Avocado Chicken Salad
This Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe is ridiculously easy to throw together and makes a quick sandwich, wrap, or salad. Great to bring to a picnic or just have it for an easy lunch or weeknight meal.
If you’re looking for more chicken salad recipes, you’ll never go wrong with our favorites like this one, Creamy Dill Chicken Salad, BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad, or Creamy Chicken Pasta Salad.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
Why We Love Avocado Chicken Salad
It’s no secret that chicken salad is always a fan favorite at any backyard party, shower, or potluck, and for good reason. It’s a delicious staple everyone flocks to because of its simple yet scrumptious flavors. This avocado chicken salad takes this classic favorite and puts a tangy, and perfectly spiced twist on the original recipe we all know and love.
Packed full of simple, yet flavorful ingredients you probably already have on hand, it’s the perfect recipe to keep on hand for a last-minute dish perfect for any occasion.
To make this avocado chicken salad recipe you just need a handful of basic ingredients:
- shredded cooked chicken – I like to use rotisserie chicken. Feel free to use whatever leftover chicken you have on hand.
- Hellmann’s Mayonnaise – You can use any brand you prefer, but I love Hellmann’s for chicken salad. Its tangy flavor adds a bit of personality to this dish.
- avocado, chopped
- green onions, sliced
- celery, thinly sliced – gives the chicken salad an awesome crunch.
- lemon or lime juice – this will keep the avocado from turning brown quickly
- Creole seasoning – this is the “secret ingredient” that brings all the flavor!
How To Make Avocado Chicken Salad
STEP ONE: Drizzle avocado with lemon or lime juice
STEP TWO: Use a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
STEP THREE: Taste to see if you need more seasoning.
STEP FOUR: Serve on bread as a sandwich or over lettuce as a salad.
This easy to throw together, summer party favorite is almost foolproof, but any recipe can always be improved, so check out some of these helpful tips to make sure you end up with the best chicken salad recipe every time.
- I have found that Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise has the best flavor for avocado chicken salad. You can, of course, use any mayo or Miracle Whip if you prefer, but my first choice is Hellmann’s because of its tangy flavor.
- Don’t add salt to this chicken salad because Creole Seasoning can be very salty. So use it sparingly. I LOVE the flavor profile it adds, but you can easily ruin it by adding too much. You may want to start with 1/4 teaspoon, and taste before adding more.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed then squeeze the lemon or lime juice over both halves, then remove the skin and chop.
- Chill the chicken salad if not serving right away. Let the salad return to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.
How To Serve The Best Chicken Salad?
There’s really not a wrong way to eat chicken salad. Whether you grab a fork and just dig right into the container, enjoy it on a cracker, or make a lunch out of it by adding your favorite bread, you won’t be disappointed with the best chicken salad recipe. Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy my avocado chicken salad.
As a Sandwich – on your favorite bread, croissants, wrap, or buns.
As chicken salad boat – served in a scooped-out avocado, cantaloupe, or tomato
As a dip – with crackers or sliced veggies (we love it paired with sliced cucumbers)
As a salad – on a bed of salad greens
Have a different way you serve chicken salad? Let me know your favorites in the comments below!
How to store chicken salad? Chicken salad is best when stores in an airtight container and placed in the refrigerator. I personally think chicken salad recipes are even better the next day after all of the ingredients have had the chance to soak into each other or an even more amazing flavor profile.
How long does chicken salad stay fresh? Leftover chicken salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When ready to serve from the fridge, simply give it a quick stir, and add a touch more mayo if the mixture has dried up at all. Note: the avocado in the mixture might begin to brown after a day or two, so I recommend just adding the avocado as you serve the chicken salad.
Can you freeze chicken salad? Due to the nature of the ingredients used to make this amazing avocado chicken salad, I don’t recommend freezing the mixture as a whole. If you’d like to do some prep ahead of time, you can always prepare the chicken and freeze it up to a month in advance to remove one step the day of.
Can I substitute the mayo? The best substitute for mayo when it comes to altering any chicken salad recipe is to use plain Greek yogurt. This will replicate the tangy flavor of mayo the best. Other options include; cottage cheese, Dijon mustard, or hummus.
Like This Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe? Pin It!
Follow Along On Social Media
If you’re looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on Facebook, I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Connect with TidyMom! Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I like to use rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (*see notes)
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 4-5 green onions, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice (*see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning (* see notes)
- ground pepper to taste
- Drizzle avocado with lemon or lime juice (*this will keep it from turning brown quickly).
- In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Taste to see if you need more seasoning. *See Notes.
- Serve on bread as a sandwich or over lettuce as a salad. Chill if not serving right away. Let the salad return to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.
- I have found that Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise has the best flavor for this salad. You can, of course, use any mayo or Miracle Whip if you prefer, but my first choice is Hellmann's.
- I don't add salt to this chicken salad because Creole Seasoning can be very salty. So use it sparingly. I LOVE the flavor profile it adds, but you can easily ruin it by adding too much. You may want to start with 1/4 teaspoon, and taste before adding more.
- I cut my avocado in half, remove the seed then squeeze the lemon or lime juice over both halves, then I remove the skin and chop. If you don't expect leftovers, you can skip this step if you don't have a lemon or lime
Leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 373mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.
This really sounds delicious and definitely on my list to make in the near future.
Thanks for sharing!
I love all these yummy fresh ingredients. It’s a perfect Summer lunch!