DIY/Crafts

How to Make a Girl’s Emergency Clutch

Boy do I have a treat for you today!  The craftalicious girls over at eighteen25 are here show us how to make a Survial Kit.  I can only imagine all fun I could have making these for my self and for all my girl friends!!  Just think, bridesmaid gifts, Mother’s Day, birthday, Christmas!  So cute!
Take it away ladies……………………

Hi there TidyMom friends!!

we are Jennifer, Jamie and Jodie, the sisters from eighteen25 .
We are big fans of Cheryl’s and the TidyMom blog so we are very excited to be here today!!
We don’t know about you but there are lots of days when we feel like we live in the car.
from morning till dinner time….it’s go, go, go.

If you can relate, go grab yourself a potholder.

you need one of these babies!

it’s a girl’s emergency clutch!
(cute potholder turned emergency wallet)

Survival Kit

Make a girl's survival kit from a potholder at TidyMom.net

you know…a catch all!
for the things you always need….but never have.
Make a girl's survival kit from a potholder at TidyMom.net

It’s perfect for your car or purse or boat or camper…..
so, let’s get started!
here’s what you’re going to need:

(just a few things really)
1.  a square potholder (ours are from Target…the Dwell line)
2.  a large button
3.  about. 6″ grosgrain coordinating ribbon
4.  10 snack size zip lock baggies
5.  tape
6.  coordinating embroidery floss
7. sewing machine
diy survival kit
step 1: lay your potholder inside up (make sure your pocket is at the top, either on the inside of the wallet or the outside).  place one zip lock on the right side (zipper toward the  right edge) and place a piece of tape on the top and bottom (to keep the baggies from moving).  place another zip lock on the left side overlapping the first (with the zipper toward the left edge) and tape the top and bottom.  continue alternating sides and overlapping the bottoms of all ten baggies (5 on each side).
how to make survival kit
step 2:  now that the baggies are securely taped in place, sew a zig zag stitch all the way down the middle of the potholder (which should also be down the middle of the overlapped baggies).
diy emergency kit
step 3: fold your potholder in half to make your wallet and find your middle to sew on your button.  we used yellow embroidery floss…just to make a statement.
homemade survival kit

step 4: using your 6″ piece of grosgrain ribbon, fold in half lengthwise and sew all the way down.  (you can use a thinner ribbon or even a hair elastic…this is just what we had on hand).  then, on the backside of your wallet, make a loop with your ribbon large enough to fit over your button and sew down.
and…there you have it!

(back)

Make a girl's survival kit from a potholder at TidyMom.net

(front)
a few ideas of things to put in your emergency clutch:

advil or tylenol
tums
band aids/first aid cream
gum/mints
tooth picks/floss
hair elastics
eye drops
cough drops
emergency medication
matches
feminine products
an emergency mimi (pacifier)
cash
spare house key
nail file
tweezers
pen and pencil (for that cute front pocket, of course!)
Potholder survival kit
Thanks so much for having us Cheryl!!

About the Author:

born + raised  in vegas. These three sisters grew up in a little brick house on the east side of town. The number hammered onto their  mailbox was 1825.

Visit eighteen25 for three fun, crafty sisters who love to create, share fun tutorials and free printables.

Blog
Like us on Facebook

Girls-Emergency-Clutch-Tutorial

Craving more? Sign up for the TidyMom newsletter to stay on top of what’s new right to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest for all of the latest updates

125 Responses to “How to Make a Girl’s Emergency Clutch”

1. Steph @ Crafting in the Rain posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:09 am (#

How adorable are those! Thanks for the instructions!

2. Kristen posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:12 am (#

Such a clever idea!

3. Liz K. posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:30 am (#

Cute!!! Love it!

4. Paula posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:30 am (#

Oh my goodness, how smart is this idea! Love it and I can think of so many practical uses for them. Thanks for hosting these creative ladies Cheryl.

