Recipes

Salted Caramel Cupcakes for a Virtual Baby Shower

These caramel cupcakes are topped with a rich salted dulce de leche caramel frosting and happen to be the perfect virtual baby shower treat for my blogging  friend Jenny of Picky Palate.

Salted Caramel Cupcakes at  TidyMom.net

There seems to be something running in the blogging water these days, when you consider all the pregnant bellies showing up on blogs, facebook and at events.

Today my friends and I are throwing a surprise virtual shower for Jenny, the creative face behind the Picky Palate a blog full of fun kitchen creations!   Jenny is a wife and mom of two little boys, with number three expected to arrive in September!  Not only has she been cooking up another picky palate to feed, but Jenny has also just finished her very first cookbook, The Picky Palate Cookbook with Wiley Publishing that will be available October 22nd 2012.  What an exciting year for her!!

We all can’t get together with Jenny in person, but we can all share our well wishes and excitement for her and her family by showering her with our virtual sweets, treats and more!

Salted Caramel Cupcake recipe TidyMom.net

Earlier last month I visited Sprinkles cupcake shop in New York City with my daughters.  As soon as I opened the door and took in the sweet aroma, I knew I wanted the salted caramel cupcake.  I’ve been dreaming about the wonderful thick, creamy buttery caramel frosting every since, and knew I would need to try and recreate that cupcake at home.  What better time than a virtual baby shower!  I think Jenny would LOVE these as much as we did!

I started with a Duncan Hines Caramel Cake Mix and doctored it up just a bit.  Still using 3 eggs like the box calls for, but I then  used melted butter instead of oil, and only one cup of liquid, using 1/2 cup Coffee-Mate Caramel Macchiato liquid creamer and 1/2 cup water. {full recipe below}

Caramel Cupcakes at TidyMom.net

This will yield a nice thick batter, enough for 24 regular size cupcakes and 12 mini cupcakes.

The real magic happens with the frosting!  I used Nestle la lechera dulce de leche caramel to make a caramel cream cheese frosting!  If you can’t get a hold of the Dulce de Leche, I’m sure caramel ice cream topping would work well too.

Caramel Cupcake recipe at TidyMom.net

With the left over dulce de leche, I drizzled a little over the top of the frosting then a light sprinkling of fleur de sel that I picked up at The Meadow Shop in New York City!  A beautiful and unexpected shop that I fell in love with that specializes in artisan salt and gourmet chocolate and more! A must stop if you ever find your self in NYC’s West Village!

Salted Caramel Cupcakes at TidyMom.net

I wish I could give you  a scratch and sniff here!  Even sitting on my table 2 days later, you could just smell the creamy, buttery caramel as you walked by.  These were, dare I say, nearly as good as what we had at Sprinkles.  Although, I’m not comparing them side by side, but they were definitely every bit as dreamy as I had envisioned!

Salted Caramel Cupcake recipe at TidyMom.net

There you go! One seriously sensational cupcake! For one seriously sensational blogger and her new baby!

I have to tell you though, my husband wasn’t a fan of the salt, so if you aren’t either, just leave the salt off the top…..but promise me, you will try it on just one!  Be very light, a little fleur de sel goes a long way!

Congrats to your family, Jenny! There are a lot of incredible moments ahead for you.

Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Yield: 24 regular size cupcakes + 12 mini cupcakes

Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Ingredients

Instructions

For Caramel Cupcakes
  1. Heat oven to 350° and line cupcake pans with cupcake papers.
  2. In a large bowl, using electric mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, butter, cream and water for 1 minute on low. Scrap sides, then mix on high for 1 minute.
  3. Divide batter evenly between cupcake wells and gently shake to smooth batter. Bake 18-20 minutes (10 minutes for mini cupcakes) or until toothpick inserted into the center cupcakes comes out clean.
  4. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
  5. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen in a covered container for 1-2 weeks.
  6. For Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
  7. Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.
  8. Add the caramel and mix until fully incorporated.
  9. Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and blend on low speed until combined and desired consistency (you want your frosting pretty thick).
  10. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.(about 1 minute)
  11. Pipe caramel frosting on top of cupcakes with an extra large round pastry tip
  12. Drizzle frosting with caramel
  13. Lightly garnish with fleur de sel

© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

Jenny’s Virtual Baby Shower Tour

Amanda: i am baker Special Cake for a “Picky Palate” target=”_blank”

Amanda: Kevin and Amanda Cinnamon Blueberry Biscoff Breakfast Cookies

Michelle: Brown Eyed BakeShrimp Nacho Bites

Naomi: Bakers RoyaleChocolate and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Trifles

Recipe BoyChocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Oreos

Robyn: Add a Pinch Blue Velvet Cake

Shaina: Food For My Family Ginger Plum Preserves

Shelly: Cookies and CupsOreo Pop Baby Rattles

Teresa: Blooming On Bainbridge Pom Pom Cupcakes ~ Coming Soon!

