Holiday

How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs

Learn how to cook the perfect hard boiled egg every time.

How to cook the perfect hard boiled egg every time. at TidyMom.net

Today, like many others, we are dyeing our Easter Eggs.

I thought I’d share some of the information I have found on

How to Cook Hard Boil Eggs

So…..let’s get cracking!

Did you know that it is called hard-cooking? That’s right! I’ve always called it hard boiling, but according to the American Egg Board, it’s actually called hard-cooking

Hard-cooked, not hard-boiled.Although the cooking water must come to a full boil in this method, the pan is immediately removed from the heat so that the eggs cook gently in the hot water.This produces tender, not rubbery, eggs and minimizes cracking.

• Set your eggs in a layer in the bottom of a saucepan.
  • Cover with water, 1″ over the eggs.
  • Cook over medium-high heat until boiling, do not over boil
  • Remove from burner and cover, letting eggs stand for 15 minutes (12 minutes for medium eggs, 18 minutes for extra large).
  • Run cold water over the eggs to cool them

Tips for Cooking Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

Banish the greenish ring.This harmless but unsightly discoloration that sometimes forms around hard-cooked yolks results from a reaction between sulfur in the egg white and iron in the yolk.It occurs when eggs have been cooked for too long or at too high a temperature.Our method – cooking eggs in hot, not boiling, water, then cooling immediately – minimizes this.

Very fresh eggs can be difficult to peel.To ensure easily peeled eggs, buy and refrigerate them a week to 10 days in advance of cooking.This brief “breather” allows the eggs time to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.

To peel a hard-cooked egg:Gently tap egg on counter top until shell is finely crackled all over.Roll egg between hands to loosen shell.Starting peeling at large end, holding egg under cold running water to help ease the shell off.

So there you go! If you’d like more information on eggs, check out the American Egg Board

Photo credits

American Egg Board ,  vvoennyy / 123RF Stock Phototycoon751 / 123RF Stock Photo

21 Responses to “How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs”

1. bridget {bake at 350} posted on April 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm (#

Great tips for eggs! We skipped dyeing eggs this year…too many cookies, I guess!

2. Stephenie from Decorating Addiction posted on April 3, 2010 at 3:00 pm (#

I think I have overcooked mine for years! Thanks for the tips.

3. Amy Kinser posted on April 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm (#

Thanks for the tips. Our problem is that we have chickens and get fresh eggs everyday. If I need to hardboil some, they are very hard to peel because they are right from the chicken.

Happy Easter

4. Laura PARING DOWN posted on April 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm (#

I really appreciate these tips! I love hard-cooked eggs!

5. betchacanteatjustone posted on April 3, 2010 at 11:20 pm (#

Thanks for posting the great tips! I cracked my eggs the other day while I was "hard cooking" them. It didn't matter anyways because my 2 year old just wanted to eat them anyways…putting them in egg dye was really confusing for him lol

Happy Easter!

6. Heidi posted on April 3, 2010 at 11:44 pm (#

Need a way to use all your perfectly hard cooked eggs? Here's a recipe that I've perfected over the years for deviled eggs: http://www.heidisfullplate.com/2009/06/deviled-eggs-recipe.html. Enjoy!

7. Lynn posted on April 4, 2010 at 12:23 am (#

Thanks! I always wondered why my shells sometime stuck to the egg when cracking. I just discovered your blog and love it! Thanks!

8. Raina @ The Garden of Yum posted on April 4, 2010 at 8:17 am (#

Great post! I wish I had read it sooner. I was coloring eggs with my brother and his family and we were debating over the best way to cook the eggs. Well when we women were not looking, my brother seeing that the eggs were finished could not figure out how to get hot eggs out of the pan (he is a dentist you think he would know to let them cool). Anyway, he poured the cooked hard-boiled eggs into a strainer. Needless to say he cracked about a dozen. We had a good laugh. Next year I will give him your recipe. Thanks.

9. Jessica Morris posted on April 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm (#

This cracks me up (get it?!?! CRACKS haha. sorry. been round the kiddos too much!)
    Anyways – I have been meaning to do a post on hard boiled eggs because my boys eat SO many of them! It's not unheard of for my 3 year old and almost 2 year old to eat 1 dozen in a day. Crazy.

Anyways, I make sure to run them under cold water for a while and it makes peeling them a breeze.

10. Robin posted on April 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm (#

I have to send this post to my daughter Bethany, she made deviled eggs on Easter and had to do them twice. She said she would NEVER do them again !
    But once again…you make it look EASY!!!
    xoxo

11. Amanda posted on April 13, 2011 at 8:35 am (#

Great tips… I had no idea! Will definitely try this. :)

12. Amy | She Wears Many Hats posted on April 13, 2011 at 8:49 am (#

I always have to catch myself when I say “hard boiled” now instead of “hard cooked.” And yeah, those fresh eggs are a pain to peel. Who would’ve thought? Thanks for the tips.

13. Tracy posted on April 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm (#

Great information! I’ll definitely make sure to follow these tips when I hard cook my eggs for Easter!

14. sweetsugarbelle posted on April 14, 2011 at 8:14 am (#

We love hard boiled, I mean cooked eggs, all but two of us…I even like them soft cooked! Great tips. I can often manage to mess this up out of impatience…one question. Both of my grandmas add vinegar to the water before cooking. Do you know why?

• Maria replied on February 9th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Hi, sorry to intrude, but i believe the reason for the vinegar is that it prevents the water staining the pot, therefore limiting the scrubbing afterwards to have the pot shiny again. My mom always put lemon slices in the water when cooking eggs. =)

15. HeatherChristo posted on February 9, 2012 at 11:19 am (#

This is a brilliant post Cheryl. It seems as though it should be a simple thing, but I think people often over boil their eggs. This will be very useful!

16. susan posted on February 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm (#

Intuitively, I know this, but don’t follow it. Thanks for posting this, Cheryl. I will remember this next time I make eggs!

17. Elise posted on July 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm (#

Thanks I like that post

18. Brenda posted on March 18, 2014 at 12:20 am (#

This is how my Mother taught me and it works every time!

1. Pingback: Making Colored Easter Eggs with Natural Ingredients | What's Cooking With Kids

2. Pingback: Easter Holiday Traditions: Pinterest Round Up - De Su Mama