Recipes

Earth Day Virtual Picnic – Pie in a Jar

Today, April 22, is Earth Day! People all around the world will be stepping outside and heading to their favorite outdoor spot to enjoy good food in the company of great people.

There will be picnics all around the world, so several of my friends thought it would be fun to have a “virtual picnic”, since we are all spread out across the country!  We may not be able to eat together, but we can all share the food we love together!

Each of us is “bringing” our favorite picnic dish.  Be sure to see the list at the bottom of this post and visit all the other wonderful ladies participating!

It’s no secret that I LOVE pie!  So naturally when I think picnic, I think of pie! I thought single serve, pie in a jar would be even more perfect!

I’ve been drooling about Pie in a Jar since I first saw it on , Our Best Bites. Can you believe I went to three local stores and could not find the exact same jars they used.  So I picked up the 1/2 pint Ball jars that I used when I made cinnamon honey butter, they were a bit shorter and more squatty, but oh so cute, and they worked just as well.

1/2 pint wide mouth canning jars

Find the right jars:

Just be sure to get an 8 ounce wide mouth jar.  If at all possible, get these jars.  It will be easier when you line them with the pie crust, and if you want to remove them from the jar to serve (I think they’re cute served in the jar).

Don’t for get to wash and sterilize your jars.

Pie in a jar

Pie Dough

Using your favorite pie crust, fill the bottom of each jar with pie crust by pressing the crust on the bottom and then up the sides (this is the part that would be much easier with the correct jars – the jars I used were cute and curvy = harder to press into all the little ).  Be sure to leave about 1/2 inch of pie crust past the edge of the jar if you plan to put a top crust on your pie.

If making pie crust if not your forté, you can use refrigerated pie crust like I did. I only got 2 pies out of one crust.  So plan according to how many pies you are making.  2 crusts come in a box, if you roll it out a bit you could probably get 5-6  jars lined with one box of pie crust.

Pie Filling

Whether you favorite pie filling is apple, cherry, pumpkin or rhubarb, any will do! The possibilities are endless.  I will be honest though, I took the lazy easy route again, and just used canned pie filling.  You can too, I wont tell {wink}.  Fill jars about 3/4 full with pie filling.  Add a little flour if your filling is extra juicy, and if you’re feeling like Paula, throw a small pat of buttah on top of the filling.

Pie in a Jar Pie crustTop Crust

I ran out of crust to fully cover the top of my jars, so I used a mini heart cutter to cut out little hearts from the remaining dough I had.  Brush with a little egg and sprinkle with some sugar.

Pie in a Jar Pie crustPress down extra crust and crimp with fork, then place your pretty cut outs on top.

Pie in a Jar Pie crust

Freeze or Bake

Aren’t they gorgeous?!……Now, the really great part, you can stop right here, put the lids on tight and place in the freezer! When you’re ready to eat,  pop into the oven!  Just place frozen jars on a baking sheet, remove the lids and put in cold oven.  Turn oven on 350° and  bake frozen pies for 45-50 minutes.

To bake refrigerated pies (or right after making);  preheat oven to 400° and bake for about 35-45  minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.

Pie in a jar Virtual Earth Day Picnic

Serve

I think they look adorable served right out of the jar, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!  Perfect for a picnic!

Gifting

Pie in a jar would also make a great gift, or would be perfect for bake sales and fund raisers!   Just decorate lids with a piece of fabric, scrap paper, jar label or even just a bit of ribbon!  Our Best Bites shares many crust options and gifting ideas, and Lollychops has created the perfect pie tags with cooking instructions!

Fill your virtual plate with all of other great picnic dishes:

Virtual Picnic

Food for My Family | Homemade Potato Chips and Avocado Ranch Dip
Sugarcrafter |Apple Hand Pies
Tickled Red | Tangy Potato Salad
What’s Cooking with Kids | Kale Chips
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Mini Lemonade Cakes
TidyMom | Picnic Pies in a Jar

I’m sharing this post at Get Your Craft On and Thirty Handmade Days, Southern Hospitatlity; Summer Recipes

66 Responses to “Earth Day Virtual Picnic – Pie in a Jar”

1. Cookbook Queen posted on April 22, 2011 at 7:16 am (#

ADORABLE!!

Love it, Cheryl…so pretty!!

2. Brittney posted on April 22, 2011 at 8:12 am (#

Oh my WORD, how CUTE is that???!!! LOVE it. I think your jars are even cuter all short and squatty. I saved the recipe. I’m so going to do that sometime.

