Banana Buster Brown Cupcakes
To me, cupcakes are all about FLAVOR ! Give me an ordinary looking but delicious cupcake over a cute bland cupcake any day.
I know I talk about doctoring up cake mixes for cupcakes, and for most of the time, they really are very good……but still nothing beats the texture and flavor of home made cake batter, except when it’s topped with a frosting that’s so good it makes your head spin!
I have been thinking hard about a cupcake that would have a flavor combo that would knock our socks off……I know how much my family loves my banana bread with chocolate chips…..so banana chocolate cupcakes it would be!
Next I wanted to top them with a frosting that oozes “come to mama”…… maybe add just one more flavor to this dynamic duo. I found Martha Stewart brown sugar butter cream and it was love at first site! I knew it would be the perfect companion……….if I added a touch of peanut butter! Peanut Butter Brown Sugar Buttercream
May I introduce to you………. Banana Buster Brown Cupcakes
Ripe mashed bananas mixed with cocoa powder make a moist delicious cupcake, only made better by topping with peanut butter brown sugar buttercream. A sweet flavor combination that's sure to please any sweet tooth.
Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated white sugar1 scant cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or Dutch-processed)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 medium sized banana)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola or corn oil
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Brown Sugar Buttercream
- 2 large egg whites (*see tip on freezing yolks)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners
- Using a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- In another large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until combined: egg, banana, water, milk, oil, vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minuets or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool completely before frosting.
for Peanut Butter Brown Sugar Buttercream
- In a heat proof bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar and salt.
- Place over (not in) a pan of simmering water.
- Cook, whisking continuously until sugar is dissolved and warm to the touch.
- Pour mixture into bowl of electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 15 minutes.
- Raise speed to high, and mix until stiff peaks form (this took about 7 minutes for me)
- Reduce speed to medium-low and add peanut butter a little at a time, then butter, 1 tablespoon as a time until fully mixed.
- Pipe onto cupcakes.
Cupcake Decorating Supplies:
- for cupcakes I like to use 16″ Wilton disposable pastry bags
- jumbo french decorating tip
- black cupcake liners
- black stripe cupcake liners
- chocolate jimmies
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.