Family

I’m Lovin It: Artisan Bread {in five minutes a day}

I’ve found a way to make delicious homemade Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François.

artisan bread in 5 minutes a day

I think it’s time I tell you……….

My husband has an addiction.

An addiction to bread.  Not just any bread, but good homemade bread.  And I’ve never been good about making it for him.

I got rid of my bread machine a few years ago, because it was just too big and was taking up valuable space, for how little I used it.  I would occasionally buy the loaves you find in the freezer section of your grocery store, that you just put in a pan to rise then bake.  Those are good, but it’s just not the same as making your own.

Yeast can be intimidating.  It’s particular.  It usually involves kneading, rising, fussing, and time!  You have to worry about temperature and humidity.  All very different than my affair with sugar.  Sugar is easy going and rarely lets me down.  Yeast, on the other hand, is usually a little “high maintenance for me”.  I could live with the fact that would never own title of “bread maker”.

So for years, I rarely fed my husband’s addiction.  Probably for the best, really.  I saved his waistline and my sanity.  (where’s my cape for THAT ?)

Naturally, I was intrigued several weeks ago when Kristen mentioned she made the easiest loaf of bread. EVER!  Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

At first I was a bit skeptical, after all, she holds bragging rights to bread making.  But she claimed, that this bread changes everything I think about bread making! (Let’s be honest, I wanted her mad bread making skills)

Mix 4 ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon! That’s it!  Cover and let it sit and rise for about 2 hours (no babysitting required).  Then pop in the fridge and cut off a big chunk when you are craving a warm hearty loaf.  It’s that easy.

The dough can keep in the fridge up to two weeks, and the longer it stays in the refrigerator, the more flavorful it becomes and the larger the air holes will be in the loaf.  But I have to say, I haven’t had the chance to experience that yet, as we have been making a loaf nearly every other day for the last two weeks.  Yeah, it’s THAT good!

The day you want to make your bread, it’s just five minutes of active effort (hence the name 5 minutes a day).   You cut off about one pound of dough (you can get about 3 loaves out of one recipe) shape it, let it rest for 40 minutes, add a few pretty slashes to the top and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes.  Can’t get any easier than that!

lets eat

TidyDad is begging for bread each day.  He can hardy wait for it to cool after it comes out of the oven (or for me to get a picture) – you should let the bread cool before slicing.

This has really rocked our world!!  You can follow the recipe and instructions at ArtisanBreadinFive.com or you can buy the book for even more recipes using this basic dough.

Don’t be jealous………….

He's all mine!

whiskers, camo and ALL! HA!

Artisan Bread Supplies

you may want, but you don’t NEED all of these

Bread Making Tools

Pizza Peel | 6 Qt. Food Storage Container | Pizza Stone | Bread Knife | Oven Thermometer | Danish Dough Whisk | Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François

Do you make homemade bread?

You may also want to read:

TidyMom I'm Lovin' ItI’m Lovin’……Artisan Bread in Five

get button code

Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://TidyMom.net

Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!

Share your recipes, crafts, diy’s, photography, printables, products..anything you are loving!

If you have something to share with us on your blog, add your link below.

*Don’t forget to come back over the weekend for the I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up post……where I feature a few of the great links!!

What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here

88 Responses to “I’m Lovin It: Artisan Bread {in five minutes a day}”

1. Michell @ Girl In Air posted on January 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm (#

Oh MY word that looks sooo YUMMY! I’ve never made homemade bread….might have to try this…thank you for hosting:-)

2. Kristen posted on January 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm (#

Your loaf is GORGEOUS! You mastered it. See, I told you it was easy!

3. Peggy posted on January 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm (#

I absolutely LOVE this recipe book!! I think I had it within days of it shopping up at our bookstore and have never found a recipe I didn’t like!! Have you seen the newest whole grains version? I don’t own it but man is it ever awesome!!

4. Sara @ Mom Endeavors posted on January 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm (#

What pretty bread! I’ve NEVER made homemade bread before (don’t have a bread machine either). After seeing this post, I just might give it a shot. That looks divine! :)

5. Angie@Echoes of Laughter Blog posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm (#

Hi Cheryl! Thank you so much for hosting this party! Happy New Year! Angie xo

6. Crystal posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm (#

Thanks for hosting!

