Recipes

Bean and Avocado Salsa Tortilla Cups

bean and avocado salsa at TidyMom

I absolutely LOVE avocados!  Ever since I had my first taste of guacamole about a year and a half ago,  I’ve been adding avocados to my salads, sandwiches and I recently added them to my new favorite bean salsa recipe, also known as cowboy caviar.

Since I haven’t had a lot of experience with avocados, and I tend to buy them when they are still a little green, I decided to learn how to ripen an avocado quickly.

How to Pick a Ripe Avocado

When looking for a ripe avocado, choose one with a firm flesh, but gives a little when you squeeze.  Place the avocado in the palm of your hand.  Give it a gentle squeeze.  If it’s hard, it’s not ripe.  If it’s soft and squishy, it’s overripe.  If yields to gentle pressure, it’s ready to eat.

Your best bet is to buy ripe avocados the day that you need them.

Ripening Avocados

According to The Kitchn you can quickly ripen avocados with the help of a banana!

• Place an under ripe avocado in a paper bag with an banana or apple.
  • Close the bag closed and leave it to sit on the counter.

The ethylene gas in the banana or apple will trigger ripening of the avocado in about 24 hours.

Bean and Avocado Salsa Recipe

This bean salsa is a simple dish to put together for any size crowd, and it will keep well for days after.  In fact, it actually gets better the longer you let it sit.  It will spice up your meal and make everything a bit more colorful!

I served it up in crispy tortilla cups as a special side when we grilled over the holiday weekend.  What I really love about this flavor packed dish, is you can make it all ahead of time, just wait to place the salsa in the tortilla cups when ready to serve, otherwise the tortillas will become soggy.

Bean Salsa Ingredients at TidyMom

This recipe is really flexible, you can use as much or as little of any of the ingredients as you wish.  It can also easily be doubled or more for a larger crowd.

Bean and Avocado Salsa Tortilla Cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

Bean and Avocado Salsa Tortilla Cups

This colorful bean salsa is a simple dish to put together for any size crowd, and it will keep well for days after.

Ingredients

• 8 fajita size(6") flour tortillas
  • 16 oz can pinto beans, drained (I prefer Bush's)
  • 1/2 cup sweet crisp canned corn
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes (I like to use Hunt's Fire Roasted)
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper, deveined and minced
  • 1 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 lime, juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small California avocado, cubed

Instructions

1. Place tortillas in cupcake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350°F until crispy. Set aside to cool completely.
  2. In a large bowl, mix beans, corn,tomatoes, onion, pepper, cilantro, and lime juice in a large bowl and season to taste. Drizzle olive oil over top. Gently fold in avocados.
  3. Spoon the bean salsa into the tortilla cups when ready to serve.
  4. Enjoy.

Notes

any of the ingredients can be adjusted to your likes.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

bean salsa recipe

More avocado recipes you may enjoy:

BLT and Avocado Wrap

Grilled Corn & Avocado Salad with Lime & Basil

Hamburger with Avocado

Avocado Fries

Avocado Ranch Dip

Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Chimichurri Sauce

Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

Gigi Salad

Grilled Cheese with Tomato, Avocado, Bacon, and Arugula

Do you have a favorite avocado or cowboy caviar recipe?

Join Dine & Dish and Cookin’ Canuck for the California Avocado 4th of July Blast, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.

73 Responses to “Bean and Avocado Salsa Tortilla Cups”

1. Amanda posted on May 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm (#

This looks so good I cant stand it. I have to make this today!!! Awesome recipe and pictures Tidymom! :)

• TidyMom replied on May 29th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Thanks so much Amanda

2. Amy @ Living Locurto posted on May 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm (#

Yum! I love the little shells. I’ll be making these for my next party.

• TidyMom replied on May 29th, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I have more plans for those shells!! they are great aren’t they?

3. Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com posted on May 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm (#

I’m crazy about avocados, too! Those shells would be great for mini taco salads as well. NOM!

• TidyMom replied on May 29th, 2012 at 4:21 pm

yep!! tacos are next on my list!

4. Jeanette posted on May 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm (#

Cheryl, love these little bites, perfect as an afternoon snack for my kids or for a summer appetizer.

