Holiday

Red White & Blue Candy Apples

A layer of chewy blue raspberry candy coats a crisp, tart apple in this old-fashioned favorite, Red White & Blue Candy Apples.

Red White & Blue Candy Apples at TidyMom.net

If you follow me on twitter or facebook, you probably saw all my hints and teases all weekend about “what am I making”.

I don’t remember how it happened really, but one day while stumbling around on the internet I ran into Blue Raspberry Candy Apple Magic Mix.  The instant I saw it I knew I had to make some Red White and Blue Candy Apples for 4th of July!

I’m a big fan of caramel apples and candy apples.  Most of the time I only get them in the fall when I see those cute little Happy Apples all over my grocery store.  I’ve never made candy apples before, I thought how hard could it be!

HA!……well, let me tell you, it’s NOT hard if you have the correct directions and a little information.

My first attempt was failure.  I hung my head as tears rolled down my cheeks.  My apples LOOKED pretty.  They looked as good as I had envisioned.

Only one problem………the candy coating was ROCK hard! like a sucker!  You couldn’t even cut it with a knife, much less bite in with your teeth.

So I crawled in to bed defeated, I tossed and turned all night, wondering why my apples didn’t turn out….was the “magic” that it turns your apple to a sucker? :-(  couldn’t be.

Red white and blue candy apples

Day 2 I got up determined to give it another try.

After speaking to my friend Cindy, I discovered the package directions are incorrect…….heating your candy mixture to 300° like the package said, will yield candy like a sucker.  She suggested I try 250°.  …………..and guess what?!  THAT was it!!!! I had a nice caramel/taffy consistency on my apples!

Supplies for Blue Candy Apples

(click items to find them online)

• Apples – I used Granny Smith, but any firm tart apple will work.
  • Sugar & water (per instructions on bag)
  • Large pot for making candy coating
  • wooden spoon for stirring
  • 2 small bowls for sprinkles
  • cooking sheet to place covered apples on
  • Waxed paper
  • Non-Stick cooking spray

Prepare your apples and kitchen/supplies:

• Wash and dry apples and remove stems
  • insert sticks in apples
  • Line baking sheet with waxed paper and spray heavily with non-stick spay (you will place coated apples on this)
  • Pour Sprinkles into one bowl. (leave one bowl empty)

Make Candy Apples

one bag of Candy Apple Magic can coat up to 100 apples – so I only used 1/2 of the package.

• Combine 1/2 package of  Blue Raspberry Candy Apple Mix with 2.5 pounds granulated sugar and 1 cup water in large sauce pan over medium heat stirring until sugar is dissolved
  • Place candy thermometer on pan (not touching bottom of pan)
  • Increase heat to medium high heat, do NOT stir and cook until candy thermometer reaches exactly 250° F.  This took about 15 mins, but can be different according to your stove, so watch carefully. (NOTE: the package say 300° you do NOT want to cook to 300° or your candy will be too hard)
  • When temp reaches 250° remove pan from heat and dip apples working quickly. * BE VERY CAREFUL candy coating is very hot and will burn your skin
  • I sprinkled each apple right after dipping – I held the freshly dipped apple over an empty bowl while showering with sprinkles. (I had to work very quickly, as they did not want to stick well )
  • Place on lined & greased pan and continue with rest of the apples.
  • Place in refrigerator to cool.
  • Once your apples have cooled, you can eat and enjoy! Make sure to eat them within three days of making them, and I would recommend storing in the refrigerator. We left ours out over night in the air conditioned house and they melted quite a bit.

If you’d like to give some as gifts or party favors, cover in cellophane and tie off with a pretty ribbon or red twisty tie.

Red White and Blue Candy Apples

Helpful sites on Candy and Candy Apple Making

Cooking stages of candy making (wish I had found this site the first day)

How to Make Candy Apples (great how to video)

I just LOVE the way they turned out! and they were every bit as chewy and delicious as I had anticipated!! I’m glad I gave them a second chance!!

I think these would be adorable for a 4th of July celebration!!

More 4th of July recipes and crafts you may enjoy:

Flag Hurricanes

Made in the USA pins

Red White and Blue Star Cookies

Confetti Firecrackers

Red Hots & Blue Rocket Wreath

I'm linking up at Gooseberry Patch, Patriotic Project Parade

145 Responses to “Red White & Blue Candy Apples”

1. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on June 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm (#

Cheryl– These are by far the coolest 4th of July treats that I have seen. Absolutely perfect!

2. Desiree Campbell posted on June 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm (#

Awesome job! They look bluelicious!
    I’d love for you to share this at my link party… I am doing a post about red, white and blue treats and this would be perfect!

3. Desiree Campbell posted on June 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm (#

Cheryl,

I just want to let you know that you just got a STICKER from me at The 36th AVENUE… Thank you for sharing!

