Home and Garden

8 Smart Organizing Tips for the Kitchen

What makes a great kitchen is how you organize it. Learn 8 smart organizing tips to help you get your kitchen organized in no time!

8 smart tips for organizing kitchen

If you’re anything like me, once the holiday decorations come down you’re ready to start getting your house a little more organized.

The kitchen is the first place I need to start!

Here are 8 smart tips to help you organize your kitchen!

Kitchen Organization

I can’t believe I never thought to put these organizing tools to use in my refrigerator.

Fridge Organization

source : Martha Stewart

I love this idea! Use tension curtain rods to create dividers. Buy rods to fit the space, and position pairs of them at intervals. Great for storing platters, cookie sheets and cutting boards

tension rod pantry dividers

source: Martha Stewart

Use vinyl to place a measurement conversion chart right inside your cabinet door.

Measurement-Conversion-Chart

source: Infarrantly Creative

I don’t have much cabinet space, so I use a wall mounted pot rack to hang my pots over my stove.

Pot rack

purchase wall mounted pot rack

I already use hooks inside my cabinet doors for dish rags to dry, but I love the idea of adding buckets to doors for sponges and tools too!

add buckets and hooks

source: Tatertots & Jello

Make a chalkboard for the kitchen to keep track groceries needed, menus and to-do lists.

make a chalkboard

source: She Wears Many Hats

Use jars, containers, and baskets to keep pantry items organized.  Use labels to make sure everyone knows what goes where.

kitchen pantry jars and labels

source: House of Smiths

Make better use of the space under your sink.  Hang spray bottles from a tension rod for easy access.

undersink spray bottles

source:  A Thousand Words

You May also enjoy:

Spring Cleaning the Kitchen

How to clean your dishwasher

A great kitchen is an organized kitchen

I’d love to hear more kitchen organizing ideas in the comments!  Or share pictures of your kitchen organization on the TidyMom Facebook Page!

139 Responses to “8 Smart Organizing Tips for the Kitchen”

1. Allison posted on January 11, 2012 at 9:54 am (#

I need to see more ideas for organizing a spice cabinet – LOL :)

• Kelly replied on January 11th, 2012 at 10:02 pm

AGREE! I have lots of spices and no place to put them so I can see them all!

• Marie B. replied on January 17th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

QVC, has a great spice rack that holds tall n small spice bottles. It has three drawers that slide out n hang down, when done slide back up just make sure to do this in slow step because the little grooves have to line up.

• Joel replied on February 15th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Alton Brown has a great idea. He uses the round metal containers to store his spices. Then he puts velcro on the bottom of the containers and sticks them to velcro strips mounted on the inside of his cabinet doors. Just label the lids and you’ve got a convenient way to get to and organize your spices.

• Brittany replied on February 27th, 2012 at 6:03 pm

You actually want to throw out all open spices after about a year. Maybe that can help reduce the over flow.

2. Jennifer Fischer posted on January 11, 2012 at 9:55 am (#

I’m in the process of giving my pantry a *TOTAL* makeover. Once that is done, on to the cupbaords. So, I LOVE the idea of tension rods for baking sheets. I don’t have a pull-out drawer for my baking supplies and let me tell you, it is no small or fun task getting the right baking sheet out when they are all stacked on top of each other! THANK YOU!

3. JulieD posted on January 11, 2012 at 9:56 am (#

This is awesome! I need all of this in my life! :)

4. Lou Fairey posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:09 am (#

What great ideas. I thought I was pretty good at organization but boy do you have me beat!!! lol Thanks for the great ideas. I too have a small kitchen and have to optimize every inch of space.

5. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:35 am (#

I love reading stuff like this, my kitchen is a night mare, I need a bigger one for sure!