7. Allison @ Alli 'n Son posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm (#

I LOVE homemade bread. I used to be the bread queen. Now, with two kids, I just don’t take the time to do it. I think I could squeeze this into our schedules though.

8. Tiffany posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm (#

I have a 13 year old son who loves baking bread. He can make Artisan bread with this recipe. He also makes Depression Era bread. It makes 6 loaves and he does it by hand. Love that kid!

9. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm (#

5 minutes?!! Ok, I just decided I need to bake bread. You have me convinced!

10. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm (#

I got this book at the library about 2 months ago…I haven’t looked at bread the same way since! It’s incredible and SO EASY!

11. Shaina posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm (#

I’m so glad you finally tried this and are loving it! It makes fresh bread so easy. Well worth the minimal effort.

12. Deana posted on January 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm (#

Thanks for hosting…I’d like to invite you to my first linky party this Saturday @CountryMommaCooks…..You have a Blessed day:)

13. Cranberry Morning posted on January 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm (#

Good grief! I’ve baked homemade bread for years, but never have I heard of this amazing shortcut! This is definitely going in my recipe file. How FUN!!! :-)

14. Brenda McKnatt posted on January 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm (#

This is wild.. I just came on to look at a PRESTO BREAD SLICING GUIDE. I was thinking about making homemade bread tomorrow and start making our bread again. I will have to try this. It looks great. Thanks for sharing!!
    P.S. I do not like a bread machine, husband does.. You are right, it does take up way too much room!

15. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on January 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm (#

Beautiful bread, Cheryl!! I just tried this for the first time myself last week! I’ve had the book for over a year – can’t believe I waited this long to dive in. I am no longer intimidated with making fresh bread – and it’s soooooo easy! We’ve made the boule, a big pita, and baguettes. Yum!

16. nest of posies posted on January 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm (#

i’m so curious about the bread now. i have an addiction to all food, but i love bread. man, do i love it. i haven’t made homemade bread since the kids were born – but this i might just try.

xo
    kellie

17. Amy @MoMomma posted on January 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm (#

This looks AMAZING! Do you need to cover the bread dough in the fridge? or keep it in a special container? Thanks for the recipe.

• TidyMom replied on January 13th, 2012 at 6:10 am

yes you cover it , but not air tight. They give all the details on their site and book

18. Sue posted on January 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm (#

I am sort of embarrassed to admit that I have had this book for quite a long time, but have never made bread from it:( Even so, now you have definitely inspired me to change that status and SOON, I too will be an artisan bread baker:) Thanks for the great, entertaining post, Cheryl!

19. Amy @ uTryIt posted on January 13, 2012 at 1:06 am (#

Your bread looks wonderful. I’ve tried to make them before but the “air holes” inside was lacking but the flavor was wonderful! Maybe I’ll give it another shot again. :) Thanks for sharing your experience.

20. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on January 13, 2012 at 6:16 am (#

Cheryl, I bought the book on my Nook after Kristan talked about the bread. I have now read the book over twice, and am ready. However, I haven’t yet jumped. It will happen soon though!

21. Carolyn posted on January 13, 2012 at 6:42 am (#

I’ve got to try this! Not only will the husband love it, so will I. Thanks for sharing.

22. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted on January 13, 2012 at 7:26 am (#

Sounds good to me! Yum!

23. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:17 am (#

Your bread looks amazing and delicious. After seeing Kristen’s post, I wanted to try it. Now, I am convinced that I simply must!

My favorite of your post was seeing how much you love your husband. That picture was just precious. Happy Friday!

• TidyMom replied on January 13th, 2012 at 8:36 am

Lol……wasn’t the best shot, and he wasn’t really looking his best, but hey….that’s my life! Haha!!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!!

24. bridget {bake at 350} posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:25 am (#

I share your cutie pie husband’s addiction! And I’m afraid of how much weight I would gain if I had this dough in my fridge, ready at a moment’s notice!!!

• TidyMom replied on January 13th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Lol yeah that’s the worst part about it!

