Make a simple and fun decorated snowman cookie with royal icing.
As I write this post, just 3 hours earlier it was 56° outside…….and now there are blustering wind gusts of 50 mph and snow blowing like a blizzard! That’s living in the Midwest for ya! We are only supposed to end up with a dusting of snow in St. Louis, but it’s the first taste of winter we’ve had and the perfect day to share my snowman cookies I made last week.
December is such a busy time in the kitchen, so I like to make my decorated cookies simple, like the Santa Belly Cookies I made a few years ago.
This year I went about as simple as you can get! Mini Snowman face cookies.
Here’s What You Need To Make Snowman Cookies
- recipe for Vanilla Almond Butter Cookies
- 2″ round cookie cutter (I used a cap, but I plan to get this 11 piece set of round cutters)
- royal icing
- orange gel color
- black edible marker
- two 12″ disposable icing bags
- #7 or #8 icing tip
- #3 icing tip
Direction for Mini Snowman Face Cookies
- Bake cookies and let cool completely. See my tips for baking cookies, that includes a video on how I roll out cookie dough
- Make one batch of royal icing in white. Thin with water until it’s the consistency similar to shampoo. I use this 20 second rule for consistency
- Fill an icing bag with coupler and #7 or #8 tip and cover the top of the cookies with white icing. (outline and flood all with the same icing)
- Let the white dry for about 30-60 minutes.
- Add orange color to remaining white icing, again, using the 20-second rule for consistency. Place in an icing bag with coupler and #3 tip.
- pipe a “carrot” nose in the center of each cookie. Let dry overnight.
- 12-24 hours later. Use the edible marker for eyes and mouth
That’s all there is to it! I love that I only had to mix one color. At first, I was a little disappointed in the fact that I could not make a nice even circle to save my life with the icing when my sweet hubby reminded me that he’s rarely seen a snowman with a perfectly round head 😉 So don’t worry about perfection – everyone will love them!
Box them up or put them in a jar with a ribbon and they make adorable gifts!
So how about you? Have you done any cookie decorating this holiday?
I’m Lovin’…….Snowman Cookies
Now it’s your turn!
Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!
What is I’m Lovin’ It? get all the info here
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.