Growing up, we made my mom’s puppy chow recipe for every party or family gathering. The cereal coated with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar was a snack mix that hardly anyone could resist. And the reason behind the funny name is apparent to anyone who had ever fed their dog the white powdered Purina Puppy Chow.
Despite the name, this puppy chow recipe is NOT for dogs some where along the line, it’s also become known as Muddy Buddies. Regardless of what you call it, everyone will call it addictingly delicious!
Since this is the age of food blogging and pinterest, old recipes get new twists with modern flavors and puppy chow recipes are no exception! A quick glance around the web and you can find…..
Andes Mint Puppy Chow, Cherry Vanilla Puppy Chow, Butterfinger Muddy Buddies, Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Muddy Buddies, Chocolate Coconut Chex Mix, Cream Cheese and Carrot Cake Muddy Buddies, S’mores Snack Mix, Mocha Cappucino Puppy Chow, Lemon Puppy Chow, Biscoff Sandy Buddies, Bailey’s Irish Cream Puppy Chow just to name a few
A good mom lets you lick the beaters……a GREAT mom turns them off first!
That little quote always makes me laugh. I remember the fun times in the kitchen when I was growing up and my mom would hand me the beaters. Cake batter was always one of my favorites, and still is! Only now, I have to fight my own children for the beaters!
Since I’m a little obsessed with the flavor of cake batterI decided to whip up a batch of Cake Batter Puppy Chow and use pastel colored candy melts to give it a Spring/Easter feel, but you can certainly make it just using white bark or candy melts. The cake batter flavor comes from shaking the chocolate coated candy in dry cake mix as well as powdered sugar!
Possibly my favorite snack mix ever. I would love to hear if you’ve made a fun flavor of Puppy Chow Snack Mix!
- 10 ounces white chocolate candy melts or almond bark (*see notes for multi color)
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 5 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups dry yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Classic Butter Golden)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup multi color jimmies/sprinkles
- Place powdered sugar and cake mix into a large paper bag or large plastic container with a lid, and shake to mix evenly and set aside.
- Melt bark (or candy melts) according to the package directions, adding vegetable shortening. This will help make the coating a little thinner and easier to pour and cover cereal.
- Place cereal in a large bowl. Carefully pour warm white chocolate mixture over cereal. Gently, stir with a spatula, trying not to break the cereal pieces. Fold in sprinkles.
- Add chocolate covered cereal to bag or container with dry mix, close bag or container and shake until cereal is evenly coated.
- Discard excess powder and enjoy! Store in air tight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks
** To make multi color puppy chow: I used 3 colors (pink, purple and blue) of white chocolate melting chips. Melt 3.5 ounces of each color, adding a little less than a teaspoon of shortening to each. Divide the 5 cups of cereal into 3 bowls. Pour one color of candy melts over one bowl of cereal, add sprinkles, then toss all three colors of candy coated cereal into powered sugar cake mix to coat.
© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
NEW FEATURE: Save recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!
Now that I’ve shared my fun Easter creation, some of my favorite creative friends and I are pleased to invite YOU to wow us with yours!
The Easter-themed Year of Celebrations Pinterest party will be held this Sunday, March 30, and y’all are all cordially invited to join in!
- Amy from The Idea Room // Follow Amy on Pinterest
- Amy from Positively Splendid // Follow me on Pinterest
- Cheryl from TidyMom // Follow Cheryl on Pinterest
- Cindy from Skip to My Lou // Follow Cindy on Pinterest
- Desiree from The 36th Avenue // Follow Desiree on Pinterest
- Heather from Whipperberry // Follow Heather on Pinterest
- Jen from Tatertots and Jello // Follow Jen on Pinterest
- Kari Ann from Thistlewood Farms // Follow Kari Ann on Pinterest
- Kellie from Nest of Posies // Follow Kellie on Pinterest
- Kristi and Kelli from Lolly Jane // Follow Lolly Jane on Pinterest
- Melissa from No. 2 Pencil // Follow Melissa on Pinterest
- Mique from 30 Handmade Days // Follow Mique on Pinterest
- Tauni from SNAP! // Follow Tauni on Pinterest
The monthly Year of Celebrations Pinterest Party is the place to find THE most comprehensive, inspiring Pinterest board on the block. Each and every month, we’ll be focusing on a different holiday or celebration, and this month is all about Easter! Here are all of the details for how YOU can participate:
What: A Pinterest Party to celebrate all things Easter!
When: THIS Sunday, March 30 at 9 p.m. EST/ 8 p.m. Central/ 7 p.m. MST/ 6 p.m. PST
How you can participate:
- Round up YOUR favorite Easter projects and recipes. Anything goes: crafts, decor, sweet treats, and more!
- When the party kicks off, tweet YOUR favorite Easter project and/or link using the hashtag #yearofcelebrations. Helpful hint: We highly recommend putting the hashtag at the beginning of your tweet to ensure it doesn’t get cut off.
- On Sunday, March 30, tune in at the appointed time and watch as we build a board full of amazing ideas – including yours!
- Be sure to follow along during the party to repin and comment on the board’s posts using the hashtag #yearofcelebrations.
We are so excited to PIN and SHARE all of your amazing projects!
See y’all there!
I’m Lovin’…….Cake Batter Puppy Chow Snack Mix
Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://TidyMom.net
Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!
*Don’t forget to come back over the weekend for the I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up post……where I feature a few of the great links!!
What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here