Croque Monsieur Bites
This classic French grilled ham & cheese makes a perfect lunch box companion or easy party appetizer.
Well, today is the day……..the first day of school!
We’ve bought our school supplies, packed the back pack, picked out the perfect out fit….but what about lunch? I try to be creative when it comes to packing a lunch for my daughter (not always an easy task with a high school girl involved). I think with all the hype about school lunches a lot of parents will be opting to send their kids with a packed lunch from home.
Some of our favorite meal time sandwiches are perfect for the lunch box. I can make extra for dinner and cut them up and toss in her lunch for the next day- they’re just as good cold, and better than “cold cuts”. If they have a microwave in the lunch room they could heat them up a bit, if desired.
My hope is, if I send her out the door with something good to eat, and she wont skip lunch.
These would also make fantastic finger food for a party.
Summary: Summary: These sandwiches can be prepared ahead of time and reheated for an easy party appetizer.
- 8 thin slices of firm sandwich bread
- 4 sliced Swiss cheese, halved
- 8 sliced smoked ham
- dash grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, meted
- Cut crust from bread.
- Place 4 sliced of bread on work surface, then layer each with half a slice of cheese, 2 slices of ham and remaining half slice of cheese; sprinkle with nutmeg. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Brush outside of sandwiches with melted butter.
- Cook sandwiches in large skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut into quarters
Make lunch fun with lunchbox notes and tags
Download and print for free at Oliebollen.com
Has school started where you are yet? What do your kids do for lunch? sack or buy?
I'm linking up with these parties.......please visit them!