I had never made, and I’m not sure I had ever eaten, Enchiladas but it certainly sounded like something we’d like, and this one got two thumbs up from everyone!
Any time I find a recipe that is liked by the whole family……it’s a keeper for me!!
It doesn’t take a pretty picture, but it sure is delicious!!
*This recipe does require some prep time – about 45 mins if you’re using cooked chicken or about 1 hour 15 mins. if you need to cook your chicken.
- 2 pounds chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 T. honey
- 1/4 c lime juice
- 1 Tb chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce (mild)
- 3-4 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 flour tortillas
- I put a few thawed chicken breasts in a 350° oven for about 35-40min, then shred (you could do this a head of time, even the day before) – or you could use a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocer.
- Mix together sauce ingredients then add to chicken. Let it marinate with the meat for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 pan with no-stick spray.
- Pour enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the pan (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup).
- Fill flour tortillas with chicken and *shredded cheese and just a little enchilada sauce (*be sure to save about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas).
- Roll and place filled enchiladas in pan on top of sauce.
- Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade, if you have any.
- Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown on top.
- Then turn on broiler and place enchiladas nearer the top of oven. Let it broil until cheese is slightly brown and crispy. (I forgot to do this, but can’t wait to do this the next time I make them)
© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Give it a try……….I bet your family will thank you as much as mine did!!
I’m sharing this recipe at Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam Mouth Watering Mondays and Tuesdays at the Table, Tuesday Tastes, Foodie Friday recipe exchanges, and Kimba’s DIY Day and Friday Fun Finds