5. Joon posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:31 am (#

I wanted to buy these pot holders SO bad because they were SO CUTE! but my kitchen wasn’t yellow/gray or blue/brown! I wasn’t about to redo a kitchen over a $5 pot holder! haha! LOVE THIS! For creative

6. Susan Robinson posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:33 am (#

These are so fun. I used mine as a travel medicine cabinet. I put various pharmaceuticals in them and labeled the individual baggies with what it contained and the strength.
    I really like your idea though, it could be a handy portable first aid kit.
    Well done.

7. teresa posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:50 am (#

WOW~That is pretty CUTE and nifty!
    Just can’t get over the ENORMOUS amount of CREATIVITY out there!
    WOW!
    Those are the cutest pot~holders I ever did see!
    Hugs!
    xo

8. Anne Kiernan posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:53 am (#

Amazing!!!!! I am thinking I am going to make this as an emergency kit for a girlfriend getting married in a couple of months…thanks for sharing!

9. Beverly posted on March 29, 2011 at 9:58 am (#

These are adorable and so useful!

10. Amy @ A Little Nosh posted on March 29, 2011 at 10:05 am (#

What an awesome idea!!

11. Suzanne posted on March 29, 2011 at 10:09 am (#

What a great idea! I may have to make one for my purse too.

12. Andi posted on March 29, 2011 at 10:36 am (#

I need to find a dude potholder and make one of these for my dad’s car. He always needs Tum or Advil :)

13. Angie Wright posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:00 am (#

So cute! I have a big emergency kit in my car that I actually made when I was the MOH at my best friends wedding. I used my old Caboodle/tackle box thingy from when I was a teenager. It was so handy at the wedding that I decided to keep it stocked and in my car. :) I think I’m going to try this pot holder one for gifts for my friends and family.

14. Devotion Mama posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:09 am (#

Makes me wish I had some cute pot holders! Great Project.

15. Monica posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:16 am (#

OMGOSH these are soooo cute!! I can’t wait to try this! Kids would love this too!

16. Patti H. posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:32 am (#

Love this! I’m going to make these with my 12-13 year old Girl Scout Troop! They will be so excited! Thank you!
    Patti H.
    Livonia, Michigan

17. Audrey posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:45 am (#

I love these!!! What cute little gifts for teachers, coworkers, friends, and family! I can’t wait to try these! Now to find some really cute potholders!LOL

Thanks so much for sharing~
    audrey

18. Jenny posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:51 am (#

What a cool idea!

19. Cookbook Queen posted on March 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm (#

I love this idea!! Who would have guessed it’s a pot holder?!

20. Katie posted on March 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm (#

Such a great idea!!!!! I will be making a few of these for sure! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas.

21. Erica Hettwer posted on March 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm (#

Those are so cute! My granny made me one for all my crochet needles and supplies. They work so well!

22. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction posted on March 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm (#

Love these! What a fun idea :)

23. Amy | She Wears Many Hats posted on March 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm (#

Cute!!! My daughter will love one of these.

24. Jane Norrie posted on March 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm (#

Awesome!

25. Claire @ Claire K Creations posted on March 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm (#

I love it! I’m going to make one for my friend who’s getting married soon. I think it would make a great traveler’s emergency kit. Include a few crosswords and sudukos printed out for the plane.

26. alamama posted on March 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm (#

Great idea! Where did you get the cute pot holders?

27. Hope posted on March 29, 2011 at 8:53 pm (#

Very cute! I have also seen them made into a case for glasses/sunglasses! :)

28. Rachel posted on March 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm (#

too cute!

29. MarytheKay posted on March 30, 2011 at 7:36 am (#

Wow. What an adorable idea!!! Very clever! Thanks. :-)

30. naomi posted on March 30, 2011 at 9:47 am (#

OMG- so super cute and way better than my ziploc bag! :)

31. Kim posted on March 30, 2011 at 9:53 am (#

I want to give these as gifts. Who wants to make several of these for me? Name your price……

32. notyet100 posted on March 30, 2011 at 10:55 am (#

very handy ,will try this,..-)

33. Kindra Hayes posted on March 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm (#

Great idea! Does the tape come off the bag easily…I’d be worried it would stretch and rip the plastic bag.

