Holiday

Red White & Blue Candy Apples

A layer of chewy blue raspberry candy coats a crisp, tart apple in this old-fashioned favorite, Red White & Blue Candy Apples.

Red White & Blue Candy Apples at TidyMom.net

If you follow me on twitter or facebook, you probably saw all my hints and teases all weekend about “what am I making”.

I don’t remember how it happened really, but one day while stumbling around on the internet I ran into Blue Raspberry Candy Apple Magic Mix.  The instant I saw it I knew I had to make some Red White and Blue Candy Apples for 4th of July!

I’m a big fan of caramel apples and candy apples.  Most of the time I only get them in the fall when I see those cute little Happy Apples all over my grocery store.  I’ve never made candy apples before, I thought how hard could it be!

HA!……well, let me tell you, it’s NOT hard if you have the correct directions and a little information.

My first attempt was failure.  I hung my head as tears rolled down my cheeks.  My apples LOOKED pretty.  They looked as good as I had envisioned.

Only one problem………the candy coating was ROCK hard! like a sucker!  You couldn’t even cut it with a knife, much less bite in with your teeth.

So I crawled in to bed defeated, I tossed and turned all night, wondering why my apples didn’t turn out….was the “magic” that it turns your apple to a sucker? :-(  couldn’t be.

Red white and blue candy apples

Day 2 I got up determined to give it another try.

After speaking to my friend Cindy, I discovered the package directions are incorrect…….heating your candy mixture to 300° like the package said, will yield candy like a sucker.  She suggested I try 250°.  …………..and guess what?!  THAT was it!!!! I had a nice caramel/taffy consistency on my apples!

Supplies for Blue Candy Apples

(click items to find them online)

• Apples – I used Granny Smith, but any firm tart apple will work.
  • Sugar & water (per instructions on bag)
  • Large pot for making candy coating
  • wooden spoon for stirring
  • 2 small bowls for sprinkles
  • cooking sheet to place covered apples on
  • Waxed paper
  • Non-Stick cooking spray

Prepare your apples and kitchen/supplies:

• Wash and dry apples and remove stems
  • insert sticks in apples
  • Line baking sheet with waxed paper and spray heavily with non-stick spay (you will place coated apples on this)
  • Pour Sprinkles into one bowl. (leave one bowl empty)

Make Candy Apples

one bag of Candy Apple Magic can coat up to 100 apples – so I only used 1/2 of the package.

• Combine 1/2 package of  Blue Raspberry Candy Apple Mix with 2.5 pounds granulated sugar and 1 cup water in large sauce pan over medium heat stirring until sugar is dissolved
  • Place candy thermometer on pan (not touching bottom of pan)
  • Increase heat to medium high heat, do NOT stir and cook until candy thermometer reaches exactly 250° F.  This took about 15 mins, but can be different according to your stove, so watch carefully. (NOTE: the package say 300° you do NOT want to cook to 300° or your candy will be too hard)
  • When temp reaches 250° remove pan from heat and dip apples working quickly. * BE VERY CAREFUL candy coating is very hot and will burn your skin
  • I sprinkled each apple right after dipping – I held the freshly dipped apple over an empty bowl while showering with sprinkles. (I had to work very quickly, as they did not want to stick well )
  • Place on lined & greased pan and continue with rest of the apples.
  • Place in refrigerator to cool.
  • Once your apples have cooled, you can eat and enjoy! Make sure to eat them within three days of making them, and I would recommend storing in the refrigerator. We left ours out over night in the air conditioned house and they melted quite a bit.

If you’d like to give some as gifts or party favors, cover in cellophane and tie off with a pretty ribbon or red twisty tie.

Red White and Blue Candy Apples

Helpful sites on Candy and Candy Apple Making

Cooking stages of candy making (wish I had found this site the first day)

How to Make Candy Apples (great how to video)

I just LOVE the way they turned out! and they were every bit as chewy and delicious as I had anticipated!! I’m glad I gave them a second chance!!

I think these would be adorable for a 4th of July celebration!!

More 4th of July recipes and crafts you may enjoy:

Fourth of July Marshmallow Pops

Red White & Blue Cupcakes

Red White & Blue Jelly Filled Donuts

Fourth of July Free Printables

Fourth of July Snack Cups

Fourth of July Cupcakes in a Jar

Red & Hot Boom gift and printable

Flag Hurricanes

Made in the USA pins

Red White and Blue Star Cookies

Confetti Firecrackers

Red Hots & Blue Rocket Wreath

@TidyMom or scan my HR code with your camera

@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera

Yum

153 Responses to “Red White & Blue Candy Apples”

1. Tasha @ ToLexiWithLove posted on June 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm (#)

Those are too cute! I could definitely see them for summer too, even though you usually only see candied apples at Halloween, because they are fresh!

2. meaghan (the decorated cookie) posted on June 29, 2011 at 8:08 am (#)

Loooove! What gorgeous colors. I posted a link on ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com :)

3. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on June 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm (#)

Cheryl– These are by far the coolest 4th of July treats that I have seen. Absolutely perfect!

