Recipes

Homemade Banana Flips {recipe}

A delicious recipe for homemade banana flips. Two moist layers of banana cake with a fluffy banana cream filling.

Homemade Banana Flips recipe at TidyMom.net Two moist layers of banana cake with a fluffy banana cream filling.

Happy New Year!!!

As much as I enjoyed the holidays (and the nice break) I have to say……I’m glad it’s all over.

I’ve pushed all of those holiday flavors aside and I’ve moved on to banana!

The other day I was lining up some recipes I wanted to make and share, when I realized they were all banana!

This recipe first caught my eye because of it’s simplicity then I realized it’s a copy cat recipe of an old time snack cake.  I’d never heard of Banana Flips, but my husband sure had!  His eyes lit up with excitement as he recalled the favorite snack cake from his childhood that he hadn’t thought about in years.

I’m thinking anything filled with  fluffy white cream around a yellow cake has GOT to be delicious! right? Banana Flips looked like a sponge-cake taco; a banana cake “shell” with creamy white fluffy banana filling. They were  well known for their extreme messiness!

I’m not a big fan of artificial banana flavor, but this moist yellow cake with a  fluffy banana filling was light and sweet and only has a very faint banana flavor…….so faint in fact, that my hubby thought it could use a little more banana flavoring.  So if you really want a punch of banana I would up the flavoring to 2 teaspoons in the recipe.  But if you want just a hint of banana, leave it like it is!

My husband said it was love at first bite……..they were everything he remembered in a banana flip, sans the taco shape.  I thought about making these like whoopie pies, but since I only have one whoopie pie pan, that would have taken several batches, so for now, I opted for the layer cake and cut it into squares.

How to make Banana Flips

(full recipe below)

Using 2 jellyroll pans (any size, but the larger the pan, the more flips you will get.  I used 11 x 17 pan) lightly grease pans, then line with parchment paper and grease parchment paper.  Divide batter evenly between the two pans and use a rubber spatula to spread batter to edges of pans.

Homemade Banana Flips in pans

Bake cakes in 350° oven for about 13-15 minutes.  Cool completely.

While cakes are baking, make banana filling.  I also cut a large piece of cardboard and covered in foil to place my cooled cakes on (but you could probably just leave it in one of the pans).

Place filling on one cake layer and spread all the way to the edges.

banana flips fluffy filling

Carefully place second cake layer over frosting.  Garnish with powdered sugar.

banana flips layered

Place cake in refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour before serving. (it’s best served cold)

banana flip cake

After the cake chilled I cut mine into squares and placed in an air tight container in the refrigerator

banana flips cut

Enjoy!!!

Homemade Banana Flips

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 15

Homemade Banana Flips

Light fluffy banana cream between two layers of moist yellow cake

Ingredients

• 1 package yellow cake mix (18.25 ounce size)
  • 1 small box instant banana pudding mix (4.5 cups serving size)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 milk
  • 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup butter (softened)
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon banana extract
  • powdered sugar for garnish (optional)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Grease 2 jellyroll pans (11×17 or 10×15), then line with parchment paper and grease parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and instant pudding mix. Beat in the eggs and 1-1/2 cups of milk.
  4. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
  5. Bake 13-15 mins. for 11×17 pan or 15-20 mins for 10×13 pan., or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
  6. While cake is baking, make filling
  7. Sift sugar and flour together in medium bowl and set aside.
  8. In a medium bowl cream together the butter and shortening until combined, then add sugar mixture.
  9. Beat in the milk and banana extract until smooth (about 3-5 minutes with stand mixer)
  10. When cake is cooled, invert one layer onto serving tray. Spread filling over the top and cover with remaining cake layer. Garnish with powdered sugar.
  11. Chill until serving.

Notes

Recipe from cdkitchen. For more banana flavor, use 2 teaspoons banana extract.

Variations you could also make these using whoopie pie pans instead of cake layers.

