Recipes

Caramel Banana French Toast

caramelized banana french toast at TidyMom.net

Pin It

I have an epic french toast for you today!

A few weeks ago, Allison and I enjoyed a late breakfast at The Original Pancake House, if you are ever near one, I HIGHLY recommend stopping in!  Just note, they are closed on Mondays.  We are right by one every month on a Monday when we take Cullen to the groomer, so last month I switched our grooming day to Tuesday, just so we could have breakfast at the Pancake House.

Oddly enough, neither of us had pancakes that day.  I had the most incredible Peaches and Cream Waffles made with fresh, locally grown peaches. To. Die. For.   Allison had a heavenly french toast sprinkled with bananas and topped with a creamy  caramel syrup.  She talked about that french toast for weeks!

so much so, that we finally decided we needed to re-create something similar at home.

Caramel Banana French Toast TidyMom.net

and here’s where I’m going to let you in on a little secret of mine ………. BACON GREASE!

That is my secret to mind blowing french toast.  When I was little, my grandma and my mom always kept a jar of bacon grease in the refrigerator.  They used it to fry everything.  The true meaning to , everything is better with a little bacon!  Now that I no longer fry much, I rarely use it, but I still keep a small jar in the fridge for french toast………and the occasional fried potatoes that I rarely let my husband indulge in any more.  Promise me, you’ll try it, at least once.

How do you like to eat french toast?  My dad always ate his with out syrup, he would just sprinkle a slices with a little powdered sugar and fold it in half and eat it with his hands, like a sandwich.

More Recipes you may enjoy:

Banana Stuffed French Toast at Panini Happy

Banana Caramel Sea Salt Milkshake at Heather Christo Cooks

Caramel Banana French Toast

Yield: 2 servings

Serving Size: 2 slices of french toast

Caramel Banana French Toast

Decadent french toast with home made caramel sauce and bananas, an easy to make gourmet breakfast you can make at home.

Ingredients

• 4 thick slices of bread (i used Texas toast)
  • 4 eggs
  • 3-4 Tablespoons milk or cream
  • 1-2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  • pinch salt
  • For Frying:
  • 2 tbsp bacon grease (or butter)
  • For Banana Caramel Sauce
  • 2 ripe but firm bananas, sliced thick
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 4 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
  • sprinkle of cinnamon

Instructions

1. To make the French toast, preheat an oven to 350°F.
  2. In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, orange juice,sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add bread to the egg mixture and turn gently to coat evenly. Let stand until the bread has soaked up some of the egg mixture, about 1 minute.
  3. Place electric skillet on medium-high heat until hot. add bacon grease to melt. Remove the bread from the egg mixture, letting the excess liquid drip back into the bowl, and place on the hot skillet. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Place the bread on a baking sheet, transfer to the oven and bake until the center of the bread is heated through but still moist, about 10 minutes.
  4. While french toast is in the oven, peel and slice bananas. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and add the butter and brown sugar on medium high, use a wooden spoon to combine and let melt then add bananas in a thin layer. Allow to bubble a bit then flip the banana slices over one at a time. Cook until bananas are lightly brown (2-3 minuets)
  5. Serve the French Toast piping hot, topped with spoonfuls of the caramelized bananas.
  6. Garnish with whipped cream, optional, but highly recommended!

Notes

you can use butter in place of bacon grease for frying the french toast, but I recommend the bacon grease.

I didn't photograph with the whipped cream, because it melts really fast, but was a delicious addition that I suggest serving with this french toast.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

what I used:

Omaze offers the chance to win once-in-a-lifetime experiences that also support social missions.

53 Responses to “Caramel Banana French Toast”

1. leslie posted on July 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm (#

Bacon Grease makes everything better!

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:39 am

I TOTALLY agree! lol I’m embarrassed to say how much I used to cook with it, in the early years of our marriage!

2. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on July 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm (#

I am seriously all over these! Yum!

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:39 am

come over and I”ll make you some Katrina!! *wink*

3. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on July 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm (#

This looks SO yummy!!! And the pictures are beautiful :)

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:39 am

thanks so much Ashton!

4. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on July 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm (#

Bacon grease – I love it! Bananas and caramel on French toast is my kind of breakfast :) Thanks for sharing!

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:40 am

me too!…..the bananas make it healthy right? lol

5. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted on July 30, 2012 at 5:39 am (#

This sounds fabulous! Love this idea!

6. thyme (sarah) posted on July 30, 2012 at 7:16 am (#

I adore french toast. I am always torn between getting french toast or pancakes and don’t want to miss out on either. I, too, keep bacon fat in the freezer…but I never think to use it…shame! I’ll have to see what states have The Pancake House. We’re heading out on a road trip and the pancakes at The Cracker Barrel were so heavy and oily that last trip.

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:41 am

oh yes!! I hope there’s one you can stop at on your trip!! let me know if you find one and what you think!

7. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on July 30, 2012 at 8:35 am (#

Cheryl, these make my breakfast this morning feel inadequate! :)

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:42 am

I highly doubt that Sommer!…….I’m guessing you’re may have been WAY healthier! lol But these are worth every calorie!

