I’m Lovin’ It – Spiced Mocha Cupcakes
Those who know me well, know I’m an avid coffee drinker. Not the fru-fru “pretend coffee” drinker…..a nice fresh brewed cup of Folgers with a spoonful of Low Fat Coffee-Mate x 4-5 cups each morning drinker.
Now don’t get me wrong, I LOOOOVE my frappes, and lattes but to me, those aren’t “coffee”. Those are dessert coffees……and what do I love almost more than a dessert coffee?……how about a coffee dessert!
Last week my oldest asked if I would make a yummy dessert she could take to work for one of the other stylists who was having a birthday. – She wanted chocolate and only likes “fluffy whipped cream like” frosting.
I thumbed thru some of my bookmarked recipes and found one I’ve been dying to make! It’s a cake, but I made cupcakes..and I think they turned out every bit as delicious as I had imagined.
If you’re not a huge coffee fan, don’t worry, the coffee flavor is not over powering!—–and, I would keep this in the refrigerator because of the whipped cream on top……or you could keep the cupcakes out and top with whipped cream right before serving.
Supplies I used:
- Gold and Brown Damask Cupcake liners found at Michaels
- Large round tip from Sweet Baking Supply
- 4 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 tbsps. butter
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Powdered sugar (to garnish)
- 1/2 pt. whipping cream
- 3 tbsps. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners. Coat cupcake papers with no-stick cooking spray.
- Place chocolate and butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power 45 to 60 seconds, stir and repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred.
- Combine coffee, potato flakes, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in large mixing bowl, stirring until moistened.
- Blend in sugar and vanilla.
- Blend in chocolate mixture and egg yolks.
- In a medium blow, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually blend into chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed of electric mixer until stiff.
- Add to chocolate mixture and blend on low speed until completely blended, scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until set in center.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan. Sprinkle liberally with sifted powdered sugar.
- Combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in medium mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer until stiff.
- Pipe on top of cupcakes.
Recipe from Folgers.
Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://Tidymom.net
What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here
*Having trouble linking up? you MUST be entering a permalink (link directly to your post, NOT your main blog address) AND you MUST link back to http://tidymom.net in your post
@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera