Italian Ice is a simple frozen treat that is an impressive dessert served any time of the year.
I’m not a fan of the heat.
I want to just say inside in my air conditioning and wait for fall. OK, so maybe I could handle it if I was floating down a lazy river with a nice frosty drink in my hand. You would think this is a little odd coming from someone who has lived in Missouri all her life……don’t you think she would get use to the heat? I mean seriously, is this forecast a joke?
add the Midwest humidity to this and we will have heat index well over 100.
So what’s a girl to do in this scorching heat? Make some frozen treats!! Ice cream can be a little hard on the hips, so we’ve been enjoying something a little more low cal but every bit as enjoyable!!
This Italian Ice is an easy frozen treat, for hot summer days with no added sugar! Music to my ears!
Summary: This simple, refreshing, frozen summer treat is sure to be a hit.
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice (no sugar added)
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1 can (8oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- mint, to garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (expect for mint).
- Pour into an 8 inch square dish.
- Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours, just until almost firm.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and beat for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Return mixture to dish, and freeze until firm.
- Remove from freezer 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
1/2 cup equals 79 calories
© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
This is one of those recipes where I love to use my vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract……see how you can see the flecks of vanilla in the treat? – you don’t get that with vanilla extract.
More frozen treats you may enjoy
How are you staying cool this summer?
I'm linking up with these parties.......please visit them!