25. Lori @ RecipeGirl posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:29 am (#

Your husband is darling :) I totally need that pizza peel thingie. It was on my Christmas list and I did not get it! I love this book too- makes bread baking so much easier!

• TidyMom replied on January 13th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Even with the corn meal I can’t always get the dough to slide off the peel too well. I wonder if the wooden ones are better? But they are more $$.

• Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen replied on January 13th, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I put the tiniest dab of Crisco on a napkin then wipe it across the surface before the cornmeal. It creates a small barrier between the metal and the cornmeal- just enough to help.

• TidyMom replied on January 14th, 2012 at 10:26 am

oh fantastic! I’ll give that a try with my next batch!

26. Sanjeeta kk posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:33 am (#

Wonderful..no wonder the bread is an addiction for your hubby!

27. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:59 am (#

Thanks for hosting! I love looking at all the links. Such beautiful photos each week!

28. Maria posted on January 13, 2012 at 9:06 am (#

We love this bread! We love it for pizza too!

• TidyMom replied on January 13th, 2012 at 9:11 am

I was just telling my family we can make pizza crust with it the other day………so that’s next on my list to try!

29. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on January 13, 2012 at 9:06 am (#

Wow. I cannot believe how simple it is to make this bread! I am sold.

30. susan posted on January 13, 2012 at 9:29 am (#

I love that book! I bake from it all the time and the kids devour the bread!! Your husband is my kind of guy!

31. Kathia posted on January 13, 2012 at 9:38 am (#

I have always been afraid of making bread, you make it look so simple. I really have to try it. Thank you for hosting this party. Have a great weekend.

32. Katie | GoodLife Eats posted on January 13, 2012 at 10:09 am (#

LOVE Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I think I’ll have to whip up a new batch of dough today.

33. Tammy posted on January 13, 2012 at 10:12 am (#

That looks delish! I am so not a baker of bread, really anything for that matter, but this looks easy enough for me to try someday. If I show this to my husband, it will be sooner rather than later, LOL.

34. Val Sweeney Cathell posted on January 13, 2012 at 11:05 am (#

I just love your humor! Great post!!! looks yummy :-)

35. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on January 13, 2012 at 11:12 am (#

I LOVE this book!! I borrowed it from a friend, but was forced to give it back :( Your bread looks wonerful!

36. Nikki Barker posted on January 13, 2012 at 11:18 am (#

I think this post is awesome!
    I just got this book from my local library last week and have fallen in love with it. Besides the fact that most recipes are made for more than 1 loaf of bread, it makes it so easy to keep up with my families intake. (yes I am a farmers wife and I HAVE to make everything homemade if I can figure it out lol)
    Loved the book for it’s usefulness so much that I made dh find me a copy and buy it!

37. Elaina @ Flavour posted on January 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm (#

Hey! I’ve also been addicted to making this bread over the last couple of weeks. I got the book as a Christmas present and haven’t stopped making bread. It’s so wonderful and I’m so glad everyone else thinks it’s wonderful too. Enjoy your bread, because I know how delicious it is! Great post :)

38. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on January 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm (#

Cheryl I look forward to you linky every week! I find so many new-to-me blogs!

Your bread looks cah-razy good. Warn bread within in hour’s reach every day? Eeek! I might be in trouble!! xoxo-K

39. Tracy @ Sugarcrafter posted on January 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm (#

I love ABin5! In fact I just whipped up another batch for grilled cheese sandwiches tonight. Love it!

40. Windy posted on January 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm (#

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’ve always wanted to bake my own bread, but was too intimidated to try. You always hear how finicky and picky bread dough is and that you have make it “just so” or the world will end… After reading the five minutes a day info though, I know I can make it! I’m already getting giddy thinking about the smell of fresh baked bread in the house.

41. Wenderly posted on January 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm (#

Wowza is that a beautiful loaf of bread!! LOVE the photo of hubs too!

