Holiday

Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs

Make homemade Peanut Butter Eggs for their Easter Baskets!

homemade chocolate covered peanut butter eggs

My husband doesn’t like it when I travel.  Even after 25 years of marriage, he still gets upset when we have to spend a night apart.

So this past weekend, I enjoyed a fun little half business, half pleasure girls weekend in Chicago – one of my favorite cities!!

I know he stresses while I’m gone, so I thought I’d make something extra special for him when I got home (WAY better than picking up a Chicago t-shirt in the airport! )

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are the way to this man’s heart,  and according to him, the Reese’s eggs are a divine creation!  He enjoys the perfect peanut butter to chocolate ratio in the eggs, and thinks they just taste fresher.

I was digging WAY back in the TidyMom archives the other day, when I ran across a recipe I shared back in April 2009 for no bake peanut butter bumble bee’s, which is also similar to my krispie peanut butter balls I make during Christmas, when it occurred to me, I could follow that recipe and make my man some homemade peanut butter eggs!

They were actually very easy to make, just a little messy and fun!  Any time melting, and dipping chocolate is involved, there’s going to be mess!  Hint:  put down lots of wax paper for easy clean up!

How to make Peanut Butter Eggs

First you mix up the simple peanut butter dough, roll it out to a generous 1/4″ thickness (cover dough with wax paper for easier rolling), and cut out your oval shapes with a cookie cutter.

Place your ovals on a wax paper lined pan, and give them a bit of an egg shape.  I pinched the tops and flattened the bottom just a bit (you could also leave them oval shaped).  Then pop the pan in the freezer for about an hour, to get them nice and firm.  Then give them a good dunk in the melted chocolate.  I love using the  Wilton Chocolate Pro Melting Pot!

Lay them out on a wax paper lined baking sheet until they cool and set up(this is also the time to add sprinkles if you want). Put them in the fridge to speed up the process.

You could also decorate with pastel colored candy melts after the chocolate sets.  They would be super cute in Easter baskets with names written on them and placed in a cellphone bag with a cute ribbon!

Store in a container in the fridge, so they don’t melt.

Peanut Butter Eggs by TidyMom

My goal in life is to make my family happy, and I’ll tell you………making these homemade peanut butter eggs definitely made them happy!

The advantage to making your chocolate eggs at home is you can use your preferred chocolate (milk, dark or white), if you have peanut allergies, you can possibly use almond butter.  I would LOVE to try them with Biscoff cookies in place of the graham cracker crumbs and Biscoff spread for the peanut butter!

What’s your favorite candy?

No-Bake Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs

Yield: 30

No-Bake Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs

Ingredients

• 1¼ cup creamy peanut butter
  • 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 14 ounces chocolate, milk, semi-sweet or dark
  • 1-2 Tablespoons shortening

Instructions

1. In a large bowl mix together peanut butter, butter, graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar and salt until well combined. You may have to use your hands if you're not using a stand mixer.
  2. Roll dough out on a wax paper lined surface to a generous 1/4" thickness.(place a another piece of wax paper over dough for easier rolling). Remove top piece of wax paper and using a small oval cookie cutter, cut out your eggs and place on wax paper lined pan. Reroll scraps and cut again.
  3. Place cut eggs in the freezer for one hour, or until firm.
  4. Melt chocolate and shortening according to instructions on package.
  5. Using a fork, dunk each frozen eggs in the chocolate, tapping off the excess. Use a spoon to push egg off fork on to wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until set.
  6. Enjoy!

Notes

These can be made using any cookie cutter shape, or you could even shape dough by hand.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

More Homemade Candy recipes you may enjoy:

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Homemade Twix

Homemade Snickers

Homemade Milky Way Bars

I'm linking up with these parties.......please visit them! Made by You Monday, Get Your Craft On, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Pity Party , Tasty Tuesday, Strut Your Stuff and Sundae Scoop

71 Responses to “Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs”

1. Michelle posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:03 am (#

Those are cute! We’re big peanut butter chocolate fans too. I came up with a peanut butter balls recipe incorporating ground flax seed, I think egg shapes would be fun. Excellent tip on freezing them first!

