Cheesy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Incredible Smashed Potatoes are the easiest and tastiest side dish ever! Made with mouthwatering ingredients like fresh Parmesan cheese, garlic, dill, and butter, these potatoes are impossible to resist. The only issue? They might be even better than your main entree!
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
SAVE this recipe to Pinterest!
Favorite Smashed Potatoes
Let’s be honest – mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that everyone loves, but sometimes, they can be a bit lackluster. Once you enjoy this cheesy smashed potato recipe, don’t be surprised if it becomes your go-to potato recipe for every meal.
Sometimes coming up with a side dish to make with dinner can be tough. You have your main figured out (crispy baked chicken tenders, flank steak sliders, glazed pork tenderloin), but not sure what to serve with it. These easy seasoned potatoes go with everything, and never let me down.
Plus, they’re picky eater approved! I haven’t met a single kid who didn’t love these creamy parmesan smashed potatoes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
How To Make The Best Smashed Potatoes
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)
These Parmesan smashed potatoes come out of the oven so full flavor, with crispy, savory potato skins – my favorite part!
It only takes 9 simple ingredients and about 25 minutes of your time to make this incredible side dish. That’s perfect because you’ll have more time to focus on your entree!
NOTE: If you’re making these for a larger crowd, I recommend doubling up on this recipe. From my experience serving these potatoes, people always end up wanting more than one!
- Start by preheating your oven to 450°F. While that’s heating up, line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Prepare the potatoes by placing them in a large pot of salted water. Boil the potatoes just until they’re fork-tender, and the skin is just beginning to split. This should only take about 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, garlic powder, and dill weed. Just so you know… this is going to make your kitchen smell delicious!
- Once the potatoes are boiled and tender, drain the potatoes and let them dry in a colander for 5 minutes. Then spread them evenly on the prepared sheet pan. Next, use a potato masher or heavy-bottom glass to gently smash each potato to about ½ inch thickness. If you have kids, they’ll love helping you smash the potatoes!
- After they’ve been smashed, drizzle each potato with the butter mixture. Sprinkle salt and pepper over them all before adding a little drizzle of olive oil. You can also use olive oil cooking spray if you have any handy.
- Cook the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes. After that, remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the potatoes with parmesan, and return to the oven until the cheese is deliciously melted.
- Time to serve! Serve them warm, and feel free to season with a little extra salt, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
Smashed Potatoes Tips
After adding the parmesan, you can set the oven to broil if you want more of a browned top and crispier edges. If you choose to do this, be sure to keep a close eye on the potatoes! When broiling, they can burn very quickly.
Small red or golden potatoes work best for this recipe. Large potatoes take a much longer time to bake, and might not have the same consistency as the small potatoes this recipe calls for.
Both red and yellow potatoes are delicious, but you may want to be aware that red potato skins have more flavor.
Storage And Variations
How long will these smashed potatoes stay fresh? In an airtight container in the fridge, this delicious side dish will stay fresh for up to 3 days. To reheat, I recommend using the oven! Simply set the temperature to something low, like 300° F, and let them reheat for about 10 minutes. If reheated in the microwave, they will lose their crispy texture.
Can they be frozen? Absolutely! In an airtight container, the smashed potatoes will stay fresh for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve them, let them defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating them in the oven. They should be just as good as when you first made them!
- Are you a cheese lover? If you want them even cheesier, try adding some mozzarella with the parmesan. The taste will be a bit different, but it’ll still be delicious!
- When serving potatoes, I usually offer sour cream or garlic aioli on the side. While these are certainly delicious all on their own, a dollop of sour cream or aioli on top is SO complimentary with the dill and parmesan!
- Any variety of herbs and spices can be used with smashed potatoes. Try rosemary, garlic, and thyme or garlic powder and smoked paprika or really any seasonings you like.
More Potato Side Dishes To Try
There are so many potato-based side dishes in the world to choose from! Here are just some of my other go-to favorites.
Au Gratin Potatoes – Au Gratin Potatoes are a family favorite casserole recipe with layers of thinly sliced spuds drenched in a cheesy cream sauce. This potato side dish must be on your holiday table. It’s perfect with ham, turkey, pork, chicken, and other entrees.
Acorn Squash Mashed Potatoes – Give a fall-inspired twist to an old favorite with Acorn Squash Mashed Potatoes. Nutty acorn squash and buttery Yukon gold potatoes are mashed to creamy perfection. The result is a festive, flavorful side dish everyone will love.
BLT Red Potato Salad with Avocado – This easy Red Potato Salad has an avocado ranch dressing along with bacon, lettuce, and tomato! It’s a simple crowd-pleasing side dish for any size gathering.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Stuffed Mushrooms with Garlic Brown Butter Breadcrumbs – Whether you’re hosting a holiday party or cheering on your favorite team, cheesy mashed potato stuffed mushrooms are a crowd-pleaser. Sautéed mushrooms stuffed with creamy cheesy mashed potatoes for an appetizer both mushroom and loaded baked potato lovers will enjoy!
Like This Smashed Potato Recipe? Pin It!
Keep your crew happy with this easy side dish for any weeknight dinner.
Follow Along On Social Media
If you’re looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on Facebook, I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.