the way to go with this luscious dip. It gets its creaminess and silky smooth texture from the fat in the cheese.
- To avoid having a dip with too much liquid, drain excess liquid from the ricotta before mixing.
- For a thicker dip, strain the ricotta overnight in the refrigerator using a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter. (this step is not required unless your cheese is really watery)
- You can also add whipped cream or a frozen whipped topping like Cool Whip if you would just prefer a thicker consistency in your cannoli dip.
How To Store This Recipe
Cannoli dip can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
We do not recommend freezing this dip — the texture could be compromised by freezing and thawing.
Cannoli dip is a rich blend of ricotta and mascarpone cheeses sweetened with powdered sugar and dotted with sweet chocolate pieces. The addition of lemon and vanilla balances the flavor profile.
The cheese filling for traditional authentic cannoli is ricotta mixed with honey or sugar but more recently adding mascarpone has become popular.
In Italy, sheep’s milk ricotta is most often used to prepare the filling while in the United States cow’s milk ricotta is more prevalent.
Cannoli Dip Recipe Variations
Put your own signature spin on this creamy cannoli dip.
- Chocolate – Swap out some or all of the semi-sweet chips for chopped dark chocolate or milk chocolate. Be sure to use mini chips or finely chopped.
- Nuts – Chop or crush pistachios, walnuts, or almonds.
- Zest – Instead of lemon, try using orange zest.
- Spice – Mix in ½ – ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon for warm flavor.
- Salt – Add ¼ teaspoon salt to balance the sweetness.
- Extract – Try substituting almond extract for some of the vanilla to add a nutty flavor.
- Swap mascarpone for cream cheese
- Get cannoli chips and pizzelle cookies on Amazon
- Make pie crust cookies
- Chocolate graham crackers
- Waffle cone pieces (break up waffle cones)
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Nilla wafers
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Best Cannoli Dip
Indulge in the ultimate sweet treat with this easy Cannoli Dessert Dip recipe. Always a crowd-pleaser; creamy ricotta, sweet mascarpone, and chocolate chips make for the perfect dip for any occasion
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese, room temp (strain overnight if watery)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temp
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (extra for garnish)
- Broken waffle cones or pizzelle cookies for serving *see notes for more ideas
- Using a medium-sized bowl with an electric mixer, beat ricotta and mascarpone together until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Continue to beat the mixture on medium speed until the sugar is fully incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to fold the chocolate chips into the cheese dip.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days). When ready to serve, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top and dust with a little powdered sugar or cinnamon. Serve with broken waffle cones or cannoli chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information for dip only. Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used and are just estimates. We encourage, especially if these numbers are important to you, to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.