5. Kristen posted on May 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm (#

I used their pinto beans with bacon in a recipe posted today. They are so delicious! Love these little bites!

• TidyMom replied on May 29th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I bet that’s delicious Kristen!

6. Raquel posted on May 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm (#

Love the tortilla cups! It looks delicious!

7. Maria posted on May 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm (#

I am addicted to avocados! Great post! I could eat this salsa all day long! Love the cups too!

8. HeatherChristo posted on May 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm (#

I love these! the fact that the cups are baked make them the perfect snack- my husband will go nuts for these little treats!

9. susan posted on May 29, 2012 at 5:36 pm (#

An avocado with a sprinkling of salt is my favorite! However baking the tortillas(brilliant?) is a must do – ASAP. Love all the stuff you have put into your avocado salsa. Happy Summer, Cheryl!

10. Cookin' Canuck posted on May 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm (#

These are adorable, Cheryl! Another tip for ripening avocados…place them in a (dark) drawer. That’s what my mum always did, and it seemed to do the trick.

• TidyMom replied on May 29th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

thanks Dara!!

11. Michele posted on May 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm (#

Love the idea… I’ll try it! One thing I must say… how sad that you’ve only just (18mos ago) tasted an avocado. I guess I take for granted that we have avocados readily available here in California! But now you can enjoy them forever!!! I can’t wait to make this– it looks delish!

• TidyMom replied on May 29th, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I know! Avocados are just something my mom never fed us, so it was a food I was never introduced to until I ate out with some friends who ordered guacamole and I fell in love!

12. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on May 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm (#

Love avocados and I especially love how adorable those little cups are! Too cute.

13. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted on May 29, 2012 at 8:42 pm (#

This looks fantastic, I love Tex-Mex and this would just do the trick!

14. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on May 29, 2012 at 8:46 pm (#

What a perfect summer snack. Yum!

15. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on May 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm (#

looks great Cheryl! I hope you had a great weekend! This was all over pinterest today. I pinned it too

16. Aninas Recipes posted on May 30, 2012 at 1:14 am (#

I think this is such a versatile dish! What a great party starter!

17. Carolyn posted on May 30, 2012 at 4:47 am (#

I love avocados, more than words can say. And I love these little cups, I might need to do these for our barbecue next weekend!

18. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted on May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am (#

These are so fun!!

19. sue @ cakeballs. cookies and more posted on May 30, 2012 at 8:15 am (#

oh yum!

20. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on May 30, 2012 at 9:04 am (#

Cheryl, what a cool way to use tortillas! My kids could help make these and would be thrilled at the idea for making them “all by themselves.”

21. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free posted on May 30, 2012 at 9:14 am (#

how adorable is this?? I am having a mexican-inspired dinner on Sunday, and this will make a perfect app!

• TidyMom replied on May 30th, 2012 at 10:58 am

oh perfect!!

22. Mimi Holtz posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:04 am (#

Nice avocado post! We grow avocados on our family farm. We think the best bet is to have some in the kitchen at all times…so that when they’re perfectly ripe we’ll have some to eat! Since they don’t begin to soften until they leave the tree, waiting for the perfect time to eat them is part of the process of enjoying avocados. Love having those beauties in the kitchen!

23. Mimi Holtz posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:12 am (#

We need to get you out to California for an avocado adventure. Would love to show you our ranchand introduce you to all things avocado!

• TidyMom replied on May 30th, 2012 at 10:59 am

oh that would be so fun!!!

24. Holly Green posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:37 am (#

This looks really good. If I don’t like avacado, what can I substitute for it?

• TidyMom replied on May 30th, 2012 at 10:59 am

just leave the avocado out Holly

25. Denise posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:42 am (#

Love this ! Was wondering if you can tell me what brand, kind of tortillas you bought? There are so many to choose from…your’s look thicker than the ones I normally buy…can you pleees?

• TidyMom replied on May 30th, 2012 at 11:00 am

I just bought the Wal-Mart brand

26. nest of posies posted on May 30, 2012 at 11:03 am (#

omword! as always this looks amazing.

beans + avocado = YUM! i love your creative ways of baking them too! so clever.

xo
    kellie

27. aida mollenkamp posted on May 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm (#

Such a great party food staple for the warmer months ahead!