2. Tracey posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:04 am (#

Never heard of these, but I love the idea. Thanks.

3. Gina posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:12 am (#

These look yum and your display is really cute!

4. Darlita posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:18 am (#

Very creative! Thanks for sharing:)

5. Annette {Simple Mom} posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:21 am (#

My husband and yours would get along well! I made my husband PB eggs years ago. I think I need to again!

6. Cassie posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:28 am (#

Oh my gosh, these are perfect. So creative, Cheryl!

7. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:43 am (#

oh those are my favorite!

8. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:44 am (#

I love it when you talk about your husband. So sweet!

And, these peanut butter eggs look delicious. I am positive that my husband and littles would all like them, too.

9. Amy C. posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:50 am (#

YUM!! I can’t wait to try these!!

10. Maria posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:53 am (#

I really hope the Easter bunny brings me these eggs!

11. Kim Bee posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:58 am (#

These are adorable. I now know what to make for my nephew for Easter. He loves peanut butter.

12. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 26, 2012 at 10:02 am (#

I love making anything with a no-bake peanut butter based dough…and of course, chocolate. These are so perfect and cute for Easter :)

13. Joanna posted on March 26, 2012 at 10:14 am (#

I could just hug you for sharing this!! My husband is addicted to peanut butter eggs, but we don’t get them very often because they’re over-priced in our area. I’m going to have to surprise him with these one day after work!

14. Amanda posted on March 26, 2012 at 10:19 am (#

WOW!! These look amazing!! I would probably eat EVERY LAST ONE. :)

15. HeatherChristo posted on March 26, 2012 at 10:33 am (#

You just hit one of my all time favorite Easter candies! so so so good!!

16. Amanda posted on March 26, 2012 at 11:08 am (#

How fun are these cute PB eggs?? Love them!

17. Glory/ Glorious Treats posted on March 26, 2012 at 11:34 am (#

These look so delicious! I’m sure our family would love them!!

18. Melissa posted on March 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm (#

I’m so not a good baker & I’m not a candy maker, but these look really good. How important is it to use unsalted butter? I’ve only recently discovered which sticks were REAL butter (apparently everyone in my family has always been a margarine user) & I have only salted sticks. Will it just taste saltier, or will it make the recipe turn out incorrect if I use salted instead of unsalted? Thank you.

19. Paula posted on March 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm (#

Whenever I work with melted chocolate I always seem to get more on me than the treat! I’ve never been to Chicago but I’d definitely take a few of these over an airport gift shop t-shirt anyday!

20. aida mollenkamp posted on March 26, 2012 at 12:04 pm (#

I make PB cups but have never thought of making them into eggs for Easter — thanks!

21. marla posted on March 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm (#

These are so cute + I love that they are no bake too!

22. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on March 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm (#

I am definitely making these. I love the PB and chocolate eggs too! Well, I pretty much love anything PB and chocolate, especially dark chocolate. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

23. bridget {bake at 350} posted on March 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm (#

Um, I think I’ll take a dozen, please!

I love the sprinkles on them, too, Cheryl! Extra CUTE! I bet your hubby forgave you for leaving right away after these! ;)

24. dawn posted on March 26, 2012 at 4:45 pm (#

these are my favorite! they look so yummy!!! thanks for sharing :)

25. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on March 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm (#

LOTS of oohing and ahhing coming from my end! These look fantastic and so fun to make.

26. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on March 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm (#

Oh your eggs are so stinking adorable and professional looking. LOVE THEM!

27. The BearFoot Baker posted on March 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm (#

These look amazing!! Love them!!!

28. Kristee B posted on March 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm (#

These are adorable! If you’re keeping them in the fridge I would use coconut oil instead of shortening to eliminate the hydrogenated oils and make them a bit healthier!

29. Russell at Chasing Delicious posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm (#

These are so cute! I’m pretty sure I could eat a dozen or two in one sitting.

30. Carol posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm (#

BEAUTIFUL and sooooo yummy! Thank you very much for all your posts :)

31. Noble Pig - Cathy posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm (#

The cutest thing ever!!

32. Eileen posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:38 pm (#

I love choc/pb so these would make me a happy girl! Hope you had a great time on Girl’s Weekend.

33. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:42 pm (#

These are one of my favorites! You are so good to dip them and make actual eggs! I put them in a pan, and turn them into bars; I hate dipping chocolate!!
    Sounds like a fun weekend!

34. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on March 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm (#

These look great!! So fun!

35. susan posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm (#

those are almost way too cute to eat! sometimes a girl has to get away from your man, just to remind them how wonderful and terrific you are!! I am sure you were missed!

36. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm (#

How did you know peanut butter eggs were my absolute favorite!? ;-) Seriously though, I have a weakness for chocolate and peanut butter together and I must make these!

37. meg posted on March 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm (#

Oh My Goodness!!! I printed it for my daughter to make. She’s the chocolate/Peanut butter fan. Can’t wait to make them! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

38. Melanna posted on March 26, 2012 at 11:07 pm (#

Peanut butter reese eggs! Yes! They really are the best. Why did I never think to make them myself??
    It’s 10pm. Entirely too late to start this process. But you have given me my morning project. Thank you!

39. Katrina posted on March 26, 2012 at 11:25 pm (#

Love this! I am a huge Reese’s BP Cup fan, so I’m really looking forward to making these. Thanks for sharing. FYI I posted this onto my Pinterest page, credit you :)

40. Janet posted on March 27, 2012 at 9:52 am (#

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. Cookin' Canuck posted on March 27, 2012 at 9:57 am (#

I can see why your family was so happy – these eggs are adorable and I can only imagine how good they must taste! You definitely know the way back into your husband’s good graces.

42. Laura @ House Of Joyful Noise posted on March 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm (#

Yes, a (serious) peanut allergy kiddo in the house here. But I MISS Receese PB Cups! And PB Eggs. So I’m going to try and make these with our beloved Sunbutter! I bet it’ll work!

43. Sue {munchkin munchies} posted on March 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm (#

I’m sure these taste as GOOD as they look!

44. naomi posted on March 28, 2012 at 9:29 am (#

OMG-I love this idea and so will my boys!

45. Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} posted on March 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm (#

the way to my hubs heart is though chocolate and these will be a winner!

46. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on March 28, 2012 at 10:56 pm (#

These would make my family happy, too! :) I need one of those chocolate dipping pots. Seriously do need…

47. Kristina Vanni posted on March 31, 2012 at 11:13 am (#

It isn’t Easter without Peanut Butter Eggs! I love this homemade version! Thanks for sharing!

48. Rachelle posted on April 2, 2012 at 11:27 am (#

Mmmmmm….Peanut butter eggs sound SO delicious! Making these is definitely on my do-it list :)

49. Julie Godfrey posted on April 6, 2012 at 8:02 am (#

Always a favorite at our home, peanut butter and chocolate, but homemade, of nothing better than that! How delicious and amazing! Thanks, Julie (the letter 4’s mom)

50. Kimberly posted on April 7, 2012 at 8:30 pm (#

Resses eggs are one of my favorites, but aren’t allowed in my house because one of my children has a nut allergy. I was able to substitue sunbutter for the peanutbutter. Thanks so much for the recipe! These will be a special treat and a huge hit on Easter morning!

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites: Best Easter Recipes this week | Jen's Favorite Cookies

2. Pingback: 15 Easter Desserts

3. Pingback: Fun Spring & Easter Food Ideas plus Menu Plan

4. Pingback: Los 5 de la Semana – Especial Pascua « Alimentación, nutrición y salud en Salud a la carta

5. Pingback: Favorite Recipes | TidyMom

6. Pingback: 51 Easter Sweets Made Simple with Tutorials and Recipes

7. Pingback: 25 Yummy Easter Desserts | My Thirty-Something Life

8. Pingback: 55 Best Easter Pinterest Recipes & Treats | Daily Dish Recipes

9. Pingback: 30 Best Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes | TidyMom

10. Pingback: The Top 20 Easter Ideas and Recipes on Pinterest » Dining At My Desk

11. Pingback: Autoproduzione e coccole: 10 ricette per uova di Pasqua fatte in casa | blog.casase.it | se ciò che cerchi é sentirti a casa.