Christmas Snack: Reindeer Trail Mix
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This tasty Christmas Snack Mix is perfect for the holidays! A spin on the classic Chex party mix this treat is filled with cinnamon cereal, chocolate-covered pretzels, holiday M&M’s, cranberries and so much more. No baking required.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
This reindeer trail mix is a delightful take on the traditional Chex Party Mix, and it’s a doozy! Cinnamon, butterscotch, vanilla, chocolate, tart cranberries, and the satisfying crunch of pretzels and nuts will make any party-goer happy!
If you enjoy more of a candy type of trail mix – something that is both salty and sweet – then this Christmas Snack Mix is a perfect choice for the holidays! Super easy to make, can you say one bowl?
You’ll like it so much you will be determined to give it away, so I’ve provided a whole list of fun and creative ways to package for favors or gifts. Anything goes with this fun Christmas trail mix recipe.
You can personalize this Christmas trail mix recipe for friends and family or even social gatherings if you want to tweak the ingredient list. Whether you prefer your holiday snack mix spicey with a bit of sizzle, salty and savory, death by chocolate, or even a fruit and health-nut style, the options are as limitless as your imagination!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Christmas Trail Mix Recipe
- Reindeer Chex mix makes a great gift idea for friends, neighbors, teachers, and goodie bags for party favors and holiday visitors.
- Easy to make and adjust to personal preferences for your family or as gifting treats.
- Easy to find ingredients and easily assembled on the fly.
- A fun and exciting project for kids to assemble for their school holiday parties, Sunday school, scout troops, or other groups
- There are dozens of options to present holiday snack mixes, from party favor boxes to Christmas tins to gift-sized stockings. So Cute!
Equipment Needed To Make Reindeer Trail Mix
Food Grade Plastic Gloves
Grab These Ingredients For A Christmas Snack Mix
- Cinnamon Chex Cereal – is a Christmas party mix staple, slightly sweet cinnamon puffed squares for a bit of crunch and a lot of tradition!
- Cheez-Its – are tasty little toasted crackers that accent with a savory touch.
- Christmas M&M Candies – for a satisfying bite with a chocolatey center.
- Vanilla Cupcake Goldfish (or any mini-size cookies) – adds the flavor of Christmas cake to your reindeer mix and solid crunch factor.
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzels – the ultimate in savory, salty, sweetness where the “can’t stop munching” will get you!
- Mini marshmallows – puffy, soft, and chewy with just a hint of vanilla for another treat texture.
- Dried cranberries – tart, slightly acidic dried fruit morsels add brightness and balance the sweet factor.
- Chocolate Covered Cranberries – un, duh, take the above description and surround with chocolate; it’s a no-fail for sure!
- Assorted Nuts (I used cashews, peanuts, and candied almonds) – always satisfying to crunch and a flavor. Omit the nuts if there is a nut allergy.
- Butterscotch chips – smooth, creamy, caramelized sugar and browned butter is really the sneaky secret, surprise taste/flavor star of this Christmas snack mix show.
How To Make A Great Christmas Snack Mix
(full printable recipe at the end of this post)
Measure out your ingredients and place them in a large bowl. Using clean hands and/or food-grade plastic gloves gently combine everything by folding over handfuls of the reindeer trail mix.
Portion into decorative bowls for guests, or package up with the festive holiday materials of your choice. Easy peasy!
This “recipe” is a guideline. You can swap out items for other favorites and use any quantity you want of each item. When I make a batch of this holiday snack mix, I just eyeball quantities. Don’t feel that you have to measure.
Marshmallows don’t stay fresh for long. I would only suggest using marshmallows if you plan on serving/eating the snack mix within a day or two. When the marshmallows are closed up in a bag or container, they start working to absorb moisture from the other items in the mix and they turn hard and chewy. You can always leave the marshmallows out and just toss some in when serving.
When stored in an airtight container, this homemade Christmas snack mix recipe (without the marshmallows) should keep 4-6 weeks. Be extra mindful to fully seal the container each time it’s opened.
Make Christmas Snack Mix Your Way!
Here are a few suggestions of alternate ingredients you might want to try in your snack mix.
Sizzle & Spice Ideas:
- Red Hots
- Chili Roasted Pistachios
- Cheez-It Tobasco
- Siracha Almonds
- Hot Tamales
- Wasabi Peas
- Dark Covered Expresso Beans
- Post S’Mores Cereal
- Dark Chocolate Banana Bites
- Andes Creme de Menthe Chips
Savory Add ins:
- Cheez-It Duos (Jalapeno & Cheddar Jack)
- CornNuts (Ranch, Plain, or BBQ Flavors)
- Japanese Rice Crackers
- Dry Roasted Peanuts
Fruit for Thought:
- Coconut Chips
- Dehydrated Strawberries
- Banana Chips
- Crystallized Ginger
- Golden Raisins
Supplies For Fun & Creative Gifting Ideas
Curling Ribbon – works to fasten plastic favor bags or tie off the cellophane wrapping.
Clear or Holiday Themed Cellophane – creates a more festive look than cling wrap over decorative mini loaf pans or if you fill a large mug with the Christmas mix.
Bows – add a festive look to Christmas tins or other decorative boxes that don’t require cellophane wrap.
Paper Doilies – are a nice touch to line a box or decorative tin.
Decorative Boxes – an unbelievable selection of adorable gift boxes and clear plastic boxes would be great too. Check Amazon or Party City.
Christmas Mugs – a plastic favor bag filled with Christmas snack mix inside a holiday mug can’t go wrong.
Holiday To-Go Cups – if you have a Dollar Tree near you, you can usually find a plethora of reusable plastic holiday “to-go” travel cups.
Foil Cupcake Holders – works well for smaller favors and fits nicely inside a plastic favor bag tied off with a curling ribbon.
Holiday Favor Bags – it never hurts to have a reserve of these around. This time of year, it’s easy to find Christmas-themed.
Mini Loaf Pan/Tins – serve many functions during the holiday season and present nicely with a paper doily and decorative cellophane tied off with ribbon.
Christmas Tins – no time for a bunch of steps for extra touches? Cute little Christmas tins (again with the paper doily), filled, closed, topped with a bow, viola~!
“Wrapping Up” Christmas Snack: Reindeer Trail Mix
There’s no doubt you will enjoy this Christmas snack mix recipe for any holiday get-together. This delicious holiday reindeer trail mix is so perfectly balanced that guests will know it is the magical fodder for Santa’s four-legged helpers!
Like This Christmas Snack Mix Recipe? Pin It!!
This tasty CHRISTMAS SNACK MIX is perfect for the holidays! A spin on the classic Chex party mix this treat is filled with cinnamon cereal, chocolate-covered pretzels, holiday M&M’s, cranberries and so much more. Great for gifting too!
- 1 cups Cinnamon Chex cereal
- 1 cup Cheez-It
- 1 cup Christmas M&M candies
- 1 cup vanilla cupcake Goldfish (or any mini-size cookies)
- 1 cups white chocolate covered pretzels
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chocoalte covered cranberries
- 1 cup assorted nuts (I used cashews, peanuts and candied almonds)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Set out in bowls to serve at any gathering, or place in cellophane bags for gifting.
- I like to use my hands to mix.
- Customize by replacing any item with a snack of your choice, or change the quantity you prefer in your snack mix.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 297mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used.
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.