Holiday

Red White & Blue Candy Apples

A layer of chewy blue raspberry candy coats a crisp, tart apple in this old-fashioned favorite, Red White & Blue Candy Apples.

Red White & Blue Candy Apples at TidyMom.net

If you follow me on twitter or facebook, you probably saw all my hints and teases all weekend about “what am I making”.

I don’t remember how it happened really, but one day while stumbling around on the internet I ran into Blue Raspberry Candy Apple Magic Mix.  The instant I saw it I knew I had to make some Red White and Blue Candy Apples for 4th of July!

I’m a big fan of caramel apples and candy apples.  Most of the time I only get them in the fall when I see those cute little Happy Apples all over my grocery store.  I’ve never made candy apples before, I thought how hard could it be!

HA!……well, let me tell you, it’s NOT hard if you have the correct directions and a little information.

My first attempt was failure.  I hung my head as tears rolled down my cheeks.  My apples LOOKED pretty.  They looked as good as I had envisioned.

Only one problem………the candy coating was ROCK hard! like a sucker!  You couldn’t even cut it with a knife, much less bite in with your teeth.

So I crawled in to bed defeated, I tossed and turned all night, wondering why my apples didn’t turn out….was the “magic” that it turns your apple to a sucker? :-(  couldn’t be.

Red white and blue candy apples

Day 2 I got up determined to give it another try.

After speaking to my friend Cindy, I discovered the package directions are incorrect…….heating your candy mixture to 300° like the package said, will yield candy like a sucker.  She suggested I try 250°.  …………..and guess what?!  THAT was it!!!! I had a nice caramel/taffy consistency on my apples!

Supplies for Blue Candy Apples

(click items to find them online)

• Apples – I used Granny Smith, but any firm tart apple will work.
  • Sugar & water (per instructions on bag)
  • Large pot for making candy coating
  • wooden spoon for stirring
  • 2 small bowls for sprinkles
  • cooking sheet to place covered apples on
  • Waxed paper
  • Non-Stick cooking spray

Prepare your apples and kitchen/supplies:

• Wash and dry apples and remove stems
  • insert sticks in apples
  • Line baking sheet with waxed paper and spray heavily with non-stick spay (you will place coated apples on this)
  • Pour Sprinkles into one bowl. (leave one bowl empty)

Make Candy Apples

one bag of Candy Apple Magic can coat up to 100 apples – so I only used 1/2 of the package.

• Combine 1/2 package of  Blue Raspberry Candy Apple Mix with 2.5 pounds granulated sugar and 1 cup water in large sauce pan over medium heat stirring until sugar is dissolved
  • Place candy thermometer on pan (not touching bottom of pan)
  • Increase heat to medium high heat, do NOT stir and cook until candy thermometer reaches exactly 250° F.  This took about 15 mins, but can be different according to your stove, so watch carefully. (NOTE: the package say 300° you do NOT want to cook to 300° or your candy will be too hard)
  • When temp reaches 250° remove pan from heat and dip apples working quickly. * BE VERY CAREFUL candy coating is very hot and will burn your skin
  • I sprinkled each apple right after dipping – I held the freshly dipped apple over an empty bowl while showering with sprinkles. (I had to work very quickly, as they did not want to stick well )
  • Place on lined & greased pan and continue with rest of the apples.
  • Place in refrigerator to cool.
  • Once your apples have cooled, you can eat and enjoy! Make sure to eat them within three days of making them, and I would recommend storing in the refrigerator. We left ours out over night in the air conditioned house and they melted quite a bit.

If you’d like to give some as gifts or party favors, cover in cellophane and tie off with a pretty ribbon or red twisty tie.

Red White and Blue Candy Apples

Helpful sites on Candy and Candy Apple Making

Cooking stages of candy making (wish I had found this site the first day)

How to Make Candy Apples (great how to video)

I just LOVE the way they turned out! and they were every bit as chewy and delicious as I had anticipated!! I’m glad I gave them a second chance!!

I think these would be adorable for a 4th of July celebration!!

More 4th of July recipes and crafts you may enjoy:

Flag Hurricanes

Made in the USA pins

Red White and Blue Star Cookies

Confetti Firecrackers

Red Hots & Blue Rocket Wreath

I'm linking up at Gooseberry Patch, Patriotic Project Parade

145 Responses to “Red White & Blue Candy Apples”

1. Maggie @ Midwestern {Sewing} Girl posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm (#

Cheryl! These are gorgeous!!! I wondered what you were up to this weekend…;)

2. Aimee @ Simple Bites posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:22 pm (#

Hurray!! Good for you for sticking to it. (pun intended – haha) What a FUN project!