3. Tickled Red posted on April 22, 2011 at 8:23 am (#

Holy cow pie in a jar!! I’ll make you a truck load of potato salad for a few of these. Nummy!! There’s a catch though… you have to deliver ;)

4. Amanda posted on April 22, 2011 at 8:29 am (#

Cheryl… these are AWESOME!! Love the hearts. And all the tips… I might even have to try this!! Gorgeous pics too!

5. Jayne posted on April 22, 2011 at 8:46 am (#

Too cute!!!!

6. teresa posted on April 22, 2011 at 9:42 am (#

These are AMAZING!
    So totally adorable!
    ANd you KNOW I love that little HEART on top!
    I had no idea you could BAKE in those Mason jars.
    What a HAPPY happy picnic!
    xo
    I KNOW your girls LOVE all of the CUTE things that you cook Cheryl!
    HAPPY EASTER sweet~pie.

7. Angela S posted on April 22, 2011 at 9:50 am (#

That is such a cute idea! I have tons of jars that I use for making jam, I just might need to do this.

8. Cynthia@Beach Coast Style posted on April 22, 2011 at 9:50 am (#

mmmm yumny I can smell them now!! I bet those were tasty and they look so pretty!!

9. Robyn | Add a Pinch posted on April 22, 2011 at 9:58 am (#

These are GORGEOUS, Cheryl! I’m loving all of the “in the jar” recipes you’ve been sharing. This one has to be a favorite.

10. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies posted on April 22, 2011 at 10:38 am (#

Cheryl, these are so so adorable! I love the photos, and of course, pie in a jar is just genius, and perfect for serving at a picnic.

11. Wenderly posted on April 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm (#

Those are ADORABLE! I want one right now!

12. Tracy posted on April 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm (#

I LOVE this idea, and I love the cute little jars too! Will definitely be trying it this summer!!

13. Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) posted on April 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm (#

SO cute! What a fantastic idea. I love how they can be reused over and over again, too. Perfect for Earth Day!

14. Robin~All Things Heart and Home posted on April 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm (#

What could be better than pie in a jar! love this … I stumbled! xo

15. Kristen posted on April 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm (#

This seems like such a brilliant idea, Cheryl! Seems much easier than making a real pie, you know?

16. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on April 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm (#

LOVE this! I’m pie crust-impaired, so this is perfect!! Can’t wait to check out everyone else’s yummies!

17. *Just Fran* posted on April 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm (#

Pie in a Jar is awesome. I honestly haven’t been sold on all of the other food in jars ideas, but this one seems perfect for a summer get-together. Thanks for sharing.

18. Kate posted on April 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm (#

What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing (:

19. Baking Serendipity posted on April 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm (#

In a jar is the perfect presentation :) This pie looks extra good!

20. sweetsugarbelle posted on April 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm (#

This is the sweetest idea! And they would make great teacher appreciation gifts also! Love it when I see other uses for cookie cutters!!!

21. Kenni posted on April 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm (#

I love this concept! I wonder how well this would work with my mom’s sweet potato pie.

22. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on April 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm (#

I like the way they look in the low glass jars Cheryl, and the two hearts as the finishing touch is perfect. I’d skip the meal to get to these faster, lol.

23. Aimee @ Simple Bites posted on April 23, 2011 at 6:34 am (#

Such perfect jars for this dessert, Cheryl. They are the nicest I’ve ever seen! Thanks for picnicking with us. =)

24. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on April 23, 2011 at 8:22 am (#

Pie in a Jar? I love it! So creative and perfect for a picnic!

25. bridget {bake at 350} posted on April 23, 2011 at 10:08 am (#

These are just DARLING, Cheryl! And I’m loving the retro-look pics! So cute!!!

26. Sherri Ohler posted on April 23, 2011 at 11:27 am (#

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I will be making Cherry for Memorial day for sure! Thank you!
    Sherri

27. Amanda posted on April 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm (#

Fabulous! I can’t wait to make these. :) And your settings and photography are beautiful, as usual. :)

28. Paula posted on April 23, 2011 at 1:18 pm (#

Pie in a Jar is the best thing to happen to desserts since chocolate! I love that they can be taken anywhere so easily.

29. Kirsten is Comfortably Domestic posted on April 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm (#

THAT is quite possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! What a nifty idea.

30. Jenny posted on April 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm (#

Those are so cute!