Copyright © 2009-2012 TidyMom.Net.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

NEW FEATURE: Save recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

50 Responses to “Homemade Banana Flips {recipe}”

1. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:09 am (#

oh this sounds really good, perfect for a nice “light” treat for the new year.

2. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:25 am (#

fun recipe! Hope you had a good new years!

3. Nicole (Life's a Batch) posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:26 am (#

OOoooh, I remember these! My Granny had them at her house, and when we would visit in the summertime, they were a special treat! I’d forgotten all about them, too! Thanks for sharing a recipe to bring ‘em back! :-)

4. Amy posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:28 am (#

Looking yum!!!

5. Amanda posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:28 am (#

These sound so delicious. I had totally forgotten them as well! Cant wait to make them and share with friends and family!!!

6. Cookbook Queen posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:30 am (#

Sounds fabulous!! I love banana!!

7. Mary Beth @ Nothing But Country posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:33 am (#

YUM!! These looks so good!!!! Never had or heard of them but I can’t wait to try!!

8. Shaina posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:41 am (#

These sound delightful. I love the bright new outlook as we head into 2012. Happy New Year!

9. susan posted on January 2, 2012 at 10:35 am (#

I have never heard of a “flip”. Thanks, Cheryl for introducting me to something new!!!

10. Sinea posted on January 2, 2012 at 10:39 am (#

I’ve never used parchment paper, though I’ve definitely heard of it. Is it available in the baking section of most grocery stores or is it special-order?

• TidyMom replied on January 2nd, 2012 at 10:46 am

It’s in the grocery store where they sell foil and plastic wrap. – it can go in the oven, unlike waxed paper

• Sinea replied on January 2nd, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’ll check it out the next time I shop! Thanks, Cheryl.

11. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids posted on January 2, 2012 at 10:40 am (#

These look amazing, and I think that my banana-loving littles would love them.

12. HeatherChristo posted on January 2, 2012 at 11:11 am (#

Dang it Cheryl! I am supposed to be eating healthy! But these look so yummy and I am a sucker for anything banana!

13. Maria posted on January 2, 2012 at 11:59 am (#

Never heard of this cake but now I want to try it! Happy New Year!

14. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on January 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm (#

Bananas are one of my favorite fruits. I cannot wait to try this. I may consider adding a layer of Nutella! Thanks and Happy New Year.

15. aida mollenkamp posted on January 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm (#

I hear you about banana. I’ve been eating apple bananas in Hawaii for the past few weeks and am totally obsessed!

16. Paula posted on January 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm (#

I had not heard of these before. They look so good! All the best to you and your family throughout 2012 Cheryl.

17. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga posted on January 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm (#

Ive never seen or heard of banana flips until now. I need to get on these!

18. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on January 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm (#

Yum!! These look wonderful! I have been hoarding bananas lately, I have a few things I want to make with them too!

19. leslie posted on January 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm (#

I have never hear of a banana flip..but they do sound quite delicious

20. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on January 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm (#

I have not heard of these before, but they sure do look great! We all love bananas around here. Happy New Year, Cheryl!

21. Jeanette posted on January 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm (#

I’ve never heard of flips before, so nice you were able to recreate this childhood treat for your husband. Happy New Year!

22. marla posted on January 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm (#

Love the name “banana flips!”
    The texture of this cake looks out of this world!! Love bananas over here:)

23. Katrina. @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on January 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm (#

Oh me oh my! That fluffy cream! My husband seriously lurves himself some banana flips but I never buy them ha! He would go bananas (lol!!) over these!

24. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on January 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm (#

I’ve never heard of Banana Flips either and judging from the other comments we weren’t the only ones!

25. Monette posted on January 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm (#

Thank You! I will definitely making these for my 4&5 class for our church.

26. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted on January 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm (#

Cheryl,

These look fabulous! Happy New Year!