6. a spoonful of yumm posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:45 am (#

i do like a kitchen stand to store plates, hang mugs from….its space saving, but old school. also a shelf above but little away from the stove with basics like tea, sugar, coffee, oil which you use everyday within easy reach. a spice box with compartments is very useful to access spices at one go. empty bowls , mugs, vessels can be used to store extra spoons, sieves etc – that’s a great space saver

7. Kristen posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:46 am (#

Love these tips – especially the vinyl inside the cabinet for measuring cups and spoons
    so smart. I’m totally going to do that – so much easier than searching through my drawers for my measuring tools!

8. Amanda posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:58 am (#

Holy cow I love this post. I want to do every single thing in it!!!

9. leslie posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:59 am (#

Ummm0hello..each and every one of those ideas is genius! I am totally digging the turntable in the fridge!

10. Carolyn posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:59 am (#

Love this, Cheryl. Maybe I would be in a better place right now if I could get this organized!!!

11. Maria posted on January 11, 2012 at 11:02 am (#

I needed this post:)

12. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga posted on January 11, 2012 at 11:33 am (#

fabulous tips and i can use all the help in the world for my tiny, urban kitchen that was made for people who entertain, but don’t actually cook :)

13. Lisa [With Style and Grace] posted on January 11, 2012 at 11:39 am (#

Great tips, definitely needed over here!

14. Sheena posted on January 11, 2012 at 11:47 am (#

I love love love these ideas!!! I can’t wait to implement them in my kitchen. The only one I can’t use is the pot rack. But everything else will be going up shortly!!! Thanks so much for sharing! If you have ideas for other rooms in the house I would love to see them, I have a goal to get my house organized this year… I am just not great at coming up with these awesome ideas.

15. Julie@gosimplysavvy posted on January 11, 2012 at 11:59 am (#

Funny, I have a similiar post coming up!! Kitchens are on the mind. Who couldn’t use the measurement conversion? I had not seen that idea before. I also love the idea of a chalk board to write on in the kitchen but am not able to do that in ours. Great ideas and I look forward to sharing more kitchen inspiration soon too.

I always enjoy your posts.

16. carol@thedesignpages posted on January 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm (#

OMG, I think you just changed my life!!!!

17. Joyce Sowards posted on January 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm (#

Hi Cheryl!! I’m loving the ideas in this post. Cleaning out my fridge was on my to do list which I wasn’t looking forward to, but now I’m super excited about implementing the organizational ideas. The tension rods are also brilliant. You wanted some ideas for additional organizational tools for the kitchen? I posted one recently on my blog. Shelf Reliance is going to be announcing a way to hide the shelves if you don’t like the look of them now. (I can’t give it away), but I don’t mind them. I can’t wait to link these ideas in my future posts. Thank you!!

18. Marialuisa posted on January 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm (#

I loved this post!!!, so interesting. If I find out any other tip, I´ll let you know.
    THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
    Love from Spain
    Marialuisa

19. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on January 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm (#

great tips!!! So helpful!! Hope you’re well!!

20. Ruth posted on January 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm (#

Wow – thank you for some great ideas. The kitchen is next on my list after I get done working on my closet!

21. Wenderly posted on January 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm (#

GREAT ideas!

22. Amy posted on January 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm (#

Totally need to do that tension rod under the sink thingy. So smart.

23. Rachel posted on January 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm (#

i want that pantry so bad!!!

24. Shelley Smith posted on January 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm (#

I LOVE the tension rod ideas!!! Thanks for including me in your roundup girly!!! :)

25. Andi posted on January 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm (#

The only idea here I’m not going to try and adopt is the pan hanging (I’ve got a pan drawer), but thank goodness for tension rods! Great ideas. Thanks. xx

26. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on January 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm (#

OH my gosh so many good ideas! I need to try the tension rods in the shelves and the containers on the inside of the doors.

27. Jeanette posted on January 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm (#

So many clever ideas Cheryl – love the one about putting organizers in the refrigerator – would never have thought of that!

