DIY/Crafts

Easy Fabric Covered Canvas Wall Art

Can you believe I finally have a project for you today?

I recently changed the colors in our bathroom. I bought a new shower curtain, hooks, towels, rugs, but that left me with a problem……the walls.

I needed something for over the towel bar.

This idea first hit me when Becca did it. I did mine a little different, since I was only needing small wall art, I simply bought a two pack of Artist Canvas at Hobby Lobby for $4. But if you want a large piece, I would recommend the way Becca made hers.

easy wall art

I love how they turned out! They were super easy…..and cheap!

What you will need:

• Artist Canvas in the size you prefer (I used 2- 11″x14″)
  • Fabric that you ? (I got 1/2 yard of 2 coordinating fabrics- which was more than enough fabric, but I want to do a few other things with the fabric)
  • Staple gun
  • Picturing-hanging wire and screw set

Let’s get started……..

Fabric Wall Art {1-4}

With any size canvas and your choice of fabric, lay the right side of the canvas on the wrong side of the fabric. Measure your fabric and cut to size.

Fabric Wall Art {5-8}

You will want to be sure to iron your fabric, or you will see creases in your finished piece.
Pull fabric tight and staple several times along two opposite edges. On the ends fold the corners as you would a present, pull up tight and staple.

To hang:
Attach the small screws and picture wire to the back of the frame. (I forgot to buy these, so I have not attached the wire to the back of mine yet)

Step back and admire!

This is an inexpensive way to decorate a wall, and when I get tired of this fabric, I’ll rip it off and start over.
The possibilities are endless, and there are so many amazing fabrics available! This was fun, easy and quick…..I can’t wait to make a large one for another room!

Wouldn’t something like this be amazing?!

picture source: the style files

84 Responses to “Easy Fabric Covered Canvas Wall Art”

1. Richella posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm (#

What a great idea! Those fabrics are lovely, and I love the way you chose two that coordinate. And you're right: the possibilities are endless!

Great job! Enjoy your handiwork!

2. Richella posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm (#

Great job! Enjoy your handiwork!

3. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} posted on May 4, 2010 at 12:32 am (#

I love canvas' whether it's covering them with fabric, painting on them or putting photos on them, they are a quick and easy project! I posted Sat. about a photo canvas I just did :) I should upload the painted ones I've done. Really fun stuff! Love you fabric.

4. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} posted on May 4, 2010 at 12:32 am (#

5. Faith posted on May 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm (#

Ok this is BRILLIANT! I mean, I've heard of it before but this reminded me how easy it would be for ME to do it! We just moved and this is the PERFECT idea for my girl's rooms.

6. Faith posted on May 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm (#

7. The Sewist posted on May 5, 2010 at 12:57 am (#

Great i've always wanted to do this but never got round to it.

Glad i found your blog on TCB :)

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique

8. The Sewist posted on May 5, 2010 at 12:57 am (#

Great i've always wanted to do this but never got round to it.

Glad i found your blog on TCB :)

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique

9. Wendy posted on May 5, 2010 at 8:24 am (#

Very cool idea and like you said… the possibilities ARE endless and easy to change ?

10. Wendy posted on May 5, 2010 at 8:24 am (#

11. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm (#

So smart! I have a few blank spaces in my walls and have been looking for the "perfect thing" to put there. This would be great!

12. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm (#

13. Bird posted on May 8, 2010 at 4:36 am (#

Hi!

Thank you for submitting your link to my party! I just wanted to say that it's a Link Party meant for CELEBRATIONS :)

I guess I'll make that clearer next month, as I've had a few non related links..

Thanks anyway for taking the time to link up! I love your blog! :)

I also follow your adventures in the cookie world at 350 and cookie university! :)

Have a great Mother's Day!
    Love,
    Bird

14. Bird posted on May 8, 2010 at 4:36 am (#

Hi!

Thanks anyway for taking the time to link up! I love your blog! :)

Have a great Mother's Day!
    Love,
    Bird

15. Darla posted on May 14, 2010 at 7:18 pm (#

A-HA! Here's more of the bathroom…. I'm still searching for more… you know, just in case.

OH! And? I've done those canvas covered pieces- for my son's bedroom. Nester made me do it. ;)

16. Darla posted on May 14, 2010 at 7:18 pm (#

17. canvas wall art posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:13 am (#

A nice stuff to do,I become interested to try also and create my own design to be display on my living area.Thanks for the share very useful.

18. canvas wall art posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:13 am (#

19. canvas wall art posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:17 am (#

A nice stuff to do,I really like the idea of creating things that become useful to add beauty in your house.Thanks for the share very mush appreciated.

20. canvas wall art posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:17 am (#

21. Metal Wall Art posted on June 3, 2010 at 3:11 am (#

Its pretty neat and stylish. I think its fun to create one myself. A very girly stuff which I will be enjoying making it.

22. Metal Wall Art posted on June 3, 2010 at 3:11 am (#

23. Lucille posted on August 28, 2010 at 6:04 am (#

Yet another useful entry for me. You keep putting out some great info!

24. Alyssa posted on January 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm (#

Thank you so much for this! I just made five of these in two hours for my new apartment and they are perfect!

25. Lori posted on January 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm (#

I was thinking of making something like this but with using styrofoam and pins and putting several together to form a collage and using 3m command strips to attached to wall.

26. Rita posted on August 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm (#

I love the concept. I am in process of doing this same thing but I have a question. I am using Canval Panels instead of Canvas. Can I use the staple gun or is it best to use something else to attach the fabric to the panels since they are thinner?