3. Amy | She Wears Many Hats posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm (#

So perfectly festive!!! Fun!

4. Amanda posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm (#

Seriously the coolest thing ever!!! I LOVE these and love your determination! Your effort sure paid off!!

5. jen @ tatertots and jello posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm (#

Adorable Cheryl!!! I need to put those on my list to make for the Fourth!

I shared them on my TT&J facebook page :)

xoxoxo
    Jen

6. Christina posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm (#

Dear Lordie….could the picture of your apples be any more gorgeous itself? oy.

7. Kristen posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm (#

So glad you kept trying and they worked out. Hip hip hooray!

8. Heather - Dollar Store Crafts posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm (#

Oooh, thanks for the tip. We made candy apples & had the rock hard candy too! Such a bummer. These look great!

9. teresa posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm (#

OMGoodness Sweet~Girlie!
    These are THE BOMB!
    Perfect shade of BLUE!
    What a HAPPY treat for the 4th!
    Your family is so LUCKY to have you to create such FUN for them!
    Hugs from Bainbridge!
    I’m LOVING these!
    xo

• Marla replied on June 28th, 2011 at 11:46 am

How much do I LOVE that girl :)

10. bridget {bake at 350} posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm (#

Well, they turned out just darling! Such a fun and original idea for the 4th!!! They almost makes em want to have a party…but that means I’d have to clean my house! ;)!

11. Glory/ Glorious Treats posted on June 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm (#

These are amazing! As beautiful as the apples are, what I really want in your photos is that blue cake stand!! =) Thanks for including a link to my cupcakes as well!! ((Hug))

• TidyMom replied on June 28th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Lol the blue cake stand used to belong to my grandma!

12. Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe posted on June 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm (#

Cute, cute, cute!! Such a fun idea and super festive! Bookmarking…

13. sweetsugarbelle posted on June 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm (#

It sucks that the directions were wrong! I’ve never jamuch luck with candy but they are beautiful now. :-)

14. nest of posies posted on June 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm (#

girlfriend…

these are so adorable & just gorgeous to look at! how fun.

i LOVE caramel apples. they really are one of my faves. may just have to do this over the weekend.

have a super week!

xoxo
    kellie

15. Chaly's Cakes and Delights posted on June 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm (#

These beauties looks delicious! I will try it! great idea!

16. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction posted on June 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm (#

Love these, Cheryl! I bet they’d be a favorite for all of the kids at our 4th of July picnic!

17. Jamielyn@iheartnaptime posted on June 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm (#

These look great!! Such a fun treat for the fourth! Thanks for sharing!

18. Maria posted on June 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm (#

These are awesome! I love the bright blue color!

19. Jill @ Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons posted on June 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm (#

Those look awesome! That is such a great idea!

20. Jenny posted on June 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm (#

These are awesome! They look really yummy and festive!

21. Sue posted on June 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm (#

I saw your hint, but never would have guessed candy apples by looking at the blue concoction in the saucepan! I LOVE the look of them! So bright and fun! Way to go, Cheryl:)

22. Georgia Pellegrini posted on June 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm (#

Cheryl! I just ADORE these! The are so clever. And I seriously have been wondering about that pot of blue liquid on your FB page all week. It’s been haunting me.

23. Julie {Angry Julie Monday} posted on June 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm (#

These look delicious!!!! I want one right now.

24. Kelly posted on June 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm (#

These look fabulous! And I have to say, I love the blue glass stand they are on.

• TidyMom replied on June 28th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Thanks the blue cake stand used to belong to my grandma!

25. Rose Atwater posted on June 27, 2011 at 7:10 pm (#

Those are gorgeous!!! But I must say, the “regular” red candy apples that I’ve eaten my whole life ARE super hard. Like a lollipop. I didn’t know candy apples were meant to be soft!?! I always have to bite hard, shatter the candy (and my teeth) and watch some of that beautiful red glass-like candy crumble off to get to the apple inside. I thought that’s the way it was supposed to be! I get them at the county fair that way… and make them at home that way…and eat them at fall festivals that way.

26. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on June 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm (#

Yup, it’s amazing what a small difference in temperature can make. I went through a candy phase a while back and learned that the hard way myself, lol. Glad you were able to figure it out, they look so fun and festive!

27. Paula posted on June 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm (#

What a great treat for the 4th of July and what a trooper you are for trying them again. Your second effort certainly paid off and your photographs are awesome. You thought of everything…blue cake plate, blue and red napkins, white vase filled with matching pinwheels….it all comes together perfectly Cheryl.

28. Cristin (Pinkie) posted on June 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm (#

WOW! These are SO cool!!! Thanks for sharing!

29. Amber posted on June 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm (#

Sweet holly deliciouness. Not only do these look so pretty, but they look delicious! Congratulations on all your efforts because they turned out amazing!

30. Southern Gal posted on June 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm (#

These apples are gorgeous! The cake plate is even gorgeouser. ;)

My daughter loves the 4th and always helps plan a huge celebration. I’ll have to show her these.

31. Mrs Happy Homemaker posted on June 27, 2011 at 8:33 pm (#

I am SO in love with these!!

32. SMITH BITES posted on June 27, 2011 at 8:33 pm (#

very, very cute and totally worth your efforts this weekend!!!

33. Shannon posted on June 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm (#

These apples look awesome Chery! These are perfect for a children party! They will definitely love the apple and the colorful sugar coated of it! Thank you for sharing this recipe! I can’t wait to try it on my son’s birthday! :)

34. Heather {WhipperBerry} posted on June 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm (#

My friend… these are truly aaaamazing!!

35. michelle posted on June 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm (#

i love love love the color! great job!!!

36. Tickled Red posted on June 28, 2011 at 7:23 am (#

So as I do every morning I wake up, roll over and check my droid. I’m addictied I know. But this morning was different, this morning the first this that I spy through my one cracked eye is brilliant, blue heaven just beckoning to me. Now that I’m fully conscious I can peruse your gorgeous candy apples at my leisure. Oh my goodness darlin’!! These are phenomenal!!

37. Tara posted on June 28, 2011 at 7:34 am (#

When I think “candy” apples, I think hard like a sucker. I cannot picture this being chewy…so more like caramel apples than candy apples?? But, they are beautiful!

38. Lisa R posted on June 28, 2011 at 7:36 am (#

I love these…I have having a carnival themed birthday party in August and these would be perfect. Do you know how far in advance I could make them?

39. Angela posted on June 28, 2011 at 9:13 am (#

I love these they look so good for the holiday coming up. But I love the blue cake stand, where did you get it?

• TidyMom replied on June 28th, 2011 at 12:37 pm

the blue cake stand used to belong to my grandma!

40. Bridget posted on June 28, 2011 at 9:36 am (#

These look so delicious!!! I’m thinking this might work with white chocolate and blue food coloring too. That’s what I thought it was when I first saw the picture. Either way, I’m gonna make some of these!!!

41. Kandi Perez posted on June 28, 2011 at 9:38 am (#

My daughters birthday is the 4th of July and these would be perfect instead of or an addition to a cake! Could I use blue food coloring in the caramel instead of the candy coating?

42. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on June 28, 2011 at 10:39 am (#

These turned out fabulously! I WAS wondering what that bowl of blue stuff was in your teaser photos. What a fun treat. And your photos are great – that blue pedestal is the perfect bright & shiny prop.

43. angie {the arthur clan} posted on June 28, 2011 at 11:12 am (#

These are absolutely gorgeous Cheryl. LOVE it!

44. Marla posted on June 28, 2011 at 11:45 am (#

Cheryl, I have been loving your hints and teases all week. These came out fabulous & so festive :)

45. Lucy Lean posted on June 28, 2011 at 11:56 am (#

Forget the apples – where did you get that gorgeous blue glass cake stand!!!

46. Traci posted on June 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm (#

They look so fun and yummy!

Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

47. aida mollenkamp posted on June 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm (#

So festive! I’m sure they’re a huge hit with the fam!

48. Claire @ Claire K Creations posted on June 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm (#

So pretty! I’ve never made candy apples before but they sure are a great way to enjoy your fruit.

49. Tasha @ ToLexiWithLove posted on June 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm (#

Those are too cute! I could definitely see them for summer too, even though you usually only see candied apples at Halloween, because they are fresh!

