Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese
A kick of hot sauce and chicken gives a new twist to this old classic, Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese recipe.
click to see more of my recipe videos
When I hear the words “comfort food” Macaroni and Cheese is one of the first things that comes to mind. It’s an ooey-gooey food that warms you, makes you feel cozy, soothes you when you need it and reminds you of childhood.
What happens when you mix comfort food with man food? It’s a recipe made in heaven. I knew when I first ran across this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese on The Food Nework it had my family’s name written all over it (with just a few modifications).
Be forewarned, it does take a little more prep time in the kitchen than I expected and it made enough for an army. So plan accordingly. It’s well worth the time, and if you’re not serving a crowd you could easily make half the recipe.
It’s also a bit on the hot and spicy side, so you might want to adjust the hot sauce and cheese for your family’s taste!
Buffalo Chicken Mac 'n Cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided) salt
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (divided)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound yellow sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3.5 cups)
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the milk and cream, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko, blue cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
This would be perfect for any Superbowl party menu!
What’s your favorite comfort food?