31. maysem posted on April 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm (#

Love this idea more and more…and I just need to get to making them! For how long can they stay in the freezer?

32. P K Glitz posted on April 26, 2011 at 11:17 am (#

Oh, don’t you know I saved this one! This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing how you made these.

33. sam henderson posted on April 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm (#

How adorable are these?! I will make it. Love the vintage look you gave the photos. It’s my first time at your site. I see I have lots of looking around to do.

34. jami posted on April 26, 2011 at 1:14 pm (#

This is the BEST idea I’ve seen in a LONG time! I LOVE IT!!! If you can find the time, I’d love for you to stop by and share this at the Tuesday To Do Party.

Smiles!!
    Jami

35. Nancy @SensitivePantry posted on April 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm (#

How did I almost miss these? Too sweet. I’m loving these desserts in a jar. Mmm, pie.

36. Jess posted on April 29, 2011 at 9:31 am (#

Too cute! Now I want some pie!

37. Jessa posted on April 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm (#

So cute! And it looks DELICIOUS too – I really want one now.

38. PattyB. posted on May 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm (#

This may be the most fantastic thing I have ever seen. On any blog. In my life. It gave me warm fuzzies in my belly. I love you. I do.

39. Pamela posted on May 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm (#

Love, love this picnic idea. Can’t wait to use it. Thank you for providing space for this linky party. I’m so excited to check out all the ideas.

May your day be filled with joy and a special surprise tucked in somewhere.

Pamela

40. Glenda Childers posted on May 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm (#

I am popping over from Rhoda’s recipe party. Hope you enjoy my orange muffins (link #99.)

What an adorable and delicious idea . . . so fun and summery.

Fondly,
    Glenda

41. Patty posted on September 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm (#

Hello, I have a question about the pie crust. I want to send these jars to the troops in Afghanistan and I am finding they vacuum seal perfectly but it makes the pie crust soggy. Do you have any solutions for this?
    Thanks in advance.

• TidyMom replied on September 6th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’m sorry, but I really don’t think that would be a good idea, as these would only keep (be safe to eat) for a day or two.

Vacuumed sealed doesn’t make it shelf stable.- sorry.

42. CherylK posted on December 11, 2011 at 10:57 am (#

What a fantastic idea! I’m going to make them and freeze them before baking for easy desserts at home. Perfect little pies to take to a pot luck party all baked and ready to serve, too.

43. Tessa posted on May 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm (#

How long do these last? I am doing a care package for overseas and would like to add something homemade, and these are prefect. takes about 2 weeks for packages to arrive to destination.

44. Anjel posted on October 7, 2014 at 10:38 am (#

Would the crust cook correctly if you were to bake these in regular shaped 8oz. canning jars? I’m new to baking, and I’m not so sure that that crust would cook completely. Any advice is welcome!

1. Pingback: honey ginger lemonade | a virtual picnic for the planet | gourmandeinthekitchen.com

2. Pingback: Tangy Potato Salad & A Virtual Picnic for the Planet-Earth Day 2011 — Tickled Red

3. Pingback: Cheesecake in a Jar Recipe | My Baking Addiction

4. Pingback: Earth Day Picnic for the Planet Recipe - Peach Sangria Cocktail | Dine and Dish

5. Pingback: Kale Chips - the ideal Earth Day picnic food | What's Cooking With Kids

6. Pingback: Earth Day Picnic (Friday Favorites) | my kitchen addiction

7. Pingback: Earth Day Virtual Picnic – Apple Hand Pies | Sugarcrafter

8. Pingback: Homemade Potato Chips and Avocado Ranch Dip for an Earth Day Virtual Picnic | Food for My Family

9. Pingback: Fun Fruit Ideas and Recipes for a Picnic | Bakers Royale

10. Pingback: Friday Favorites {a day late} — Daily Dwelling

11. Pingback: Watch Out Cupcake, There’s a New Pie in Town! Recipe Contest Alert « Nestlé Kitchens

12. Pingback: Easy Potato Salad Recipe | Bluebonnets & Brownies

13. Pingback: Virtual Picnic–Mini Lemonade Cakes

14. Pingback: Earth Day Cookies | TidyMom

15. Pingback: Rustic Blueberry Pie Recipe | TidyMom

16. Pingback: 30 Blogs Full of Recipes Perfect to Take on a Picnic

17. Pingback: Apple Crisp In A Jar {with and without gluten} - My Crazy Good Life — My Crazy Good Life

18. Pingback: Pronti per il picnic? | Flora