Home and Garden

How to Grill Corn on the Cob

With a few simple steps, corn on the cob can be grilled to steaming perfection.

How to Grill Corn on the Cob at TidyMom.net

Corn is always a favorite vegetable in our house. It goes with everything from flank steak sandwiches to pulled pork.

With the extreme summer heat we’ve been having in the Midwest, we’ve really had no option but to grill outside.  Yes, it’s completely insane to stand over a hot grill when it’s 104+ outside but it beats heating up the house or getting carry out.  And really, when it’s THAT hot outside, what’s a little more heat? right? lol

I often cook corn on the cob in the husk in the microwave all year round, but there’s something about the smokey delicious flavor of corn cooked in the husk on the grill, that can’t be beat!

Trust me, you’ll never boil a pot of water for corn again!

How to Grill Corn on the Cob in the Husks

Pin It

Grilling Corn on the Cob at TidyMom.net

Some say to soak your corn in water first (you will hear anything from 10 mins to overnight), some say it’s an unneeded step.  I’ve heard it helps the husk from burning up too quickly, so if I remember ahead of time, I soak the corn in the kitchen sink or bowl, usually for about 15-30 minutes.

Remove the corn from the water, gently pull back husks (about 3/4 the way down) and remove the silks.

I like to brush with a little melted seasoned butter or Lia Marie’s Garlic Spread, then pull the husks back up and tie shut with a piece of twine or a stray piece of husk.

Place the corn on a hot grill over medium heat for about 25-30 minutes, turning often (the husks will become charred).  You can do this covered or uncovered, I usually start off uncovered, then close the lid at the end, but my husks do get more burnt when I close the lid.

Remove from the grill and let sit about 5-10 minutes before serving.

I love to season our corn with seasoned salt or make my own.

Smoked Paprika Salt for Corn on the Cob at TidyMom.net

2 tablespoons of Kosher Salt combined with 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika is amazing on grilled corn!

Grilled Corn on the Cob at TidyMom.net

After the corn has cooled, you can add a little more butter, or Lia Marie’s Garlic Spread is delicious since it’s full of savory spices, top with a little Smoked Paprika Salt and pepper to taste!

Now if that doesn’t say summer I don’t know what does!!

Do you grill corn at your house?

Check out these great grilled corn recipes!

Grilled Corn, Tomato + Avocado Salad – With Style and Grace

Grilled Corn Salad - Two Peas and Their Pod

Grilled Corn and Cheddar Quinoa – How Sweet It Is

Grilled Vegetable Tacos – My Kitchen Addiction

Sweet Corn and Lime Salad – With Style and Grace

Grilled Sweet Corn – Food For My Family

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Grilled Corn on the Cob is popular for summer barbeques. Grilling corn is easy to do with a few simple steps and never fails to impress your guests.

Ingredients

• fresh corn on the cob, in husks
  • Lia Marie's Garlic spread, or garlic butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Soak corn in cold water for 15 to 30 minutes.
  2. Mix paprika and salt in small bowl and set aside.
  3. Remove corn from water, and gently pull back husks; remove silks.
  4. Melt Lia Marie's Garlic spread in microwave. Brush corn with melted garlic spread. Pull back husks over kernels, twisting tops to secure husks.
  5. Grill corn, uncovered, at medium-high 25 to 30 minutes, turning several times to cook evenly on all sides. (The outside of corn husks will be charred.)
  6. To serve, pull back husks and tie together with a piece of the husk to form a handle for the corn. Season with smoked paprika salt and black pepper; serve hot.

Notes

If you're not able to get Lia Marie's Garlic Spread where you live, you can substitute with real butter and a little crushed garlic or garlic powder.

© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

Disclaimer:  TidyMom is working in partnership with Lia Marie’s to spread the word about this garlic spread that’s sweeping the nation.  All options and love for Lia Marie’s are all my own.

39 Responses to “How to Grill Corn on the Cob”

1. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on July 9, 2012 at 6:50 am (#

Mmmm, we love grilled corn on the cob. I never remember to soak my husks, but it turns out just fine every time! Great pictures Cheryl!

2. Naomi posted on July 9, 2012 at 7:31 am (#

Im so putting Matt to work on this one. :)

3. marla posted on July 9, 2012 at 7:36 am (#

Thanks for this great how to Cheryl! We love grilled corn on the cob too :)

4. Laura posted on July 9, 2012 at 7:37 am (#

Thanks for sharing this! My husband and I disagree how long vegetables need to cook on the grill and he ends up badly overcooking them all. But this has inspired me to give corn on the cob one last chance.

5. Maria posted on July 9, 2012 at 7:44 am (#

Grilled corn is the best!

