DIY/Crafts

Easy Fabric Covered Canvas Wall Art

Can you believe I finally have a project for you today?

I recently changed the colors in our bathroom. I bought a new shower curtain, hooks, towels, rugs, but that left me with a problem……the walls.

I needed something for over the towel bar.

This idea first hit me when Becca did it. I did mine a little different, since I was only needing small wall art, I simply bought a two pack of Artist Canvas at Hobby Lobby for $4. But if you want a large piece, I would recommend the way Becca made hers.

easy wall art

I love how they turned out! They were super easy…..and cheap!

What you will need:

• Artist Canvas in the size you prefer (I used 2- 11″x14″)
  • Fabric that you ? (I got 1/2 yard of 2 coordinating fabrics- which was more than enough fabric, but I want to do a few other things with the fabric)
  • Staple gun
  • Picturing-hanging wire and screw set

Let’s get started……..

Fabric Wall Art {1-4}

With any size canvas and your choice of fabric, lay the right side of the canvas on the wrong side of the fabric. Measure your fabric and cut to size.

Fabric Wall Art {5-8}

You will want to be sure to iron your fabric, or you will see creases in your finished piece.
Pull fabric tight and staple several times along two opposite edges. On the ends fold the corners as you would a present, pull up tight and staple.

To hang:
Attach the small screws and picture wire to the back of the frame. (I forgot to buy these, so I have not attached the wire to the back of mine yet)

Step back and admire!

This is an inexpensive way to decorate a wall, and when I get tired of this fabric, I’ll rip it off and start over.
The possibilities are endless, and there are so many amazing fabrics available! This was fun, easy and quick…..I can’t wait to make a large one for another room!

Wouldn’t something like this be amazing?!

picture source: the style files

84 Responses to “Easy Fabric Covered Canvas Wall Art”

1. elizabeth posted on May 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm (#

I love it…art even I could do! YaY!

2. elizabeth posted on May 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm (#

I love it…art even I could do! YaY!

3. Dominika posted on May 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm (#

Fabulous!

4. Dominika posted on May 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm (#

Fabulous!

5. Laura PARING DOWN posted on May 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm (#

Cheryl,

That's great! I'm still working on my master bathroom and have some needs in my hallway.

This could work great!

Thanks,
    Laura

6. Laura PARING DOWN posted on May 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm (#

Cheryl,

This could work great!

Thanks,
    Laura

7. Victoria (magoosmom) posted on May 2, 2010 at 9:00 pm (#

Love this idea! I have thought about painting some art for my house since I have unusual color schemes but this is even easier! Going to bookmark!

8. Victoria (magoosmom) posted on May 2, 2010 at 9:00 pm (#

9. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} posted on May 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm (#

Very nice!! Such a great (and inexpensive) idea! Love your colors, too.

10. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} posted on May 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm (#

Very nice!! Such a great (and inexpensive) idea! Love your colors, too.

11. CRAZYMOM posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm (#

This is so great! I just got some new fabric and I was hoping to try putting it on canvas for MY bathroom re-do. (weird huh). Thanks for the tut. Can't wait to get started!!

12. CRAZYMOM posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm (#

13. heidi @ wonder woman wannabe posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm (#

Looks great to me! One could even do this type of treatment around (or inside of) regular photo frame and get the same result I'd bet!

Thanks for sharing!

14. heidi @ wonder woman wannabe posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm (#

Thanks for sharing!

15. Sandy@Life Began In A Garden posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm (#

Looks great, I love when they make coordinating fabric so I don't have to figure out what goes with what!

16. Sandy@Life Began In A Garden posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm (#

17. Eunice Beshears posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:17 am (#

Hello I like your blog. I fanned you on Facebook via your blog. How do you get an application like that installed to your blog? I would appreciate you sharing. My email is eunice@awakenlacey.com .

Thanks.

18. Eunice Beshears posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:17 am (#

Thanks.

19. Jenny posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:19 am (#

Great idea! I love the fabrics you picked too.

