Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese. A kick of hot sauce and chicken gives a new twist to this old classic, mac ‘n cheese recipe.
simple, home-style food that brings comforting thoughts of home or childhood.
When I hear the words “comfort food” Macaroni and Cheese is one of the first things that comes to mind. It’s an ooey-gooey food that warms you, makes you feel cozy, soothes you when you need it and reminds you of childhood.
What happens when you mix comfort food with man food? It’s a recipe made in heaven. I knew when I first ran across this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese on The Food Network it had my family’s name written all over it (with just a few modifications).
Be forewarned, it does take a little more prep time in the kitchen than I expected and it made enough for an army. So plan accordingly. It’s well worth the time, and if you’re not serving a crowd you could easily make half the recipe.
Table of Contents
CHECK OUT HOW EASY BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC ‘N CHEESE IS TO MAKE! WATCH THE VIDEO!
click to see more of my recipe videos
It’s also a bit on the hot and spicy side, so you might want to adjust the hot sauce and cheese for your family’s taste!
LIKE THIS BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC ‘N CHEESE RECIPE? PIN IT!
A kick hot sauce gives a new twist to this old classic.
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided) salt
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (divided)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound yellow sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3.5 cups)
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the milk and cream, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko, blue cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
RECIPE ADAPTED FROM THE FOOD NETWORK.
This would be perfect for any pot-luck menu!
What’s your favorite comfort food?
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.