I'm linking up with these parties.......please visit them! Get Your Craft on , Weekend Wrap Up Party, Pity Party

116 Responses to “Salted Caramel Cupcakes for a Virtual Baby Shower”

1. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 20, 2012 at 6:25 am (#

What a sweet surprise for Jenny! These cupcakes and sure to make anyone happy! Great job Cheryl!

2. shelly (cookies and cups) posted on August 20, 2012 at 6:35 am (#

Well, these look completely amazing..AND I made a salted caramel cupcake that I was going to post this week! I love the way you did yours, and the pictures are gorgeous!

• TidyMom replied on August 20th, 2012 at 7:14 am

oooh, I can’t wait to see yours too Shelly!!!

• Candy replied on August 20th, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Ran out to buy all the ingredients this morning because my son’s birthday is coming up and I thought they’d be perfect…turns out I have to order the Duncan Hines Caramel Cake Mix online; it’s not available in stores here in San Diego. Anyone else having trouble locating this?

3. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on August 20, 2012 at 6:49 am (#

yay for babies and yay for cupcakes!

4. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on August 20, 2012 at 6:50 am (#

Congratulations Jenny! I’m completely love-sick over anything “salted caramel” so thanks for this! :)

5. Jeanette posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:18 am (#

What a fun event – congrats to Jennie on her growing family and her upcoming cookbook! What a treat – salted caramel – I’m sure Jennie would love this!

6. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:24 am (#

Salted caramel is one of my very favorite and these look heavenly, Cheryl. I’m drooling!

7. Laura @FoodSnobSTL posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:31 am (#

Your pictures are gorgeous!

8. Marian (Sweetopia) posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:31 am (#

Oh these look completely amazing, Cheryl! I need to make them!

9. Jenny Flake posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:34 am (#

How incredibly delicious do these look Cheryl! Love all you sweet girls! Thanks for making my day! xoxo

10. Danijela@Coffee Stylish posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:34 am (#

I really enjoyed this post. The recipe is very nice and I am sure Jenny will love this. Such a beautifiul event. :)

11. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:43 am (#

Y’all are so sweet for putting this together. I’m sure she just loved all of this (I mean… who wouldn’t want those decadent salted caramel cupcakes!!! They look fab!)

12. Raquel posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:09 am (#

Oh I must make those salted caramel cupcakes! They look delicious!

13. katie posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:27 am (#

I’m a sucker for salted caramel! These look heavenly and perfect for Jenny’s baby shower!

14. Maria posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:27 am (#

Oh how I wish this wasn’t a virtual shower. I NEED a cupcake:) Gorgeous!

15. Lauren posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:27 am (#

Wow Cheryl! These look beyond amazing.

16. Cookbook Queen posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:45 am (#

I would LOVE a dozen of these to stuff my face with this morning!!

17. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:47 am (#

Salted caramel is my weakness in life. I think I could eat that topping by the spoonful!

18. Kathia posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:02 am (#

Yes, yes and yes!!! they look delicious, feeling like licking the screen right now.

19. Angie @ Big Bear's Wife posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:16 am (#

awww look at that little ity bity one! Love these

20. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:20 am (#

Cheryl – that sauce —mmmm, I am drooling! I love caramel sauce and although I love cupcakes and cake, it’s the sauce that just steals my heart in this recipe :) YUM!

21. Bev @ Bev Cooks posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:23 am (#

Holy crap. Will you feed me, um, all of this?

22. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:38 am (#

Congratulations to Jenny! These look divine!

23. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:43 am (#

yep…i’m drooling:)

24. marla posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:44 am (#

Such DELISH looking cupcakes Cheryl ~ so glad you could join in on all the FUN today :)

25. bridget {bake at 350} posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:44 am (#

Love, love, love the pictures, Cheryl! So pretty! You really take the time to make your cupcakes look special, not like some people (ok, me) who slap them on a cake stand and call it a day.

I had a salted caramel cupcake in Seattle that was AMAZING and have been wanting to recreate it. Maybe I’ll just make yours instead. ;)

26. invitation consultants posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 am (#

these look delicious! i love the ‘edits’ to the boxed mix!

27. nest of posies posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:50 am (#

you’re killing me, cheryl!

these look amazing! holy moly.

xo

28. Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth posted on August 20, 2012 at 10:06 am (#

I have a can of dulce de leche in my pantry and I love the idea of incorporating it into a salted caramel frosting! Thanks for the inspiration!

29. Sanjeeta KK posted on August 20, 2012 at 10:20 am (#

So cute…love that tiny cupcake, the mess and everything about this post!

30. Lori @ RecipeGirl posted on August 20, 2012 at 10:25 am (#

These are incredible!!! I LOVE this flavor in ice cream too. Perfect for our sweet Jenny!