20. Jenny posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:19 am (#

Great idea! I love the fabrics you picked too.

21. Michelle @ Sweet Something posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:02 am (#

Great job! Love your fabric selection too!

22. Michelle @ Sweet Something posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:02 am (#

Great job! Love your fabric selection too!

23. Paula posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:04 am (#

So…this is why you were looking for the staples! I love what you did, the fabrics you chose and the way you displayed your new artwork!

24. Paula posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:04 am (#

25. Chris posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:19 am (#

Great idea. I needed some inspiration as we pull together the kids' bathroom. Thanks!

26. Chris posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:19 am (#

27. ClassiclyAmber posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:20 am (#

I really like it! It's a super easy way to put up nifty artwork~! <3 Great job! It looks nice in your bathroom. I love those colors!

28. ClassiclyAmber posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:20 am (#

29. Kelly at I Dream of Decor posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:40 am (#

Love this idea! I need to do these in the same space in my bathroom, thanks so much!

30. Kelly at I Dream of Decor posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:40 am (#

31. Amanda posted on May 3, 2010 at 11:50 am (#

Really neat and really simple – something even a craft-impaired person like me could do! LOL I think I will do this for my daughter's room this summer.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

32. Amanda posted on May 3, 2010 at 11:50 am (#

Thanks for sharing it with us.

33. Leslie, the Home Maker posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm (#

Beautiful, easy and inexpensive!
    This is my cup of tea!
    I have a few canvases that have been hanging around my craft closet waiting for me to beautify them- this is the solution!
    Thanks!
    —Hmmmm…now where to put them?
    Blessings to you as you make your home!

34. Leslie, the Home Maker posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm (#

Beautiful, easy and inexpensive!
    This is my cup of tea!
    Thanks!
    —Hmmmm…now where to put them?
    Blessings to you as you make your home!

35. Vicky posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm (#

i love it! I need something to put up in my kitchen…something semi-permanent…until I make up my mind, I am going to do a few of these! Thanks!

Vicky

36. Vicky posted on May 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm (#

Vicky

37. Katie posted on May 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm (#

Great idea!!

38. Katie posted on May 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm (#

Great idea!!

39. Pam Ponder posted on May 3, 2010 at 2:42 pm (#

I really like it and think I could pull it off thanks

40. Pam Ponder posted on May 3, 2010 at 2:42 pm (#

I really like it and think I could pull it off thanks

41. Amy posted on May 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm (#

I cannot believe this post!! I was literally just at the fabric store and found some fabric that I love…and was wondering how I could frame it. You just read my mind!!

42. Amy posted on May 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm (#

43. Atticmag posted on May 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm (#

Years ago Marimekko did "stretched fabrics" like that. Lots bang for the buck. Jane F

44. Atticmag posted on May 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm (#

45. Leslie posted on May 3, 2010 at 5:06 pm (#

How clever is that! I love fabric. I am now on my way to vote for you. I found you through Skip to my lou!

46. Leslie posted on May 3, 2010 at 5:06 pm (#

47. The DIY Show Off posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm (#

It's such a great inexpensive DIY project that makes a statement. I love it! Great tutorial too! Thanks for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade. ;)

Roeshel

48. The DIY Show Off posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm (#

Roeshel

49. Amanda @ Serenity Now posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm (#

They look great, Cheryl!! Love the colors and patterns. :)

50. Amanda @ Serenity Now posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm (#

They look great, Cheryl!! Love the colors and patterns. :)

1. Pingback: Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Jamtin

3. Pingback: Kate

4. Pingback: Alessandra Rigazzo

5. Pingback: DIYs Around the House « Grace in Progress

6. Pingback: Decorating Inspiration: “The Fabric of Our Lives”

7. Pingback: Dessert Tables, Quirky Ideas To Replicate – Part 1 Backdrops | HitchKitsch

8. Pingback: Fabric Wrapped Canvas Panels | She's Not So Crafty