8. marla posted on July 30, 2012 at 8:38 am (#

Such a tasty treat for breakfast Cheryl!

9. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on July 30, 2012 at 8:43 am (#

oh that sounds good

10. Tasha @ ThatsSoYummy posted on July 30, 2012 at 8:48 am (#

I’m drooling! :-)

11. susan posted on July 30, 2012 at 9:25 am (#

everything is better with bacon grease. looks delish, Cheryl.

12. HeatherChristo posted on July 30, 2012 at 9:52 am (#

This is outstanding Cheryl! Some of my very favorite flavors!!

• TidyMom replied on July 30th, 2012 at 10:42 am

I’m adding your banana caramel milkshake to the list here Heather!

13. Amanda posted on July 30, 2012 at 9:57 am (#

Looks amazing Cheryl!

14. Jeanette posted on July 30, 2012 at 11:13 am (#

That Banana Caramel Sauce looks to die for Cheryl! What a treat. Thanks for including my French toast casserole recipe.

15. Angie @ Big Bear's Wife posted on July 30, 2012 at 11:36 am (#

mmm bananas and caramel, yes I can see why you’d call this epic french toast!

16. JulieD posted on July 30, 2012 at 12:59 pm (#

Wow, these look amazing! Those bananas look unreal!

17. Amber {Sprinkled With Flour} posted on July 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm (#

Mmmm, this looks wonderful, my son would be ecstatic if I made this for him! I think I would be ecstatic if I made this for MYSELF. :) I always mean to save my bacon grease, but I always forget, I really need to stop that so I can use it for yummy dishes like this!

18. Russell at Chasing Delicious posted on July 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#

Yum x 10!! I want these oh so much!

19. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on July 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm (#

Gawd! Looks sinful and right up my alley. I wish I was the ‘Allison’ you speak of because I would love to gobble that all up! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

• TidyMom replied on July 31st, 2012 at 9:34 pm

HAHA……. did I ever tell you my youngest daughter’s name is Allison? but you are welcome any time too!!

20. Maria posted on July 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm (#

I am craving French toast now! YUM!!! Thanks for the link love:)

21. Carla @ Carla's Confections posted on July 30, 2012 at 11:22 pm (#

Oh goodness this looks awesome! I usually eat my French toast plain but I think I’m gonna have to change it up with these or the ones you linked to! Love Pioneer Woman’s bananas foster :)

22. Vicki Bensinger posted on July 31, 2012 at 10:59 am (#

I love french toast but this takes it to a whole new level. This looks delicious!

23. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on July 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm (#

you had me at “Caramel” oh fabulous!

24. Mindy posted on July 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm (#

Oh. My. Yumminess!! This looks just too tasty:) I will be pinning this for later!!!

25. Lisa | With Style and Grace posted on July 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm (#

Now I want breakfast for dinner! Gorgeous photos, Cheryl.

• TidyMom replied on July 31st, 2012 at 9:34 pm

thanks Lisa

26. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on July 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm (#

This looks fantastic, Cheryl! And cooked in bacon grease? Yes, please!!

27. Javelin Warrior posted on August 2, 2012 at 11:07 pm (#

I love pancakes, but this french toast would win over my heart any day! I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I love the inspiration I get from your food…

28. PJ posted on August 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm (#

I always cook eggs in bacon grease, but instead of storing it I simply cook the bacon in a pan, drain most of the grease and then fry up the eggs in what is left.

These look amazing!

29. TheDixieDish posted on August 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm (#

This looks amazing and with some crumbled bacon pieces sprinkled over could be heaven on Earth. Appreciate you sharing!

30. Kelly posted on August 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm (#

So making these, but will make a granny smith apple carmel sauce as I REALLY dislike bananas!! Thanks for the great recipe:)

31. Alana posted on August 12, 2012 at 8:29 am (#

What a lovely way to enjoy french toast. I adore your photos!

32. KLFoodBlog posted on August 12, 2012 at 10:25 am (#

They look and taste amazing!

33. chewoutloud.com posted on August 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm (#

Sounds soooo good! What a treat for any time of day. Love, love it!

34. Jo@foodepix.com posted on August 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm (#

This looks amazing and your pictures are gorgeous. I would love for you to come and share your pictures with us over at foodepix.com. Thanks.

35. Dee posted on August 26, 2012 at 8:43 pm (#

OMG!! It’s almost 10:00pm and I so want to make these right now! No worries, morning is a few hours away, i’m going to treat my 6th grader to these mouthwatering lovelies in the morning, thanks so much for sharing.

36. Tim posted on September 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#

That looks so good. I will be having breakfast for dinner tonight

37. Traci posted on November 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm (#

We have a local bakery in Olympia, WA that make the BEST cinnamon bread you have ever had. We used the amazing bread and the rest is your recipe….. WOW! What an awesome treat- Cant wait to make it again over Christmas break <3

Thanks for another great recipie!

1. Pingback: caramel banana french toast. | Cooking Pics