28. Casey Croy posted on January 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#

Clever uses for tension rods. Hanging pots, etc. on wall behind stove: my experience is that cooking steam and spatters make for grungy hung stuff. I’d rather wipe down my stove and surrounding walls after each use of the stove. And have clean pots ‘n pans at the ready when I need to use them.

29. Cookin' Canuck posted on January 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm (#

Okay, I am diggin’ the turntable in the fridge and the tension rods for dividers and spray bottles. Brilliant! Seriously, you must have the most organized house. I need to follow suit.

30. Nana Phyllis posted on January 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm (#

I’m so impressed! I’d certainly like to get my kitchen and frig organized. Love the ideas!! Thanks.

31. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on January 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm (#

Thanks for this post, Cheryl – I totally need to use some of these ideas to get my kitchen in check!

32. HeatherChristo posted on January 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm (#

I need all of these techniques for organizing! My current strategy is to shove everything in cupboards and close the door.

33. aida mollenkamp posted on January 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm (#

Your place is an organizational dream! Thanks for sharing!

34. kalanicut posted on January 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm (#

I love these ideas. Ah. The idea of an even better organized kitchen puts a big smile on my face.

35. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on January 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm (#

I am loving these ideas! Keep ‘em coming.

36. Sue posted on January 12, 2012 at 11:26 pm (#

I do have a chalkboard door and a hanging pot rack, but these other ideas are so fabulous~ I need to put them to use!

37. marla posted on January 13, 2012 at 5:52 am (#

Awesome post! I think my favorite is the lazy susan in the fridge. Wish the clean fairy would visit my house!

38. Lisa posted on January 13, 2012 at 11:10 am (#

I love all the ideas for the kitchen! I am going to give my kitchen a complete make over. Thanks for the help!

39. Tickled Red posted on January 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm (#

Awesome post! I will be spending the next week revamping my kitchen now :D

40. Lisa posted on January 14, 2012 at 11:51 pm (#

The tension rod under the sink, such a great idea!

41. stacey @ www.gettingthroughtheday.com posted on January 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm (#

Love these ideas! I hang my wet rags on little bars inside a cabinet door too. And I love my chalkboard in the kitchen. I need to add a few more of your ideas. Thanks!
    Stacey

42. Laura posted on January 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm (#

Great ideas! I’m going to try and implement a few in my tiny kitchen. We need to de-clutter and re-organize to put our house up for sale!
    My Mom has a turntable (like the one in the first fridge pics) for her spices. It is in a cupboard right next to the stove, so she has spices at her fingertips…

43. Shannon L posted on January 18, 2012 at 8:36 am (#

I bought a fishing tackle box and put all my cake and cookie decorating supplies in it. It’s perfect for the food coloring paste, sprinkles, tips and in the bigger compartment I keep the frosting bags, cupcake papers and the bigger bottles of sprinkles. It keeps it out of the way and organized in my storage room until I’m ready to use it!

44. Amanda posted on January 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm (#

My two favorite ideas are the tension rods, both are brilliant!

45. Cutelicious posted on February 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm (#

Amazing ideas! Thanks so much! Especially when there is little space those ideas can make such a GREAT difference!!!

Love

Ursula

46. Ben posted on February 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm (#

Found this via Twitter and love it! Had to add it to Pinterest on my “Kitchen Stuff” board. Go check out http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/getcrocking/id486292433?mt=8 if you like cooking with a slow cooker!

47. Lori from A Family's Life posted on February 26, 2012 at 11:22 am (#

So many great ideas! Especially for my mini kitchen!
    Thank you!

48. Martina posted on February 28, 2012 at 6:03 am (#

LOVE the conversion chart inside the cabinet!

49. Chrysta posted on March 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm (#

That conversion chart is genius! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stood there staring at the ceiling while I do conversions in my head and hope that they are correct (most of the time I get lucky)! Such a super idea, I’ll be working on that before springtime!

50. Lisa welch posted on March 6, 2012 at 11:20 am (#

Love love love each and every one of these ideas. I did the tension rod one under the sink for spray bottles….. The weight of the bottles bends the rod!!!! What am I doing wrong??

