Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
This Sesame Asian Chicken Salad is perfectly crunchy and flavorful. A restaurant-quality salad made with crisp lettuce, juicy mandarin oranges, tender grilled chicken, and crunchy wonton strips tossed with my favorite Honey Sesame Asian Salad Dressing. It’s sure to become a family favorite.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
SAVE this recipe to Pinterest!
Simple Asian Chicken Salad
In the summertime, we tend to grill a lot and eat as light as possible during the hottest days. While the hottest, muggiest days seem to be never-ending this year, I’m ok with it if it means eating this Asian Chicken Salad several times a week.
Who are we kidding……This sesame chicken salad. Lunch. Every single day. It has everything from color and crunch to sweet and tangy. After all, eating a salad every day has to be a good thing right?
If you love the Asian salad kits from the grocery store then you’re going to love this crunchy Asian chopped salad with chicken and homemade sesame dressing.
Don’t forget to add crunchy wonton strips. Most grocery stores carry them next to the salad dressings. They definitely add an extra crunch!
What’s in Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)
Asian chicken salad is a wonderful go-to recipe anytime you have leftover grilled chicken breasts on hand from last night’s dinner or barbecue.
- Base: romaine lettuce or spring mix and Homemade Sesame Vinaigrette
- Crunch: wonton strips, red onion
- Flavor: grilled chicken, scallions, chopped cilantro
- Garnish: toasted slivered almonds, mandarin oranges
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
How To Quickly Grill Chicken For a Salad
If you don’t have leftover chicken, don’t fret, it’s super quick and easy to grill chicken breasts. If I’m doing this I will make a double batch of the sesame vinaigrette and marinate a pound or two of chicken tenderloins for about 30 minutes before I throw them on the grill. This gives the salad added flavor and I have enough chicken for salads all week.
TO GRILL CHICKEN: I usually grill my chicken on our gas grill, it only takes about 10 minutes. I just season chicken tenderloins (chicken breast strips) with salt and pepper and spray the grill grates with grilling no-stick spray. You can all so cook the seasoned chicken in a cast-iron skillet, or simply use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken or previously cooked or store-bought, cubed chicken.
How To Make This Salad
It doesn’t get much easier…….
- Make the vinaigrette: Add all of the dressing ingredients to a wide mouth jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until emulsified.
- Grill Chicken: If not using leftover chicken, toss the chicken on the grill while the dressing sits to allow flavors to mingle for at least 30.
- Toss the salad: Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with the vinaigrette, and toss until combined.
- Serve: Divide evenly between bowls and serve immediately.
Variations For Asian Salad
Want to try something a little different, give some of these a try…..
- Greens: romaine, spring mix or even broccoli slaw mix all work well
- Protein: swap out the chicken for shrimp, smoked salmon, BBQ pork, or steak. (any of these would be wonderful marinated in the dressing before grilling)
- Nuts: peanuts or cashews are a great substitute for the almonds
- Crunch: try chow mein noodles in place of the wonton strips, add matchstick carrots, snap peas and/or raw broccoli
- Creamy Dressing: add a tablespoon of peanut butter for a creamier dressing.
Can This Salad Be Made Ahead
The dressing and the chicken can both be made ahead of time. But it’s best to mix the salad right before serving.
If you want to make this Asian chicken salad to serve a crowd, I would grill small chicken breasts and place them on a platter alongside the salad and let guests add a chicken breast to their salad.
Chicken can be served warm or cold with this sesame chicken salad. It’s so stinking easy, for entertaining, or any given day of the week!
Like This Asian Chicken Salad Recipe? Pin It!
Follow Along On Social Media
If you’re looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on Facebook, I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
This Asian Sesame Chicken Salad is perfectly crunchy and flavorful. A restaurant-quality salad made with crisp lettuce, juicy mandarin oranges, tender grilled chicken, and crunchy wonton strips tossed with my favorite honey sesame vinaigrette. It's sure to become a family favorite.
- 8 cups romaine lettuce or Spring Mix
- 12 ounces grilled chicken* (shredded, sliced or diced)
- 15 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup wonton strips
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Honey Sesame Vinaigrette
- In a large bowl combine all of the salad ingredients and top with Honey Sesame Vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Divide evenly between bowls and serve immediately.
*GRILLED CHICKEN: I usually grill my chicken on our gas grill, it only takes about 10 minutes. I just season them with salt and pepper and spray the grill grates with no-stick spray for the grill. You can all so cook the seasoned chicken in a cast-iron skillet, or simply use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken or previously cooked or store-bought, cubed chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 19gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.