4. Desiree Campbell posted on June 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm (#)

Awesome job! They look bluelicious!
    I’d love for you to share this at my link party… I am doing a post about red, white and blue treats and this would be perfect!

5. Desiree Campbell posted on June 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm (#)

Cheryl,

I just want to let you know that you just got a STICKER from me at The 36th AVENUE… Thank you for sharing!

The post will be up in an hour or so 😉

6. Lyuba posted on July 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm (#)

This is a wonderful idea. You did a great job. So nice, I would be afraid to eat it!

Hope you can come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

7. Lisa posted on July 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm (#)

These are SO cool! I can’t get over the incredible colors. What a super fun weekend treat. AND…thank you, thank you for featuring me today in your 4th of July post. <3

8. Amy posted on July 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm (#)

Hi there! I absolutely love your adorable apples! Just wanted you to know I featured you! Check it out! Thanks for the awesome idea!

9. Hayley posted on July 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm (#)

SO pretty and yum.

10. Lindy@ Itsy Bitsy Paper posted on July 3, 2011 at 7:02 am (#)

I love these! I’m having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party today and I’d love for you to come join in on the fun!

11. Megan posted on July 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm (#)

Yummylicious!

12. Carolyn Murray posted on February 19, 2012 at 10:43 am (#)

These are great! Where did you get that beautiful blue cake plate from?
    I luv it!

13. amanda posted on February 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm (#)

Just found this picture and recipe through Pinterest and I love it! i have a blog and business called Apple Blue and am working on opening a handmade/vintage shop in 2013…. Im thinking these would be a PERFECT treat for the grand opening. : )

14. Karie posted on June 10, 2012 at 8:43 am (#)

Any suggestions for navy blue apples? Would like to alternate navy blue candy apples and carmel apples at my fall wedding as favors…

15. Aimee posted on June 21, 2012 at 11:39 am (#)

These look SO good. Thanks for sharing your experiences and a great tutorial!

16. Vanessa @ Mom's Menu Planning posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm (#)

I love this idea :)

I just wanted you to know – I featured this recipe in my Memorial Day Recipe Round Up

17. Maria B posted on June 3, 2013 at 5:07 am (#)

Stopping by to let you know that this recipe has been featured in my Patriotic Round-up of recipes and craft ideas.

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Maria
    Krafty Cards etc.

1. Pingback: links to favorite inspiring finds | Studio JRU

2. Pingback: CRAVE IT. COVET. LOVE IT. This Week: Love Patriotic Treats for the Fourth of July « The Outlaw Mom

3. Pingback: Capital Confectioners | Blog | Quick Bites: Fourth of July Mega-Edition Part 2

4. Pingback: Red, White and Blue Candy Apples | Family Kitchen

5. Pingback: Celebrations Circle: Fourth of July Ideas | Life of the Party

6. Pingback: 4th of July Dessert Recipes

7. Pingback: Luulla Handmade Blog » Blog Archive » Caramel apples

8. Pingback: Celebrations Circle: The Best of 2011 | Life of the Party

9. Pingback: Карамельные яблочки | Декор - совершенство в деталях

10. Pingback: 12 Patriotic Desserts for Memorial Day and 4th of July

11. Pingback: Great Memorial Day Pinterest Recipes, Desserts and Crafts » The Daily Dish Recipes

12. Pingback: Fourth of July TREATS

13. Pingback: Fourth of July Patriotic Dessert Ideas

14. Pingback: Food Trend: Red, White, and Blue Desserts | RecipeLionBlog

15. Pingback: Fourth of July Desserts | The TomKat Studio

16. Pingback: 4th of July Tie Dyed Fudge |

17. Pingback: 50 patriotic recipes

18. Pingback: » Four Tasty Treats for the 4th of July BrightNest Blog

19. Pingback: Patriotic Fourth of July Sweets and Treats

20. Pingback: 15 Patriotic Fourth of July Dessert Ideas |

21. Pingback: Summertime Brain Hop ~ Week 5 ~ July 4th Fun!! | deborahtox

22. Pingback: Cheryl Sousan: Patriotic Party Décor, Games and Recipes

23. Pingback: Happy 4th of July! « hotmesshostess

24. Pingback: Kids Crafts and Cooking: Happy to be Blue | Two Kids Cooking and More

25. Pingback: Making Caramel Apples | Faux Caramel Apples | TidyMom

26. Pingback: Great Ideas -- Fourth of July Food!! {2}

27. Pingback: How Do You Like Them Candy Apples? | Yummly

28. Pingback: Friday Five! - Creativity for Kids Blog

29. Pingback: Apartments near Kirkwood Community College - Kirkwood Community College Apartments near Kirkwood Community College and Kirkwood Community College housing

30. Pingback: Des Moines Apartments Grimes Apartments in Ankeny Johnston Iowa Apartments in Pleasant Hill area Apartments | Haverkamp Properties

31. Pingback: Fourth of July Pinterest Recipes | Daily Dish Recipes

32. Pingback: Memorial Day Recipe Round Up | Mom's Menu Planning

33. Pingback: 24 of the Best Blogs Spotlighting Red, White and Blue Recipes for 4th of July