34. bridget {bake at 350} posted on March 30, 2011 at 4:28 pm (#

Wow…that is adorable! Cheryl…will you make one for me? ;) (I’m kidding!)

Love,
    your friend who is afraid of her sewing machine

35. Nancy @SensitivePantry posted on March 30, 2011 at 8:19 pm (#

Waaaaaay cool. Really.

36. Stephanie posted on March 31, 2011 at 12:37 am (#

Love them!! I was sure that we were the only ones who called binkies mimis. It is nice to see I am not crazy!

37. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies posted on March 31, 2011 at 7:58 am (#

This is freaking adorable! Now if only I knew how to sew a button… at least my husband does?

38. Maris (In Good Taste) posted on March 31, 2011 at 9:25 am (#

What an incredibly vlever idea. Great rainy day activity

39. Janelle posted on March 31, 2011 at 2:55 pm (#

What a great idea! Thanks!

40. Allison @ Alli 'n Son posted on March 31, 2011 at 8:30 pm (#

How creative! I totally need to make one of these, there are so many uses for it.

41. Holly posted on April 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm (#

These are so cute. I came here from tatertots and jello. I can’t wait to make one!

42. Lowri McNabb posted on April 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm (#

LOVE this – thanks so much for sharing. I have bookmarked and now following!
    Visiting from Tatertots & Jello

43. Kristina posted on April 1, 2011 at 10:19 pm (#

Oh I need one of these! I’m always over-prepared anyway! :) Going tomorrow morning to get my potholder!

44. sydney posted on April 6, 2011 at 10:40 pm (#

OMG this is so adorable

45. Jocelyn posted on April 6, 2011 at 11:27 pm (#

Very cool idea! What an easy gift to give to some of the ladies in your life.

46. Ryan Hemphill posted on April 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm (#

I’m going to make one of these today! Love it :)

47. Chelsea posted on May 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm (#

Great idea. I’m going to make one for my car and to throw into my work and gym bags. Thanks for sharing.

48. Jenni posted on May 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm (#

This is such an ingenious idea! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog! Thanks for the cute idea!!

Jenni
    Scrappin’ Crafter

49. Lynda from Australia :-) posted on June 4, 2011 at 3:17 am (#

These are just great ladies, thank you so much for sharing your functional creativity. Best Wishes, Lynda :-)

50. Erin(: posted on June 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm (#

I’m not a mom, actually going to be a freshman next year, and I am very crafty, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea and I’m going to make quite a few for my friends and I just to keep in our back packs!! <3 In love :D

1. Pingback: Saturday Favorites

2. Pingback: May Inspirations » hannah elizabeth photography

3. Pingback: Pat’s Purse Organizer « CreativityDate

4. Pingback: diy | Pearltrees

5. Pingback: Tutorial Tuesday: DIY Emergency Kit | East Coast Elegance

6. Pingback: DIY Organizing & Crafts |Let's Get Organized

7. Pingback: Stacy Sews - Diary of a Fabric Junkie » Blog Archive » Linky Thursday

8. Pingback: 101 Handmade Gifts for Her {DIY}

9. Pingback: Girl’s Survival Kit | cleanhousegal

10. Pingback: Great Ideas -- Sewing Projects {1}

11. Pingback: Stacy Sews - Diary of a Fabric Junkie » Blog Archive » Linky Thursday

12. Pingback: TUTORIAL ROUNDUP |

13. Pingback: 9 Ideas for DIY Graduation Gifts | the bluecotton blog

14. Pingback: Swim Coach Survival Kit | TheRoomMom

15. Pingback: Bridesmaid & Bride Emergency Kit |

16. Pingback: Back to School Teacher Gift 2013 | TheRoomMom

17. Pingback: Girls survival kit. Everyone needs one of these in their purse or car-- need to make these for Christmas gifts @ wish-upon-a-weddingwish-upon-a-wedding

18. Pingback: Pinterest Pretties – Christmas Gift Giving and Making Edition | Fact: This Blog is Awesome

19. Pingback: 25 Creative Gift Ideas that Cost Under $10 - Crazy Little Projects

20. Pingback: Handmade Gift Ideas for the Holidays | TidyMom