28. Kiaran posted on May 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm (#

Hi Cheryl! Love the post on avocados. I represent the Califiornia Avocado Commission and I think there could be some ways we could work together. Shoot me abn email and let’s set up a time to chat!
    -Kiaran

29. RecipeNewZ posted on May 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm (#

I found this post though Pinterest. The photo was so beautiful that I
    just had to come here to read the recipe! Love it! And love your site
    :-).

30. marla posted on May 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm (#

Cheryl, you blog is looking awesome!! Love all the changes and this salsa too!

31. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on May 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm (#

Love the tip for ripening avocados, it’s never ripe when you want to use it!

32. Yvette posted on May 31, 2012 at 1:44 am (#

I made these for dinner tonight I made beans, cooked rotel and onions and cilantro! They were delicious!

33. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies posted on May 31, 2012 at 9:25 am (#

Just love these, Cheryl. I’m wondering what else I could shove into tortilla cups like that!

34. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on May 31, 2012 at 11:13 am (#

I absolutely love the simplicity of this dish! And those colors are just so vibrant.

Also, thanks for the avocado tips! I am the absolute worst when it comes to picking avocados.

35. Darla | Bakingdom posted on May 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm (#

These are great! I can’t wait to make them when the Hubster gets home! I really love the tortilla cups. :)

36. Shaina posted on May 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm (#

These would be the perfect party appetizer!

37. Kirstina Vanni posted on May 31, 2012 at 5:59 pm (#

These look so fresh and yummy for summer! Love the color! Thanks for sharing.

38. Angela S. posted on May 31, 2012 at 6:39 pm (#

Looks amazing! Pinning right now!

39. Amy posted on May 31, 2012 at 6:43 pm (#

This looks yum- I just bookmarked it to try! I am like you and really just started exploring Avocado’s… Here is my favorite find – avocado banana ice cream. Sara over at Thrifty Decor Chic posted a recipe and I changed it up a bit… I really can’t believe it’s good, but I am addicted to it!

40. bridget {bake at 350} posted on June 1, 2012 at 9:26 am (#

These are so pretty, Cheryl! I can’t wait to try them…and I want to use those tortilla cups for everything! ;)

41. Kim Bee posted on June 1, 2012 at 11:10 am (#

What a great recipe. Love the cups. I do them for tacos. It’s just such a fun presentation.

42. Russell at Chasing Delicious posted on June 2, 2012 at 11:46 am (#

How cool is this! Yummy.

43. Abby posted on June 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm (#

Wow! That looks amazing!!! Thanks for the recipe.

44. Christina at I Gotta Create! posted on June 5, 2012 at 6:48 am (#

I don’t usually check out recipes at linky parties, but THIS one looks fabulous! Perfect for summer!!
    <3 Christina

45. Lisa posted on June 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm (#

Okay that looks so good I am going to make it tomorrow

46. Judy posted on June 12, 2012 at 10:47 am (#

What a great looking recipe. I love avocados too and I think the idea of making the mini shells is awesome. I found you at a link party and am now subscribing to you via email. I think you could be a big help to my usual dinner issues. I’d love for you to link up to my party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. I think this recipe would be a huge hit at the party too.

47. Kevin @ Closet Cooking posted on June 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm (#

Those bean and avocado cups are looking really good!

48. Danielle posted on June 13, 2012 at 8:22 am (#

These look amazing. I need to make these for my guys!

49. Ximena posted on October 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm (#

I tried the shells but they broke when I put them on the muffin tin. It did not work for me

50. SweetSugarbelle posted on January 29, 2013 at 8:56 am (#

I love those little cups! I had no idea you could do that! Pinning to make on Saturday!

1. Pingback: Bean and Avocado Salsa Tortilla Cups « muffintinmommy

2. Pingback: 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes for Football Season.] | Lifestyle Pins

4. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes for Football Season.] » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

5. Pingback: Cowboy Caviar in Homemade Tortilla Cups