-Brian

27. sweetsugarbelle posted on January 2, 2012 at 8:56 pm (#

COOL!!! Happy New Year!

28. Natalie from Mom It Forward posted on January 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm (#

I can’t wait to try this! Looks delicious!

29. Hilywatson posted on January 3, 2012 at 3:13 am (#

OMG its look so cool so I am sure it taste also delicious.

As I have never tried this but gonna do it anyhow coz banana is my achilles hill and anything with banana than…I just can’t hold myself.

Anyway thanks a lot for this mouthwatering recipe.

30. Sheila @Eat2gather posted on January 3, 2012 at 10:54 am (#

Oh my heavens…seriously delicious. Did you not get the cut down on the calories memo I sent out? ; D All the best to you in Cheryl in 2012!

31. Robyn | Add a Pinch posted on January 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm (#

Oh my goodness! Sounds delicious!

32. Brenda McKnatt posted on January 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm (#

Cheryl,

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it sometime this week. I have not had these in years and years! Banana Flips bring back some childhood memories. Thank you!
    Have a safe week..
    Brenda

33. Culinary Collage posted on January 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm (#

This sounds like such a fun recipe…….Happy New Year!

34. Kristen posted on January 4, 2012 at 8:01 am (#

Oh my gosh, Cheryl… I can’t wait to make these. I don’t remember them as a kid, but would love to know them as an adult!

35. Tickled Red posted on January 4, 2012 at 10:10 am (#

I’m not a huge fan of banana myself but the guys love them ;D I can’t to surprise them with these this weekend.

36. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on January 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm (#

Happy New Year, Cheryl! These look to die for!

37. Jennifer posted on January 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm (#

This is going on my must make list! Thanks for sharing! Great blog.

Jennifer
    The Kamikaze Shopper

38. Jenna Beebe posted on January 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm (#

YUM! I love banana but I’m making them for a friend that prefers lemon. So, I’m gonna make them as lemon. Hope it turns out! :)

39. Jill Tucker posted on February 10, 2012 at 11:05 am (#

Hi Cheryl ~ Last night at dinner, only God may know why, my huband brought up Banana Flips out of nowhere. His eyes lit up when he talked about them, it was quite funny. Then I googled and found a picture of the packaging…. for him it was totally a moment to absorb memories from his past. Very fun to share that moment with him. I’ve never had nor heard of them. The great part is, his birthday is in 2 weeks and thanks to googling and finding your recipe, this will be his birthday cake surprise. I can’t wait. Thank you so much and I pinned this as well. Thanks again, blessing to you and your family!! Have a great day.

40. Lois posted on August 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm (#

OMG…. we used to eat Micky’s Banana Flips when I was a kid growing up in the Midwest. ** sigh ** Nostalgia!

41. will posted on March 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm (#

Okay, I’m a guy that likes to cook. This recipe seems the ingredients are all jumble together. What is the cake part? what is the filling part? I’ve seen many recipes, this is the first that doesn’t separate the sections. Is the banana pudding the only part for the filling? Why is pudding under the cake ingredients? Any help would be appreciated.
    Very Confused.

• TidyMom replied on March 6th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

it’s all in the directions (the pudding is for the cake)

While cake is baking, make filling
      Sift sugar and flour together in medium bowl and set aside.
      Chill until serving.

42. Esther posted on June 2, 2013 at 11:03 pm (#

You would have to be at least 50 to remember these snack cakes…..thank you for giving me back a piece of my childhood!

43. Peggy Wiliams posted on July 30, 2014 at 11:18 pm (#

Just a note to say that the banana flip was my favorite growing up. I loved it so much that I duplicated it several years ago and now sell them on my website. Check it out and glad to see that people still remember them,

• Karina replied on August 16th, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Peggy,

what is your website?

1. Pingback: Easy Valentines Day Dessert | Caramel Raspberry Banana Napoleon Recipe | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Easy Oreo Banana Cream Pie Recipe | TidyMom