Chicken and Cheese Biscuit Bake
Chicken and Cheese Biscuit Bake is the ideal comfort food classic. It’s a creamy chicken casserole with biscuit topping, like a flavorful cheesy chicken stew.
This easy chicken and biscuits recipe has been in my husband’s top 5 favorites for years! Tender chicken breasts in a cheesy white sauce are topped with homestyle biscuits in this Creamy Chicken and Cheese Biscuit Bake.
It’s a simple one-dish meal the whole family will love!
Let’s Make Chicken and Cheese Biscuit Bake
Rotisserie chicken and canned biscuits make this shredded chicken and biscuits incredibly easy!
Let’s talk about the chicken first
You can use a shredded rotisserie chicken to make it even more simple. Or cook boneless chicken tenderloins in the oven or skillet.
Obviously, rotisserie chicken is the easiest, as it’s already cooked and shredded.
If I don’t have rotisserie chicken I will usually cut up raw chicken tenderloins into bite-sized pieces, season and sautee them in a skillet for the most flavor.
The last option would be to season and toss the boneless tenderloins or breasts in the oven for 20-30 minutes until done is an easy hands-off way to bake the chicken as well.
I have used all three methods for the chicken, depending on what I have on hand, and what I feel like doing. 😉
The creamy cheesy sauce
While the chicken is cooking you will need a small saucepan to make a roux (butter and flour) with chicken stock and a splash of milk. Easy peasy.
Once the sauce and chicken have cooked. You will put the chicken in a 9×13 pan, cover it with the creamy sauce and top it with as much cheese as you like! I use 1-2 cups of either cheddar or cheddar jack.
Bake it twice
Next is a step that took me a few years to get down.
I always had a problem getting the biscuits to bake through, they would often come out of the oven brown on top, and still doughy on the bottom.
Now, I put the chicken and cheese casserole in the oven at 350° for 20 minutes (this gets everything good and hot). Then I take it out of the oven, top with 8 large canned biscuits (I like to use Grands Homestyle Biscuit), sprinkle a little cheese on top of the biscuits if you’d like (I totally forget this step sometimes). Then put the biscuit-topped casserole back in the oven until the biscuits are golden on top (use the time given on the biscuit can).
This a quick comfort food meal to bring the family together on Sunday… Or any day of the week!
Chicken & Cheese Biscuits
- 1.5-2 pounds chicken breasts (cooked and cut up)
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 milk *optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or colby jack cheese)
- 1 can of 8 large refrigerated biscuits (I like to use Pillsbury Grands)
- Place cooked chicken in a greased 9×13 pan.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Simmer butter, salt, pepper, and broth in saucepan.
- When melted and hot, add flour and whisk until smooth.
- If your sauce is a little too thick, you can thin it down with a little milk or broth. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle cheese over sauce.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pan from oven and top chicken and cheese mixture with uncooked biscuits. Feel free to sprinkle biscuits with a little cheese if you want!!
- Place casserole back in oven and bake according to directions on biscuit can, until biscuits are golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
Like this Chicken and Cheese Biscuit Bake Recipe? Pin it!