Potted Chocolate Cheesecake
These may look like darling potted herbs, but these pots of chocolate cheesecake sprout to life when they are topped with ground cookie “dirt” and a sprig of fresh mint!
What a great way to celebrate Mother’s Day, a wedding, a shower or Spring with these cleverly disguised desserts, Potted Chocolate Cheesecake. Spoon no-bake chocolate cheesecake into votive candleholders and serve with wooden “plant marker” spoons.
The original Martha Stewart recipe uses a very rich chocolate pudding, but I decided to use no-bake cheesecake for a little more “grown-up” dessert.
These little desserts may not be ultra-gourmet, but they are super easy, whimsical, and perfectly yummy……….they’ll make your guests smile.
And make Mom happy….. especially because she doesn’t have to cook these herself! Some of the best ideas for Mom gifts are Mother’s Day recipes. Particularly dessert (what woman doesn’t love chocolate?) prepared by the people they love.
Make Mother’s Day really special………she’ll love it even more if you clean up the kitchen afterwards. 🙂
You can always fill these with chocolate mousse or chocolate pudding, if cheesecake is not you thing.
wooden spoons were purchased from Sucre Shop
Glass flower pot votives at Michaels
These may look like darling potted herbs, but these pots of chocolate cheesecake sprout to life when they are topped with ground cookie "dirt" and a sprig of fresh mint!
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 20 chocolate wafer cookies
- mint sprigs for garnish
- Place chocolate chips in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then stir. If necessary, microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Set aside to cool.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl on medium speed of mixer until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well, scraping down the sides. Gradually add melted chocolate, beating on low speed until blended.
- In another bowl add the heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the chocolate cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon cheesecake mixture into eight 4-ounce glasses or glass flowerpot votive candle holders, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top of each. Refrigerate until set, about 1-2 hours.
- Just before serving, pulse cookies in a food processor until finely ground (or place cookies in closed plastic bag and crush using a glass or rolling pin). Top each cheesecake with ground-cookie "dirt," and garnish with a planted mint sprig. Serve chilled.
MAKE IT EASY: you could also use a JELL-O No-Bake cheesecake mix and add the melted chocolate as instructed in the recipe above.