6. Ali | Gimme Some Oven posted on July 9, 2012 at 8:03 am (#

So glad you posted this!!! I’ve still actually never tried making corn on the grill, but would love to!!! This looks completely delicious! :)

• TidyMom replied on July 9th, 2012 at 8:57 am

it really gives it a different flavor, give it a try and tell me what you think!

7. Lisa | With Style and Grace posted on July 9, 2012 at 8:16 am (#

love that we both posted about corn today – good minds think alike! thank you so much for the [corn] link love!!

• TidyMom replied on July 9th, 2012 at 8:56 am

love that!!!

8. ter@waaoms posted on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 am (#

I do this too, and YUM. My question for you is, what is that you’re using to remove the silk????

• TidyMom replied on July 9th, 2012 at 8:56 am

My fingers! lol it comes off pretty easy

9. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 am (#

We love grilled corn, your addition of the smoked paprika sounds amazing.

10. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on July 9, 2012 at 9:23 am (#

Cheryl, We are CRAZY over smoked paprika and put it on all sorts of grilled items, including corn! Great tutorial!

11. Barb @ FL Mom's Blog posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:00 am (#

My husband just grilled some corn last night on the grill, and I wish that we had had your recipe idea then! I forwarded him the recipe to look at! Next time!

12. Vicki Bensinger posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:06 am (#

Great information Cheryl. I love to grill corn but have never seen this garlic spread before. It sounds deadly, I’ll have to locate some.

A great tool to use to remove the corn is the OXO Corn Peeler it’s amazing how incredible it works even on raw corn.

13. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:07 am (#

great recipe and tutorial! We love grilled corn!

14. Ann posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:27 am (#

I get the corn home, pull the husks back, remove the silt. Then soak it. Then rub it with garlic, paprika and parm cheese pull the husks back and on the grill it goes.
    While its grilling I soften pray it with water (i read this somewhere once) it keep the husks from burning. It was never eye appealing for my kids.
    Usually takes 40 min rotating between bottom and top shelf.

• deana replied on July 10th, 2012 at 11:52 am

This is how we do ours too Ann,
      Really the only way the family will eat it ha ha…. On mine I like to use the sweet Paprika

15. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:49 am (#

We just got back from a weekend on the Cape and we devoured lots of grilled corn…. Sometimes we left it in the husk, sometimes we didn’t. Next time, I’ll be following these tips… and will definitely include some garlic butter!

16. Julie W. posted on July 9, 2012 at 11:50 am (#

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve always loved the grilled corn that we get at the street fairs, but never tried it myself. Your step-by-step directions are going to change that! Love the simple “recipe” for the smoked paprika salt, too!

17. aida mollenkamp posted on July 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm (#

Oh, how I adore grilled corn on the cob. I really think it’s the best way to prepare it!

18. Andrea posted on July 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm (#

Good idea! I love the smokey flavor.

19. Kankana posted on July 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm (#

Oh yeah .. i sure do grill corn at home. I also like blanched corn. I think I just love corn :)

20. bridget {bake at 350} posted on July 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm (#

My dad cooks corn on the grill ALL the time…and we never do. I really need to change that. And smoked paprika?!? I’m obsessed with it! Love the idea of putting it on corn!!!

21. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on July 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm (#

I’ve done them in the microwave like you’ve said too and it works brilliantly! Love corn on the cob.

22. susan posted on July 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm (#

fun post, Cheryl! I love it all!

23. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm (#

So informative! I love corn on the cob, especially a nicely grilled one. Thanks for sharing this insight!

24. Jeanette posted on July 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm (#

Looks so pretty Cheryl – I’m lazy so I just throw the husked corn right on the grill for just a little bit. Love the idea of smoked paprika to season.

25. Tickled Red posted on July 10, 2012 at 12:27 am (#

Great how to tips! Grilled corn is packed with so much flavor, it’s one of our favs. xoxo

26. Mindy posted on July 10, 2012 at 10:43 am (#

We love sweet corn on the grill, especaially since we live in Iowa and it’s so fresh!!! We love grilling it when we go camping! I will have to remember how to prepare it this way and try it out this weekend:)

27. Kirstina Vanni posted on July 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm (#

I love the instruction. A perfect staple for summertime! Thanks for sharing!

28. Carrie @ bakeaholic mama posted on July 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#

LOVE grilled corn, one of the best parts of summer!

29. Glory/ Glorious Treats posted on July 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm (#

Oh boy, that sure does look good! Thanks for all the tips!

30. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on July 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm (#

Mmmmm…I love smoky charred grilled corn on the cob. Great post, Cheryl!

1. Pingback: Aloha burger recipe | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Black Bean & Roasted Corn Salad | TidyMom

3. Pingback: The 9 Hottest Summer Grilling Recipes, Based on Your Searches | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

4. Pingback: The 9 Hottest Summer Grilling Recipes, Based on Your Searches | News Feed

5. Pingback: The 9 Hottest Summer Grilling Recipes, Based on Your Searches