The post will be up in an hour or so ;)

4. Lyuba posted on July 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm (#

This is a wonderful idea. You did a great job. So nice, I would be afraid to eat it!

Hope you can come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

5. Lisa posted on July 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm (#

These are SO cool! I can’t get over the incredible colors. What a super fun weekend treat. AND…thank you, thank you for featuring me today in your 4th of July post. <3

6. Amy posted on July 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm (#

Hi there! I absolutely love your adorable apples! Just wanted you to know I featured you! Check it out! Thanks for the awesome idea!

7. Hayley posted on July 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm (#

SO pretty and yum.

8. Lindy@ Itsy Bitsy Paper posted on July 3, 2011 at 7:02 am (#

I love these! I’m having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party today and I’d love for you to come join in on the fun!

9. Megan posted on July 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm (#

Yummylicious!

10. Carolyn Murray posted on February 19, 2012 at 10:43 am (#

These are great! Where did you get that beautiful blue cake plate from?
    I luv it!

11. amanda posted on February 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm (#

Just found this picture and recipe through Pinterest and I love it! i have a blog and business called Apple Blue and am working on opening a handmade/vintage shop in 2013…. Im thinking these would be a PERFECT treat for the grand opening. : )

12. Karie posted on June 10, 2012 at 8:43 am (#

Any suggestions for navy blue apples? Would like to alternate navy blue candy apples and carmel apples at my fall wedding as favors…

13. Aimee posted on June 21, 2012 at 11:39 am (#

These look SO good. Thanks for sharing your experiences and a great tutorial!

14. Vanessa @ Mom's Menu Planning posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm (#

I love this idea :)

I just wanted you to know – I featured this recipe in my Memorial Day Recipe Round Up

15. Maria B posted on June 3, 2013 at 5:07 am (#

Stopping by to let you know that this recipe has been featured in my Patriotic Round-up of recipes and craft ideas.

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Maria
    Krafty Cards etc.

16. Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate posted on June 26, 2013 at 10:02 am (#

Hi, Cheryl! Your Candy Apples have always been one of my favorite pins in my ☆- Happy Birthday America! -☆ pinboard, so I couldn’t resist sharing them with my readers on my blog today!

…Wishing you and your family a fun and festive 4th! :)

17. Cathy posted on June 29, 2013 at 1:53 am (#

I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven’t already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday’s at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! . I would be honored if you join us! Have a wonderful week!

Hugs, Cathy

18. Check my site posted on March 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm (#

I’m really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do
    you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A handful of my blog audience have complained
    about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

19. Carlie posted on June 21, 2014 at 6:41 pm (#

I love these so much and I shared them with my readers :)

1. Pingback: Red, White and Blue Recipes - 365ish Days of Pinterest

2. Pingback: 20 Delicious Fourth of July Dessert Recipes |

3. Pingback: 30 Patriotic Crafts, Recipes, & Ideas

4. Pingback: 15 Best Fourth of July Desserts On The Planet - Sarah Titus

5. Pingback: 12 Yummy Treats Ideas For The 4th Of July! | Frugal In Cleveland

6. Pingback: Patriotic Desserts for Independence Day

7. Pingback: 10 Patriotic Desserts {#FarmgirlFaves} » a farmgirl's dabbles

8. Pingback: 10 Fourth of July Party Ideas | That Mommy Kind of Life

9. Pingback: The BEST Patriotic Fourth of July Recipes – Red, White and Blue desserts, appetizers, snacks & drinks to celebrate!

10. Pingback: 101 4th of July Activities, Recipes & Crafts | The FamilyNow Sun

11. Pingback: Last Minute 4th of July Party Ideas - Ask Anna

12. Pingback: Crunch Pak’s Favorite 4th Of July Apple Pins | Crunch Pak Blog

13. Pingback: Parenting News Recap Roundup #29 - 4th of July Edition! | Parenthood Today TV

14. Pingback: 10 Amazing (and Delicious!) 4th of July Recipes

15. Pingback: Red White & Blue Candy Apples | Food Stalker

16. Pingback: 4th of July Desserts

17. Pingback: 25 Easy and Fun 4th of July Recipes, Fourth July Recipe Ideas

18. Pingback: 50 Fourth of July Desserts - Through the Eyes of the Mrs.

19. Pingback: 20 Best Labor Day Desserts - Sarah Titus

20. Pingback: Last Minute Fourth Of July Recipes

21. Pingback: The Best Candy Apple Recipes On The Internet | Gymrat Fitness

22. Pingback: 40 Recipes For All Your Mermaid Rainbow Aesthetic Needs | Everyfoodrecipes, cooking tips, and how-to food videos—all rated and reviewed by millions of home cooks,make the perfect birthday cake, or plan your next holiday dinner.