Very Merry Tricolor Christmas Cupcakes
with recipe video
Very Merry Tricolor Christmas Cupcakes in red, green and white have a hint of peppermint! See how easy it is to turn plain cupcakes into colorful marble cupcakes and frosting, just like fancy café-style confections.
I love a festive cupcake and couldn’t resist recreating my Patriotic Red White and Blue Cupcakes with Christmas colors! It was a no-brainer to create these Tricolor Christmas Cupcakes with red, white, and green! I also added a hint of peppermint to bring in the holiday season.
So fun aren’t they?!!
LET’S MAKE TRICOLOR CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Mix up a batch of white cake batter, using The Perfect Cupcakes (using a mix) (add a little peppermint if you want to make them even more festive!!)
Divide the white cake batter into 3 bowls.
I highly recommend using the gel-paste food coloring. The color is concentrated, so it does not require a lot to achieve the hue you’re going for. The liquid food coloring from the grocery store will “water down” your batter.
Spoon a little of each color into your cupcake liners, filling about 1/2 full.
Bake at 350° for 20 mins. and let cool.
Spoon a little of each color into your cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full.
Bake at 350° for 20 mins. and let cool. (full printable recipe + video below)
HOW TO MAKE TRICOLOR FROSTING
Fill the bag with white frosting and pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
Step back and admire how fun and festive they look!
CHECK OUT HOW EASY THESE TRICOLOR CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES ARE TO MAKE! WATCH THE VIDEO!
click to see more of my recipe videos
RELATED: Vanilla Peppermint Cupcakes
Tricolor Christmas Cupcakes
- 1 box white or vanilla cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines French Vanilla)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract (*optional)
- red and green gel food color
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- bright white gel color (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, butter, water and extracts using an electric mixer on low for one minute, then mix on high for one minute.
- Divide batter evenly into 3 bowls. Set one bowl aside. Add red gel coloring to one bowl until you reach the desired color. Mix really well with spoon or spatula scraping the bottom of the bowl until you no longer see any white batter. Repeat with the second bowl of batter using the green food coloring gel.
- Using a spoon, add a spoonful of each color of batter into cupcake liners, filling each two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool completely before frosting.
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until well combined, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add vanilla and sugar and blend on low until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy. (*I use clear vanilla and bright white gel color to keep my frosting nice and white)
- Slowly add the cream a little at a time until desired consistency is met. (if frosting is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar)
- Place a 1M tip in a 16-inch pastry bag.
- Using a small paintbrush, line the inside of the pastry/decorating bag with 2 stripes of each, red and green gel color.
- Fill the bag with white frosting and pipe on to cupcakes
- Top with sprinkles
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
LIKE THESE TRICOLOR CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES? PIN IT!