50. meaghan (the decorated cookie) posted on June 29, 2011 at 8:08 am (#

Loooove! What gorgeous colors. I posted a link on ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com :)

1. Pingback: The Feeding Edge » Day 270 – The First Wealth is Health

2. Pingback: You Served® – Veteran and Military Blog and Military Podcast

3. Pingback: Festive Fun for Your Fourth of July Celebration! | You Served® – Veteran and Military Blog and Military Podcast

4. Pingback: links to favorite inspiring finds | Studio JRU

5. Pingback: CRAVE IT. COVET. LOVE IT. This Week: Love Patriotic Treats for the Fourth of July « The Outlaw Mom

6. Pingback: Capital Confectioners | Blog | Quick Bites: Fourth of July Mega-Edition Part 2

7. Pingback: Red, White and Blue Candy Apples | Family Kitchen

8. Pingback: Celebrations Circle: Fourth of July Ideas | Life of the Party

9. Pingback: 4th of July Dessert Recipes

10. Pingback: Luulla Handmade Blog » Blog Archive » Caramel apples

11. Pingback: Celebrations Circle: The Best of 2011 | Life of the Party

12. Pingback: Карамельные яблочки | Декор - совершенство в деталях

13. Pingback: 12 Patriotic Desserts for Memorial Day and 4th of July

14. Pingback: Great Memorial Day Pinterest Recipes, Desserts and Crafts » The Daily Dish Recipes

15. Pingback: Fourth of July TREATS

16. Pingback: Fourth of July Patriotic Dessert Ideas

17. Pingback: Food Trend: Red, White, and Blue Desserts | RecipeLionBlog

18. Pingback: Fourth of July Desserts | The TomKat Studio

19. Pingback: 4th of July Tie Dyed Fudge |

20. Pingback: 50 patriotic recipes

21. Pingback: » Four Tasty Treats for the 4th of July BrightNest Blog

22. Pingback: Patriotic Fourth of July Sweets and Treats

23. Pingback: 15 Patriotic Fourth of July Dessert Ideas |

24. Pingback: Summertime Brain Hop ~ Week 5 ~ July 4th Fun!! | deborahtox

25. Pingback: Cheryl Sousan: Patriotic Party Décor, Games and Recipes

26. Pingback: Happy 4th of July! « hotmesshostess

27. Pingback: Kids Crafts and Cooking: Happy to be Blue | Two Kids Cooking and More

28. Pingback: Making Caramel Apples | Faux Caramel Apples | TidyMom

29. Pingback: Great Ideas -- Fourth of July Food!! {2}

30. Pingback: How Do You Like Them Candy Apples? | Yummly

31. Pingback: Friday Five! - Creativity for Kids Blog

32. Pingback: Apartments near Kirkwood Community College - Kirkwood Community College Apartments near Kirkwood Community College and Kirkwood Community College housing

33. Pingback: Des Moines Apartments Grimes Apartments in Ankeny Johnston Iowa Apartments in Pleasant Hill area Apartments | Haverkamp Properties

34. Pingback: Fourth of July Pinterest Recipes | Daily Dish Recipes

35. Pingback: Memorial Day Recipe Round Up | Mom's Menu Planning

36. Pingback: 24 of the Best Blogs Spotlighting Red, White and Blue Recipes for 4th of July

37. Pingback: 4th of July Party Ideas | Today's Every Mom

38. Pingback: 10 Perfectly Patriotic Desserts & Linky Party - A Thrifty Table

39. Pingback: Summer Berry Pudding

40. Pingback: 4th of July Projects and Sweets

41. Pingback: 35 AWESOME 4th of July Recipe Recipes! - Walmart Coupons and Price Match Deals

42. Pingback: 35 AWESOME 4th of July Recipe Recipes! | El Paso Coupons and News

43. Pingback: Red White and Blue Recipes | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

44. Pingback: 20 Tasty Fourth of July Recipes - Coupon Closet

45. Pingback: 35 AWESOME 4th of July Recipe Recipes! - Do Not Double

46. Pingback: 35 Fourth of July Recipes - MyLitter - One Deal At A Time

47. Pingback: Patriotic Recipes & Crafts Round-up : Krafty Cards etc

48. Pingback: 25 Fourth of July Food Ideas! ‹

49. Pingback: 150 of the Best Apple Recipes for Fall | Yellow Days

50. Pingback: Patriotic Recipe Ideas -- over 30 ideas for your 4th of July Party! - * THE COUNTRY CHIC COTTAGE (DIY, Home Decor, Crafts, Farmhouse)