Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake With Brownies
What’s the best way to enjoy brownies with strawberries? Easy Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake! One bowl, mix by hand brownies, fresh strawberries, topped with homemade whipped cream. They definitely need to make an appearance on your Valentine’s (or Galentine’s!) Day table.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
Why We Love Strawberry Brownie Shortcake
I have a true love for strawberry shortcake, and who doesn’t have a soft spot for chocolate. So combining brownies with strawberries is almost like heaven! A new twist on the classic favorite, this Strawberry Brownie Shortcake is simply too good to be true!
Sweet strawberries, homemade fresh whipped cream, and a surprise oatmeal brownie is just so simple, yet so memorable and incredibly delicious! This dessert checks all the boxes, and it’s sure to become your new favorite too.
- An oatmeal brownie cookie that packs a chocolate punch.
- Fresh red strawberries
- Homemade whipped cream
- Easy to make recipe thanks to a box brownie mix
- Chocolate and strawberry in one delicious dessert
- This chocolate shortcake recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day, Easter, a Summer BBQ, or any time you need an easy dessert.
Tools Needed to Make Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Sheet Pan: These are my favorite pans! I use them for everything from roasting veggies to baking cookies and cakes. You will need them to bake the fudgy oatmeal brownie cookies.
Parchment Paper: To line the pan. I love these pre-cut parchment sheets. They fit the half sheet pans perfectly!
Mixing Bowl: A grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Large Cookie Scoop: This will help make all your cookies the same size.
Wire Cooling Rack: To allow your brownies to cool.
Rubber Spatula: Every kitchen needs a good rubber spatula. They are good for everything from cooking dinner to mixing up dessert.
Hand Mixer: You can’t make whipped cream without an electric mixer.
Pairing Knife: for cutting strawberries
Ingredients For Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
The classic combination of strawberries and chocolate with an added little twist cannot be beat!
- one box of your favorite brownie mix – My personal favorite, is usually Ghirardelli brownie mix however, any brownie mix (about 15-17 oz) will do.
- rolled oats – Remember that added twist ingredient? This is it! rolled oats add a healthy element to this classic dessert. Not only do they provide extra fiber, they also add to the overall texture of the brownie. Now you can have your cake and eat it too!
- whipping cream – Some of the whipping cream will be added to the brownie oatmeal mix while the rest will be reserved to make our own homemade whipped cream topping.
- egg – Only one egg is needed since we’re making more of a brownie cookie than a traditional brownie, we want these to be on the fudgy side as opposed to cakey brownies.
- powdered sugar – The powdered sugar adds a sweetness to the whipping cream without making the texture gritty when combined and whipped.
- strawberries – Last but certainly not least, we can’t forget the centerpiece of this dessert – the fresh, juicy strawberries!
How To Make Strawberry Brownie Shortcake
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)
If you love the classic favorite, strawberry shortcake, you’re going to want to make this chocolate version!
Step One: Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Step Two: Combine the package of brownie mix, rolled oats, egg, and whipping cream in a large bowl. Drop large tablespoonfuls of brownie mixture onto greased a sheetpan. This should yield approximately 20 cookies.
Step Three: Bake the brownie cookies for about 8-10 minutes and cool for 2 minutes. Allow the brownie shortcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
Step Four: Combine whipping cream and powdered sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Careful not to overbeat.
Step Five: Slice the strawberries according to your preference. I like to add a little sugar and smash them with a potato masher to juice them up a little.
Step Six: Place one brownie cookie on each individual dessert plate or in a shallow bowl. Top each with strawberries, whipped cream, and place another cookie on top to create a little sandwich. Top each stack with a dollop of whipped cream and more strawberries.
Dig in and enjoy!
Do NOT follow the recipe on the box brownie mix. This recipe uses the brownie mix, rolled oats, an egg, and cream.
This recipe is best if the brownies are fudgy, even if your boxed brownie mix calls for two eggs, just use one egg.
Do not overbake the brownie cookies! That’s how you get your fudgy shortcakes.
Make sure the oatmeal brownie cookies are completely cooled before assembling the chocolate strawberry shortcake dessert.
Brownie Strawberry Shortcake Variations
- Add chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to the brownie mix for even more of a sweet treat. Or try drizzling the top of your chocolate strawberry shortcake with chocolate sauce!
- This recipe can be made with any fruit of your choice. Blueberries, peaches, kiwis, raspberries, maybe a blend of several fruits? The choice is yours!
- Instead of brownie cookies, this could be made into a full-blown cake style by baking the brownie mix in a round pan. Once cooled, split the round layer in half and layer with whipped cream and strawberries. You will have to adjust the baking time if you choose the round pans over the cookie version.
- Make Strawberry Brownie Shortcake parfaits. Follow the recipe above, but bake the brownies in a pan. Cut cooled brownies into cubes and place in glass dessert cups layered with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
- Make chocolate whipped cream by adding a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the powdered sugar.
- You can make the brownies a day or two in advance, then whip up the filling/topping the day of prior to serving.
Like This Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Recipe? Pin It!
Originally posted in March 2011. UPDATED January 2022. We spiffed up this post with more info and better pictures! No changes to the original recipe.
- 1 box of your favorite brownies mix (about 15-18 ounce box*)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 pints (6 cups) fresh strawberries
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Grease or line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- COMBINE brownie mix, oats, 1/2 cup of cream, and egg in a large bowl and mix well. Drop large tablespoonfuls of the brownie mixture onto prepared pan. I usually get approximately 20 cookies.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes; then remove from pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- COMBINE remaining 1½ cups whipping cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl; beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- SLICE strawberries (OPTIONAL: *I added a little sugar and smashed with a potato smasher to juice them up a little)
- PLACE 1 brownie cookie on each individual dessert plate or shallow bowl. Top each with strawberries, whipped cream, and another cookie. Top each stack with dollop of whipped cream and strawberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 47mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.