White Bean Cheddar Melt | I’m Lovin’ It
The addition of a creamy white bean spread, tomatoes and spinach kicks up a simple grilled cheese sandwich into something special, White Bean Cheddar Melt.
The other day I was craving a hot delicious sandwich for lunch and thought I’d make a grilled cheese…..but that seemed a little boring, when I remembered seeing a recipe for White Bean Cheddar Melt on the Bush’s Beans website.
Lucky me, I had some Bush’s Great Northern Beans ( also available in Reduced Sodium) in the pantry and decided the addition of tomato and spinach would surely turn this little vegetarian sandwich into a gourmet grilled cheese.
This isn’t your ordinary grilled cheese sandwich. It’s kicked up a notch with a white bean spread before being filled with cheddar cheese. Then, of course, grilled on the stovetop for just a couple of minutes to get that cheese nice and melty. You could stop there…..that’s how my husband wanted to eat his (he’s a simple man), but I quickly opened my hot buttery toasted sandwich and topped it with fresh spinach and a few slices of tomato!
Oh MY WORD! This sandwich was a little messy (the best food usually is) and was even better than I expected! It’s become one of my favorite’s for lunch – grilled cheese perfected. Next time I think I’ll try it with smoked provolone and a bowl of French Onion Soup or Roasted Tomato Soup. That my friends, is a satisfying meatless meal you can count on any day of the week.
What’s your favorite way to eat grilled cheese?
The addition of a creamy white bean spread, tomatoes and spinach kicks up a simple grilled cheese sandwich into something special
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices your favorite bread
- 1 (15.8 ounce) can BUSH’S® Great Northern Beans, drained
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- Brush butter on outer side of each slice of bread.
- Add half of the beans to a bowl and mash gently with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Stir in remaining whole beans. Add in the mayonnaise, celery and salt; mix together.
- Spread evenly on the inner side of 4 slices of bread.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese and top with remaining slices of bread, buttered side facing up.
- Using a skillet, grill on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and place on cutting board; carefully pull sandwiches open and layer with spinach and tomato slices.
- Cut and serve.
recipe slightly adapted from Bush's Beans
I’m Lovin’…….White Bean Cheddar Melt
Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://TidyMom.net
Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!
*Don’t forget to come back over the weekend for the I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up post……where I feature a few of the great links!!
What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here
Disclaimer: I grew up in a house that used Bush’s Beans. I am now fortunate to have an ongoing relationship with them as a brand ambassador. This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans, but as always, all opinions are my own.