Tiramisu Brownies Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This decadent recipe for Tiramisu Brownies combines two beloved desserts into one unforgettable treat. Chocolatey brownies form the base while coffee-soaked ladyfingers and delectable mascarpone cheese rest on top giving you the best of both worlds.
If you like Italian dishes as much as we do, I suggest serving Antipasto Skewers, Easy Bacon Carbonara, a Simple Italian Salad, No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread and Tiramisu Brownies for an Italian-inspired meal.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
Table of Contents
Why We Love Decadent Tiramisu Brownies
Chocolatey goodness of a really good brownie? Check. Light and airy ladyfingers soaked in coffee with a splash of spiced rum? Check! Creamy mascarpone cheese and delicious raspberry preserves? Double check! You simply can’t go wrong with this modern take on two classic recipes.
From the bottom up, you find a soft brownie layer, that has been topped, in true Tiramisu fashion, with ladyfingers soaked in dark roast coffee (or espresso) and spiced rum. To add some soft creaminess is a layer of light and fluffy mascarpone filling. Finishing things off with a little more brownie swirled with raspberry preserves. Resulting in soft delicious, not overly rich Tiramisu Brownies.
What Is Tiramisu
Tiramisu is an iconic Italian delicacy. The elegant rich dessert has 2 main layers: boozy coffee-soaked ladyfingers and a slightly tangy mascarpone cream layer.
Traditionally, tiramisu is made with Marsala wine in the filling, but you can find tiramisu recipes made with brandy, rum, Kahlua or Irish cream. You can use anything you like!
Each bite of tiramisu tastes like the perfect mix of coffee, cream, and chocolate. It’s hard to resist!
What Are Ladyfingers
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Store-bought ladyfingers, known in Italy as Savoiardi are a plain, crunchy light cookie or biscuit that is most often used to make tiramisu and trifles. These crisp “finger-shaped” cookies are perfect for soaking up all kinds of liquids and flavors, turning them into a cake-like texture.
On the other hand, freshly baked homemade ladyfingers are actually quite soft and sponge-like in the center and slightly crisp on the outside. They make the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee, but not ideal for tiramisu unless you want to leave them out for a day or two to dry out and become stale.
If you can’t find them in the cookie section of your local grocery store, try the pasta aisle. If you can’t find them locally, you can get them on Amazon.
Ingredients for Decadent Tiramisu Brownies
Tiramisu may seem like an elegant and daunting dessert, but it’s easier than you may think. For the brownies, you can make them from scratch, or save yourself some time and use a box mix!
- brownie mix + ingredients listed on the box (or favorite brownie recipe) – either way you go, make sure you have enough batter for a 9×13 pan. (look for family-size if using a box mix).
- ladyfingers – you want to use commercially made ladyfingers for tiramisu brownies. You can find them at most grocery stores.
- dark roast coffee – this adds the signature coffee flavor to tiramisu
- spiced rum – rum extract can be substituted for traditional spiced rum.
- mascarpone cheese – an Italian soft cheese made from cream and resembling cream cheese, it’s slightly sweet, rich, and buttery. Find it in the cheese section of most grocery stores.
- cream cheese – Make sure both the mascarpone cheese and cream cheese reach room temperature before preparing this recipe to ensure the smoothest texture.
- sugar – classic white sugar is best for this recipe.
- egg whites – The egg whites are important to act as a leavening agent. They also help keep the light and airy texture of tiramisu that pairs perfectly with the heavier brownie base.
- vanilla extract – Two teaspoons will add the perfect amount of sweet flavor!
- raspberry preserves – Adding in the raspberry preserves provides an element of sweet, fruity flavor that can’t be beat.
How To Make These Dreamy Tiramisu Brownies
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)
These tiramisu brownies come together in a flash.
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350°F. While that’s heating up, line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper. Coat it lightly with cooking spray as well.
Step Two: Prepare brownie batter according to box or recipe. Set aside one cup of brownie batter, then pour the remaining batter into your prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
Step Three: Place a layer of ladyfingers over the brownie batter. Push them down slightly. Brush the coffee and rum over the ladyfingers until they are saturated.
TIP – You may want to alternate brushing and pouring the mixture. I found it helped when coating the ladyfingers.
Step Four: Combine the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla extract until well combined and smooth in texture. Evenly spread the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers.
Step Five: Place spoonfuls of the reserved brownie batter and raspberry preserves over the creamy filling. Swirl lightly with a knife.
Step Six: Pop the baking pan in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center is almost set and the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Step Seven: This step will be difficult, as you’ll want to dig in right away. However, it’s important to let the dessert cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving! If you chose to line your pan with parchment paper, simply lift them out and place them on a cutting board to slice.
Now grab a glass of milk and enjoy your new favorite dessert!
Decadent Tiramisu Brownie Tips
Make sure both the mascarpone cheese and the cream cheese are at room temperature! The texture of the mixture will turn out much smoother if the ingredients are not fresh from the fridge.
If dark roast coffee isn’t available you have a few options: just brew the coffee stronger than you normally would (increase the grounds to water ratio), brew espresso or purchase brewed espresso or coffee at a coffee shop. Sensitive to caffeine? use decaf coffee.
Be careful when separating the egg whites from the yolks. If an egg yolk makes it into your egg whites, they won’t whip properly and will make the cheese mixture heavier.
Don’t overmix your brownie batter! You don’t want to end up with tough brownies.
If you prefer a more cakey brownie, add an extra egg to the mix!
Due to the mascarpone and cream cheese, these brownies should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
All the delicious flavors of tiramisu come together with a brownie for a delicious decadent Tiramisu Brownies dessert. This recipe will make you feel like you’ve jetted off to Italy while keeping you cozy and comfortable right at home!
Like This Tiramisu Brownie Recipe? Pin It!
Follow Along On Social Media
If you’re looking for even more inspiration check out the fun little group I created on Facebook, I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally posted in May 21013. UPDATED APRIL 2021. We spiffed up this post with more info and better pictures! No changes to the original recipe.
All the delicious flavors of tiramisu come together with a brownie for a delicious decadent Tiramisu Brownies dessert
- 1 batch prepared brownie batter* (family size box if using a mix- I use Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix)
- eggs, water and oil listed on the brownie box (or what's needed for brownie recipe)
- 1 package ladyfingers
- 1 cup brewed dark roast coffee
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum (or 1 teaspoon rum extract)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3-1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper (this step is only needed if you want to lift the baked brownies out of the pan to cut), coat lightly with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl prepare brownie mix/recipe according to box/recipe directions.
- Set aside one cup of brownie batter, then pour reaming batter into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Lay the ladyfingers upside down on top of the brownie batter, and push down slightly. Combine brewed coffee with rum. Using a pastry brush, carefully brush the coffee and rum mixture over the ladyfingers until they are saturated (you can carefully pour and brush).
- In a large mixing bowl and an electric mixer, combine the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla. Mix on medium until well combined and smooth (about 2-3 minutes).
- Spread cheese topping over ladyfingers.
- Place spoonfuls of reserved brownie batter and raspberry preserves over creamy filling, Use a knife to swirl lightly into the cream filling.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center is almost set and brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely in the pan before slicing. If you lined your pan with parchment, simply lift them out and place on a cutting board to slice.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
* You can make the brownie batter from scratch, just make sure the recipe makes enough for a 9x13 pan.
** if you don't have dark roast coffee, you can just brew the coffee strong (more grounds to water ratio)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.