Family

I’m Lovin It: Artisan Bread {in five minutes a day}

I’ve found a way to make delicious homemade Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François.

artisan bread in 5 minutes a day

I think it’s time I tell you……….

My husband has an addiction.

An addiction to bread.  Not just any bread, but good homemade bread.  And I’ve never been good about making it for him.

I got rid of my bread machine a few years ago, because it was just too big and was taking up valuable space, for how little I used it.  I would occasionally buy the loaves you find in the freezer section of your grocery store, that you just put in a pan to rise then bake.  Those are good, but it’s just not the same as making your own.

Yeast can be intimidating.  It’s particular.  It usually involves kneading, rising, fussing, and time!  You have to worry about temperature and humidity.  All very different than my affair with sugar.  Sugar is easy going and rarely lets me down.  Yeast, on the other hand, is usually a little “high maintenance for me”.  I could live with the fact that would never own title of “bread maker”.

So for years, I rarely fed my husband’s addiction.  Probably for the best, really.  I saved his waistline and my sanity.  (where’s my cape for THAT ?)

Naturally, I was intrigued several weeks ago when Kristen mentioned she made the easiest loaf of bread. EVER!  Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

At first I was a bit skeptical, after all, she holds bragging rights to bread making.  But she claimed, that this bread changes everything I think about bread making! (Let’s be honest, I wanted her mad bread making skills)

Mix 4 ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon! That’s it!  Cover and let it sit and rise for about 2 hours (no babysitting required).  Then pop in the fridge and cut off a big chunk when you are craving a warm hearty loaf.  It’s that easy.

The dough can keep in the fridge up to two weeks, and the longer it stays in the refrigerator, the more flavorful it becomes and the larger the air holes will be in the loaf.  But I have to say, I haven’t had the chance to experience that yet, as we have been making a loaf nearly every other day for the last two weeks.  Yeah, it’s THAT good!

The day you want to make your bread, it’s just five minutes of active effort (hence the name 5 minutes a day).   You cut off about one pound of dough (you can get about 3 loaves out of one recipe) shape it, let it rest for 40 minutes, add a few pretty slashes to the top and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes.  Can’t get any easier than that!

lets eat

TidyDad is begging for bread each day.  He can hardy wait for it to cool after it comes out of the oven (or for me to get a picture) – you should let the bread cool before slicing.

This has really rocked our world!!  You can follow the recipe and instructions at ArtisanBreadinFive.com or you can buy the book for even more recipes using this basic dough.

Don’t be jealous………….

He's all mine!

whiskers, camo and ALL! HA!

Artisan Bread Supplies

you may want, but you don’t NEED all of these

Bread Making Tools

Pizza Peel | 6 Qt. Food Storage Container | Pizza Stone | Bread Knife | Oven Thermometer | Danish Dough Whisk | Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François

Do you make homemade bread?

You may also want to read:

TidyMom I'm Lovin' ItI’m Lovin’……Artisan Bread in Five

get button code

Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://TidyMom.net

Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!

Share your recipes, crafts, diy’s, photography, printables, products..anything you are loving!

If you have something to share with us on your blog, add your link below.

*Don’t forget to come back over the weekend for the I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up post……where I feature a few of the great links!!

What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here

@TidyMom or scan my HR code with your camera

@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera

Yum

88 Responses to “I’m Lovin It: Artisan Bread {in five minutes a day}”

1. Windy posted on January 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm (#)

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’ve always wanted to bake my own bread, but was too intimidated to try. You always hear how finicky and picky bread dough is and that you have make it “just so” or the world will end… After reading the five minutes a day info though, I know I can make it! I’m already getting giddy thinking about the smell of fresh baked bread in the house.

2. Wenderly posted on January 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm (#)

Wowza is that a beautiful loaf of bread!! LOVE the photo of hubs too!

3. Kessie Mitler posted on January 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm (#)

Hello Tidy Mom,
    I rarely comment on blogs but today I decided to . You share a piece of yourself along with delicious recepies in every post. Today I feel like I should share a piece of me. My name is Kessie and I’m 25 years old. I’m hardworking, I’ve been engaged for 4 months to the most wonderful man any woman could ask for, and I’m a recovering drug-addict. When I went into recovery I discovered I had a knack for cooking and I began reading cooking blogs, such as yours, to fuel my new hobby. By the time I got help I had burned all my bridges and only had myself. Cooking became my way of expressing myself. Of being Me. I’m not trying to be mean, but you don’t know all of your readers and there are certain things you shouldn’t be so trivial with. Addiction is something that effects almost every family and is a very sensitive subject for some people. I’m sure you’re very nice in person & your husband looks just as delicious as the bread he’s eating. If I were you I’d keep a tight hold on him!
    thanks for listening,
    Kessie

4. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm (#)

I love the sound of this, I love the smell of bread baking.

5. Michelle posted on January 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm (#)

I just discovered this recipe over the holidays. I also like the recipe for “naan”. No rest time when you get it out of the oven – preheat your cast-iron skillet till water skitters across it. Put about 1/2 – 1 tablespoon oil in, stretch 4 oz dough into a small piza crust. Put in skillet, cover. Cook about 3 min, then flip over and repeat. Sooooo good! I also do quick pizzas this way – after I flip it the first time, I sauce and cheese that side. I think e official directions are on the ABin5 website.

6. aida mollenkamp posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm (#)

Hurrah, for quick, homemade bread. And, I agree, that’s such a great book!

7. Diane {Created by Diane} posted on January 13, 2012 at 9:56 pm (#)

Oh my goodness I LOVE bread, yours looks wonderful! My hubby would be trying to sneak a piece too.
    Great list of “lovin it” going on!

8. Yvette posted on January 14, 2012 at 12:33 am (#)

Oh, so do I!! Nothing beats fresh, warm bread, butter and jam!!

9. Darla Baerg posted on January 14, 2012 at 9:03 am (#)

Is there a way to follow you on pinterest? I’ve looked but can’t find you. :)

10. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on January 14, 2012 at 2:20 pm (#)

Warm homemade bread out of the oven definitely has a similar effect on me, so hard to resist!

11. Jeanette posted on January 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm (#)

I don’t make homemade bread often (except for gluten-free), but I know my kids who are not on a gluten-free diet would love this one. Love how simple this is.

12. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction posted on January 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm (#)

That bread looks fabulous! I’ve never actually tried the ABin5 recipe, but I do love homemade bread. I think I will have to give it a shot this winter!

13. microsoft exchange replacement posted on April 22, 2014 at 7:28 am (#)

In this way, you guys receive the Microsoft Points for free of charge with little to no work.
    The intricate designs for all kind of gold jewelry are the result of the best
    craftsmanship. While you are searching, be sure to use legitimate sites to acquire the codes.

1. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Cookie Bark | Simply Southern Baking

2. Pingback: The ABC's of a Happy New Year | Simply Southern Baking

3. Pingback: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day | TidyMom- Recipes And Family

4. Pingback: Valentine Crafts and Food Ideas | TidyMom

5. Pingback: Cooking | Pearltrees

6. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal » The Misadventures of Mrs B.

7. Pingback: Lia Maries Garlic Baked Chicken recipe | TidyMom

8. Pingback: Shrimp and Broccoli Fettucine Recipe| Philadelphia Cooking Creme | TidyMom

9. Pingback: Homemade Garlic Cheese Bread | TidyMom

10. Pingback: Garlic Butter Buns | TidyMom

11. Pingback: Woo them with carbs (5-Minute Artisan French Bread) – finding time for cooking

12. Pingback: Vanilla Bean and Cherry Swirled Icebox Cookies