31. Amanda posted on August 20, 2012 at 10:47 am (#

Oh my gosh girl!! These photos are so,so gorgeous!! Those cupcakes are a work of art!! :) I am pinning these my Must Make ASAP board. And I LOVE that you used flavored coffee creamer for the liquid in the cupcakes!! What a great idea, I am SO doing that for my next cake!! :) xoxo

32. Tasha @ Thatssoyummy posted on August 20, 2012 at 11:06 am (#

I just wanted to rub my face in those cupcakes… Looks absolutely DELISH!!!!!

33. naomi posted on August 20, 2012 at 11:28 am (#

Oh, you had me at salted caramel! You know I’m crazy for that stuff. The cupcakes and pics look fab.

34. JulieD posted on August 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm (#

I love the flavor combo. The cupcakes look great!

35. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale posted on August 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm (#

Cheryl, I’m DROOLING.
    Those cupcakes look amazing!!!

36. Pat posted on August 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm (#

MUST. TRY! They look delish and I know they are. Your photos are always just gorgeous! I always use your standard cup cake recipe….now this one will be a favorite too. Thanks so much for sharing!

Pat

37. Kathy - Panini Happy posted on August 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm (#

I’ll bet these tasted pretty amazing!

38. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm (#

Uhhhh omg, I need these. That picture with the caramel being drizzled over the cupcake? I. Die. Amazing, Cheryl!

39. Amanda posted on August 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm (#

These look SO good!! I love the salted caramel!

40. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on August 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm (#

Ooooh, my kind of cupcake – lots of drizzle! Yum!

41. Lynna posted on August 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm (#

omg, the salty caramel is my favorite cupcake from Sprinkles! :D

42. leslie posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm (#

Swoon…dulce de leche…I could eat the stuff by the spoonful.

43. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm (#

Sea salt and caramel are a glorious combo. I think my mouth is pretty much drooling on my keyboard. I’ll have to make these for my fiance because he LOVES caramel.

44. Kristen posted on August 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm (#

I adore salted caramel. These look amazing!

45. teresa posted on August 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm (#

Cheryl these look so yummy!
    Love that special salt.
    Also love it that you used Caramel Creamer in the cake batter.
    Your pictures are amazing!
    xo

46. Lisa | With Style and Grace posted on August 21, 2012 at 1:28 am (#

Mmm… salted caramel, sounds like perfection, especially for miss Jenny!

47. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking posted on August 21, 2012 at 5:03 am (#

Mmmm…I’m drooling looking at this picture. These look amazing!

48. Ali | Gimme Some Oven posted on August 21, 2012 at 8:33 am (#

These look AMAZING, Cheryl! Love all things salted caramel. And a happy baby shower to Jenny!! :)

49. MichelleH posted on August 21, 2012 at 8:40 am (#

Oh these look amazing!

50. Kathie posted on August 21, 2012 at 8:41 am (#

These look so good, I can almost smell the caramel as you’re dripping it from the spoon to the cupcake! Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Oreo Pop Baby Rattles

2. Pingback: Baby Shower Cookie Favors | Sweetopia

3. Pingback: S’mores Banana Bread | Picky Palate

4. Pingback: Homemade Animal Crackers and a Surprise Baby Shower!!

5. Pingback: Mixed Berry Mint Slushies Recipe | the little kitchen

6. Pingback: Blueberry Mint Agua Fresca Recipe | Healthy Fruit Punch on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

7. Pingback: Blackberry Buttermilk Cake Recipe

8. Pingback: Shrimp Nacho Bites

9. Pingback: Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Oreos | RecipeBoy

10. Pingback: Oreo and Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars | Recipe Girl

11. Pingback: Cinnamon Blueberry Biscoff Breakfast Cookies | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes

12. Pingback: Ginger Plum Preserves and Easy Appetizers | Food for My Family

13. Pingback: Cindy-Campbell.com » Blog Archive » Crashing a Virtral Baby Shower

14. Pingback: Recipe: Baby Oreo Ice Cream Pies | Panini Happy®

15. Pingback: salted caramel cupcakes. | Cooking Pics

16. Pingback: Mid-Week Pinspiration: {Salted Caramel Cupcakes} « Life's a bash!

17. Pingback: Back to School - Todays Creative Blog

18. Pingback: Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Trifles | Bakers Royale

19. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cupcakes

20. Pingback: Herbst um die Ecke | Julie Fahrenheit

21. Pingback: Recipe: Salted Caramel Cupcakes | elizababble

22. Pingback: Found it on Pinterest-Sort of-Butterscotch Caramel Cupcakes | Explore

23. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cupcakes « Sugar -N- Spice Makes Everything Nice!

24. Pingback: Favorite Recipes | TidyMom

25. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cupcakes | Cupcake Lust Blog

26. Pingback: Lauren's Latest » Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes

27. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cupcakes « Eight Legs…Two People

28. Pingback: Six of the best cupcake recipes | Skip To My Lou

29. Pingback: Busy Being Jennifer | 30+ Salted Caramel Desserts

30. Pingback: Cookies and Cups Salted Caramel Cupcakes

31. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cupcakes for a Virtual Baby Shower | Cupcake Recipes

32. Pingback: Friday favourites and funnies | Sprouts n Squats