42. Kessie Mitler posted on January 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm (#

Hello Tidy Mom,
    I rarely comment on blogs but today I decided to . You share a piece of yourself along with delicious recepies in every post. Today I feel like I should share a piece of me. My name is Kessie and I’m 25 years old. I’m hardworking, I’ve been engaged for 4 months to the most wonderful man any woman could ask for, and I’m a recovering drug-addict. When I went into recovery I discovered I had a knack for cooking and I began reading cooking blogs, such as yours, to fuel my new hobby. By the time I got help I had burned all my bridges and only had myself. Cooking became my way of expressing myself. Of being Me. I’m not trying to be mean, but you don’t know all of your readers and there are certain things you shouldn’t be so trivial with. Addiction is something that effects almost every family and is a very sensitive subject for some people. I’m sure you’re very nice in person & your husband looks just as delicious as the bread he’s eating. If I were you I’d keep a tight hold on him!
    thanks for listening,
    Kessie

43. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm (#

I love the sound of this, I love the smell of bread baking.

44. Michelle posted on January 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm (#

I just discovered this recipe over the holidays. I also like the recipe for “naan”. No rest time when you get it out of the oven – preheat your cast-iron skillet till water skitters across it. Put about 1/2 – 1 tablespoon oil in, stretch 4 oz dough into a small piza crust. Put in skillet, cover. Cook about 3 min, then flip over and repeat. Sooooo good! I also do quick pizzas this way – after I flip it the first time, I sauce and cheese that side. I think e official directions are on the ABin5 website.

45. aida mollenkamp posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm (#

Hurrah, for quick, homemade bread. And, I agree, that’s such a great book!

46. Diane {Created by Diane} posted on January 13, 2012 at 9:56 pm (#

Oh my goodness I LOVE bread, yours looks wonderful! My hubby would be trying to sneak a piece too.
    Great list of “lovin it” going on!

47. Yvette posted on January 14, 2012 at 12:33 am (#

Oh, so do I!! Nothing beats fresh, warm bread, butter and jam!!

48. Darla Baerg posted on January 14, 2012 at 9:03 am (#

Is there a way to follow you on pinterest? I’ve looked but can’t find you. :)

49. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on January 14, 2012 at 2:20 pm (#

Warm homemade bread out of the oven definitely has a similar effect on me, so hard to resist!

50. Jeanette posted on January 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm (#

I don’t make homemade bread often (except for gluten-free), but I know my kids who are not on a gluten-free diet would love this one. Love how simple this is.

1. Pingback: How to Make a Charging Station and Laptop Storage from a Dresser or Desk | Eat at Home

2. Pingback: Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies {new home & giveaway}

3. Pingback: Go Team Duncan – easy Valentines with a free printable

4. Pingback: Sugar Free Chocolate Brownies Recipe | Sugar-Free Mom

5. Pingback: Gluten-Free Lasagna Rollups Recipe Review | Sugar-Free Mom

6. Pingback: Baked Stuffed Chicken &Spinach Recipe | Sugar-Free Mom

7. Pingback: Garlic Parmesan Roasted Chickpea Snack Recipe | Sugar-Free Mom

8. Pingback: Whole Wheat Bacon Cheeseburger Calzone | Sugar-Free Mom

9. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal | A healthy, delicious and hearty breakfast! | The Misadventures of Mrs. B

10. Pingback: Happiness Is…Recipe: Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cup Cookies | Cooking for My Kids

11. Pingback: Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Pie

12. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Cookie Bark | Simply Southern Baking

13. Pingback: The ABC's of a Happy New Year | Simply Southern Baking

14. Pingback: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day | TidyMom- Recipes And Family

15. Pingback: Valentine Crafts and Food Ideas | TidyMom

16. Pingback: Cooking | Pearltrees

17. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal » The Misadventures of Mrs B.

18. Pingback: Lia Maries Garlic Baked Chicken recipe | TidyMom

19. Pingback: Shrimp and Broccoli Fettucine Recipe| Philadelphia Cooking Creme | TidyMom

20. Pingback: Homemade Garlic Cheese Bread | TidyMom

21. Pingback: Garlic Butter Buns | TidyMom

22. Pingback: Woo them with carbs (5-Minute Artisan French Bread) – finding time for cooking

23. Pingback: Vanilla Bean and Cherry Swirled Icebox Cookies