1. Pingback: Using Containers to Organize Kitchen with Aimee Wimbush-Bourque | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Eat Well, Spend Less: Overall Kitchen Organization | Food for My Family

3. Pingback: This Week’s Favorites

4. Pingback: Things I Love Tuesdays

5. Pingback: Desserts | Pearltrees

6. Pingback: Stumbling Along « Socks for Mum

7. Pingback: Organize | Pearltrees

8. Pingback: DIY – Organize Your Kitchen | Brock Design Group

9. Pingback: Tips for Organizing your San Antonio Apartment Kitchen | Costa Bella

10. Pingback: Pinterest Fab 4: Home organization - The Finishing Touch

11. Pingback: Cleaning Your Kitchen Made Easy | 2222 Smith Street

12. Pingback: Get Your Kitchen Organized in Harrisburg | Pennsylvania Place

13. Pingback: Organizing Tips for the Home | TidyMom

14. Pingback: Готовим без стресса: Организуем кухонное пространство « Кулинарные фантазии на каждый день

15. Pingback: 5 DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas | Sortrature

16. Pingback: 5 Easy Ways to Get Organized at Home | Lakeside Collection Blog

17. Pingback: 7 Great Home Organization Sites to Check Out | The Storage Blog

18. Pingback: Top 58 Most Creative Home-Organizing Ideas and DIY Projects - DIY & Crafts

19. Pingback: Top Five Pins of the Week | Mommy Makeover Network

20. Pingback: Creative Organization Tips for the Kitchen - River Oaks Apartments

21. Pingback: Marquis Shoreline Apartments - Austin, TX - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

22. Pingback: Bay Street Apartments by Windsor - Emeryville, CA - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

23. Pingback: Town Center Apartments - Lafayette, CA - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

24. Pingback: Refresh Your Home Tip #2-- Re-Organize & Deep Clean Your Kitchen | English Traditions Blog

25. Pingback: The Augusta Apartments - Houston, TX - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

26. Pingback: Communities of Willowick Park - Houston, TX - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

27. Pingback: Windsor at Siena Apartments - Houston, TX - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

28. Pingback: Forum Real Estate Group - Glendale, CO - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

29. Pingback: Elan East Apartments - Austin, TX - Simple Kitchen Organization Tips

30. Pingback: AMLI Blog: Loving Apartment Living Seven Tips for Keeping Your Apartment Kitchen Organized

31. Pingback: Our Favorite Home Organization DIY Ideas | KikiPad Design Blog

32. Pingback: Marquis at Ladera Vista Apartments - Austin, TX - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

33. Pingback: Park Bethesda Apartments - Bethesda, MD - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

34. Pingback: Lakewood on the Trail Apartments - Dallas, TX - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

35. Pingback: East Park Tower Apartments - Chicago, IL - Organize Your Kitchen at East Park Tower in Hyde Park With These 6 Tips

36. Pingback: Windsor Lofts at Universal City Apartments - Studio City, CA - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

37. Pingback: Hyde Park Apartments - Chester, VA - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

38. Pingback: Our Favorite Home Organization DIY Ideas | KikiCloset Curated Fashion

39. Pingback: Avana Grogan's Mill Apartments - The Woodlands, TX - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

40. Pingback: The Ridgewood by Windsor Apartments - Fairfax, VA - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

41. Pingback: Regents on University Apartments - Tempe, AZ - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

42. Pingback: Bellaire at Devonshire Apartments - Scott Depot, WV - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

43. Pingback: Lakepointe at Las Colinas Apartments - Irving, TX - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

44. Pingback: The Arch Apartments - Philadelphia, PA - Keep Your Kitchen Need and Tidy With These Organization Tips

45. Pingback: Terra at Piney Point Apartments - Houston, TX - Keep Your Kitchen at Terra at Piney Point in Houston Organized With These Tips